Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
What is it you don't understand about it?
Some interesting read here:
https://forum.sailfishos.org/t/volte...fishos/1093/24

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 459 | Thanked: 669 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ The DMV
Very interesting. s1p might be the way forward for me, as I would rather continue using Sailfish. That would also depend on whether a data-only SIM card would continue to work.

The Following User Says Thank You to klinglerware For This Useful Post:
What is it you don't understand about it?
Well, there's my cheapo Nokia 130 (2017) which is GSM only - I understand this to mean that it simply does not have the hardware to connet to 2,3,4,5G networks.
How can it then be that "The traditional GSM voice call ... still needs the 2G or 3G cell to work", as you wrote?
Does the GSM network itself rely on 2/3G, even if the phones using it don't?

I had a look at what peterleinchen linked but I still don't get it.

The Following User Says Thank You to nonsuch For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by nonsuch View Post
Well, there's my cheapo Nokia 130 (2017) which is GSM only - I understand this to mean that it simply does not have the hardware to connet to 2,3,4,5G networks.
How can it then be that "The traditional GSM voice call ... still needs the 2G or 3G cell to work", as you wrote?
Does the GSM network itself rely on 2/3G, even if the phones using it don't?

I had a look at what peterleinchen linked but I still don't get it.
"GSM" means "2G". Period.

GSM refers to the modulation and timeslot structure that is used to transmit data over radio waves between your handset and the base station. (GSMK modulation, 8 timeslots)

The data that is transmitted can be any of a number of packet data, including digitized voice packets, control messages, SMS messages, IP, etc...

It is entirely possible that the baseband in your handset can only handle and use digitized voice and SMS, however those are just a subset of the specification and the base station sure can handle everything.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 166 | Thanked: 454 times | Joined on Apr 2015 @ Poland
Devices that support LTE but do not support VoLTE (making phone calls though LTE) in a specific operator's network just before a phone call do connect to 2G or 3G network in order to make a call. It is being called Circuit-Switch Fallback (CSFB). After that they (should) switch back to the LTE network connection.
Devices which support both LTE and VoLTE in a specific operator's network during a phone call use LTE network to make a call.

Last edited by mp107; 2020-08-05 at 08:16.

The Following User Says Thank You to mp107 For This Useful Post:
"GSM" means "2G". Period.
Oh! I really did not know. Thanks for taking the time to explain it. I would've stumbled over this for years to come...

The Following User Says Thank You to nonsuch For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
I had a problem for a while whereby, after I switched to Jolla (which required cutting my SIM card), I could not switch back to my N900. The phone asked for the SIM card PIN but that's it, no mobile signal after that.

To cut it short, the problem was that I somehow switched my N900 to "2G only", which rendered the phone incapable to even register with my mobile network (3 UK). As the name suggests, the network does not even have the 2G infrastructure, it joined the scene after the introduction of 3G. Switching the phone to "2/3G" or "3G only" saved the day.

How would you explain that? The phone needs 3G at least for the registration, but then uses 2G for making calls? Or are the calls somehow routed through 3G after all?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
I do not understand your question?
Originally Posted by pichlo
How would you explain that? The phone needs 3G at least for the registration, but then uses 2G for making calls? Or are the calls somehow routed through 3G after all?
juiceme explaine bit here.

If your provider does not support 2G (GSM) then you need another technology. In case of yours it is 3G (UMTS) which both support voice calls with CS. Up from 4G (LTE) you need a VoLTE capable phone.

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Easy to explain, also 3G (which actually is called WCDMA UMTS but some people prefer 3G, maybe they think it is shorter thing to to say...?) provides wireless packet connectivity of many types just like GSM, plus a handful of oter new protocols.

So when you make a CS voice call with your 3G-only network, it handles the packet flow over the WCDMA air interface. Also you have the advantage of having simultaneous PS access which people notice for example when surfing with the phone while having a voice call.

Last edited by juiceme; 2020-08-06 at 10:40. Reason: fixed quoting

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
And further on with the same topic now as I got into speed;

4G networks (which actually are called UMTS Long Term Evolution, or LTE for short) are structured a bit differently from the earlier GSM and 3G networks. On the backhaul side they do not have ATM any longer but are connected to the core with IP routers only.

This is the reason there is no CS call possibility in LTE, and your only option for a voice call is either drop the connection to either 2G or 3G or use VoLTE which is an end-to-end IP based call.

The same thing goes with 5G, just like LTE it has IP only backhaul and core and similarily only supports IP calls.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post: