Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
Originally Posted by prk60091 View Post
the NIT wont get "popular" until it is as easy as ubuntu/ipod----in my opinion.
simple solution, make canola the default interface. problem, that makes the talets jaust another pmp...

Posts: 868 | Thanked: 474 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Capital District, NY, USA
Originally Posted by tso View Post
simple solution, make canola the default interface. problem, that makes the talets jaust another pmp...
Of course that means developers will have to lean yet another quirky API to make their apps integrate well.

Posts: 259 | Thanked: 72 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Halifax, NS
The thing developers need to remember is that users aren't dumb, they just have better things to do. I've been using Linux since about 93 IIRC and sometimes I just wanna give it all up, it can be a colossal waste of time. I'll be switching from Ubuntu to Mac OS X for desktop use this year. (Though you can pry my MythTV box from my cold, dead, ssh & bash abused fingers)

A2DP may be great, theoretically, but look at the threads about getting it 'working'. Yikes. I'll stick with wired headphones, thanks. Plug and play.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BoxOfSnoo For This Useful Post:
btw, i should probably state that i much prefer the default media player or youamp over the fullscreen apps like canola or ukmp.

yes, i know canola can be run in a window, but for that it needs a cli switch so...

The Following User Says Thank You to tso For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by BoxOfSnoo View Post
A2DP may be great, theoretically, but look at the threads about getting it 'working'. Yikes. I'll stick with wired headphones, thanks. Plug and play.
if nokia took the time to properly implement it in the maemo gui, it would be no harder to use then any other bluetooth handsfree.

the problem is that they dont, so someone else have to do all the work of getting it to work in the first place, and then come up with a way to get it into the ui...

Originally Posted by prk60091 View Post
in my opinion the thing that apple got right- was itunes. very easy to import your cd's and seemless adding to the ipod. very very easy to buy tunes and import... americans are stupid - how many vcr's still blink 12:00? steve jobs figured that out and easied up the process and is making boatloads of money because of that.

-----
linux did not make inroads into the general population until ubuntu made it easy to use.
-----

the NIT wont get "popular" until it is as easy as ubuntu/ipod----in my opinion.
I guess, I like the concept. I just hate how that's the only way to do things (you can't drag and drop as far as I know). Not to mention iTunes is bloated.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

The Following User Says Thank You to Laughing Man For This Useful Post:
Posts: 868 | Thanked: 474 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Capital District, NY, USA
Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
I guess, I like the concept. I just hate how that's the only way to do things (you can't drag and drop as far as I know). Not to mention iTunes is bloated.
But it works. The utility of mobile devices is inversely proportional to how stable and how long things take to work. You can have every feature in the world, but if it takes 10 minutes ( like the GPS ) or is unreliable ( Diablo reboots anyone? ) it severely diminishes the value.

While iTunes is mac/win and slightly bloated ( it's actually not that bad if you don't use coverflow ) that's only a problem for a tiny segment of the computing marketplace as much as linux people would like to believe otherwise.

yep, the rest just buy bigger hardware when they wonder why their year or two old current gear is no longer up to the task...

*baaaa*

Well, when I consider why I bought an n800 it was:

web browsing
instant messaging
voip

Many of the other things it can do are added value to me (I do like having a mini-computer with me to run my own software on).

However, with the iTouch now having mic and etc. it now can do what I wanted in my n800 and if I were choosing today between the two the new (not previous) iTouch would win out.

Posts: 259 | Thanked: 72 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Halifax, NS
The task in this case is simply analyzing, indexing and serving their tunes... which iTunes does quite well. I'd love to find a Linux equivalent that handles the smart playlists, cover art, ratings and syncing options, but I don't think it exists. Songbird is close, but they blew it when they changed the API for all of the plugins.

I wonder if iTunes will come up with a way to sync over wifi - even to a non-iPod. That would (literally) rock.