hello all,

i am considering purchasing a n810 sometime soon. i know wimax (xohm) is NOT available in my area. when i was researching the differences between the stock n810/wimax, i read that the wimax edition has updated browser software among other things....

my question is: if i know that i'm never going to use wimax, should i still get the wimax edition because of the software changes? i was kind of hoping a (less expensive) regular n810 could be updated with the latest 'wimax edition' software. also would there be any other reasons to get the wimax edition vs. the standard n810 that i have missed? sorry as i am very new to the internet tablet thing and don't know much about them. thank you in advance! this forum seems to be the hotspot for all things tablet.

Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
Your information was wrong.

Aside from the WiMax, there is no difference. Same software...

www.ezschool.com - The best online educational experience.

thank you for the reply and merry xmas!
i am definitely going to be returning to this forum after the eagerly awaited purchase. thanks again!

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Nokia publishes software updates from time to time. So if you buy the device you don't have to stay with an old software version.

I have both, and am not in the WiMax coverage area. The WiMax edition has some subtle differences.

There is a "bump" in the back to hold the extra electronics (so I had to pull some rubber out of the area from my hardcase to make it fit). That is the only physical difference. Both come with an AMPS to holder mounting system but the WiMax holder has space for that bump.

I prefer the WiMax color scheme (black/orange v.s. silver/blue). The available themes may also be different.

Some software (e.g. wifiinfo) has trouble since wimax0 is always there and before wifi0 (there is a workaround). When setting up connections, etc. the Wimax stuff will be there and it may add a (largely unnoticeable) delay to the bootup time. It is almost like having a second wireless card since it uses the linux wireless subsystem for WiMax.

The current software is 5.2008 for both (as well as the n800) so if you update to the latest corresponding to the device there is no difference.

Other than the above, the regular and WiMax are identical as far as I can tell - including the same quirks (e.g. the GPS not always locking on both, bluetooth sometimes interfering with wifi, the wifi range, power modes, etc.).

The Following User Says Thank You to tz1 For This Useful Post: