Active Topics

Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Originally Posted by misterc View Post
thank you
it is indeed so much nicer to just talk about things, even when we don't agree.
or maybe especially when we don't agree, as it is an opportunity to discover another point of view and possibly important aspects of the matter @ hand
I absolutely agree and both you and danramos have shown this community how to agree and disagree without the need for arguments 2 perfect gentlemen !!! good show old chaps.

as for the council thread, it has gone a bit sad due to the derogatory trolling from some members and STILL we get no answers.

Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
Gentlemen you are off-topic. This is a rant thread and I am only seeing civilized conversation. We can't even rant around here anymore. What a disappointment.

I'm here. Now its a party.

Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
Gentlemen you are off-topic. This is a rant thread and I am only seeing civilized conversation. We can't even rant around here anymore. What a disappointment.
apologises about that
we were ranting so hard on the council thread that we don't have any ranting left
we even got a super duper admin to come out of hiding & threaten to moderate us

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
I don't know why... but I remembered this when you said rants...

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
then maybe we should simply agree to disagree
agreed?

i'm not going to try to convince you that we will make Maemo Fremantle (under whatever name) the next buntu phenomenon if the only thing the ppl are interested in is being able to keep using and possible re-flashing once in a while their N900s.

i think we need to figure that out before getting into concrete actions
I can at least agree with your sentiments, even I don't think it'll go very far thanks to every effort by Nokia to spend money and resources to make sure to write closed-source software into every nook and cranny. Incredible. Here's hoping for a big bang, even if I expect a small pop and a puff of smoke.

thank you
it is indeed so much nicer to just talk about things, even when we don't agree.
or maybe especially when we don't agree, as it is an opportunity to discover another point of view and possibly important aspects of the matter @ hand
I agree with you there as well! Son of a gun--that's TWICE now. Is this backwards day today??

Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
I absolutely agree and both you and danramos have shown this community how to agree and disagree without the need for arguments 2 perfect gentlemen !!! good show old chaps.
Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
as for the council thread, it has gone a bit sad due to the derogatory trolling from some members and STILL we get no answers.
That's the most frustrating thing about this particular community (and starting to share this element of appalling behavior we used to see from Nokia)--a severe lack of communication and an inclination to dissuade controversy with silence. :/ I've been in sharp agreement with you about opening up Maemo to the community--but then, this is a drum I've been beating since the day I joined this site and heard that Nokia had intentions to release source code to the community. (Which I suspect wasn't to Nokia's credit so much as component manufacturers... since software that was CLEARLY 100% Nokia's are STILL completely closed.. like the calendar and a lot of the media integration and apps, etc.).

Who is your daddy and what does he do?
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Originally Posted by danramos View Post
I can at least agree with your sentiments, even I don't think it'll go very far thanks to every effort by Nokia to spend money and resources to make sure to write closed-source software into every nook and cranny. Incredible. Here's hoping for a big bang, even if I expect a small pop and a puff of smoke.

I agree with you there as well! Son of a gun--that's TWICE now. Is this backwards day today??

That's the most frustrating thing about this particular community (and starting to share this element of appalling behavior we used to see from Nokia)--a severe lack of communication and an inclination to dissuade controversy with silence. :/ I've been in sharp agreement with you about opening up Maemo to the community--but then, this is a drum I've been beating since the day I joined this site and heard that Nokia had intentions to release source code to the community. (Which I suspect wasn't to Nokia's credit so much as component manufacturers... since software that was CLEARLY 100% Nokia's are STILL completely closed.. like the calendar and a lot of the media integration and apps, etc.).

Who is your daddy and what does he do?
Ha once again a good post from you and one point i do want to make on here about the so called closed software that the community is being held to ransom over.

It is all shite about this closed software because it refers to component drivers inside of the N900 that have now been superceded long time since so what is the sense in holding back code WHEN we have an absolute demanding forum called Maemo.org that can and will progress Maemo should it be released to us.

Nokia are full of crap now and i am tired with the game of legalities that surround the release of code for components inside a device they not only have ceased to make but have publically said ALL support for Maemo has now ceased.

So we rattle on and complain and moan and groan untill someone picks it up for what it is and gets the release underway.

The community council in my opinion is half baked in its role for this community because any council of any establishment is more than capable of listening to its members woe's and acting accordingly.

All we have here from the council of Maemo.org is utter silence and that is just not good enough in my opinion.

Instead we got a few wise cracks like lma who utterly deny any right of freedom of speech and would have us hung drawn and quartered given the chance.

So what is the next step? where and what do we do from here?.

Look carefully and you will see some real rants
AND if it carries on like this, nothing being done, it WILL get worse i can assure you

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Abil_uk: What did you do with the "petition"? When I sign a petition down at the supermarket (we have a lot of them here in California) the person who distributed the petition sends it to the authority it is directed at. Did you send it to Nokia? To whom? What did they say?

Tags
bizarro world, give it up, off site, tmo gone wild, tools mingling, trolling trolls, unbelievable, vanity thread, winding down