My understanding is after I updated the kernel with fanoush's multiblock hack, my write speed is suppose to increase significantly. However, when I WinSCP files to my 770, it's still hovering around 300kb/s. Is this a WiFi bottleneck on the Nokia 770?

By the way, I ran fanoush's speed test and according to that the multiblock hack worked.

Also, I would like to say that since I reflashed my Nokia with the WLAN bug hotfix, my Nokia hasn't rebooted once!

Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
YEs, wi-fi speed is quite poor. 300KB/s over scp is 'normal'. Try to turn off ssh encryption if winscp allows it or select blowfish cipher (default is 3des I think, which is slow). You can also try ftp or wget from device, it should do ~600KB/s.

Also there were some experiments with 'overclocking' SPI bus connecting wi-fi chip to main CPU. So far it is unstable but there is some potential.

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

The Following User Says Thank You to fanoush For This Useful Post:
Thank you for the info! WinSCP by default has this cipher selection list in order of preference: AES, Blowfish, 3DES, then DES.

One question though: is encryption necessary anyways since I'm connecting through wifi with WPA enabled?

My test using WinSCP and various encryption methods:
AES 310KB/s
Blowfish 345KB/s
3DES 210KB/s
DES 345KB/s

Selecting 'compression' slowed down all the transfer speeds.

Posts: 574 | Thanked: 166 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ BC, Canada
Originally Posted by brian911 View Post
One question though: is encryption necessary anyways since I'm connecting through wifi with WPA enabled?
WPA encryption only applies to the wireless portion of the connection. If you want it to be encrypted all the way to/from the server then WPA isn't enough on its own.

I'm only transfering files locally in my workgroup. That should be okay no?

Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
Well, depends on you but yes, that should be OK. ssh or scp is meant for very good security, you mostly don't need it just for transferring files. WPA is already encrypted so it is almost like on wired network. If you don't regulary use end to end encryption for all traffic on wired network you don't need it here too.

If winscp allows it (and ssh server will accept it), turn encryption off completely, you will get something like a bit safer ftp and speed should go up.

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

Posts: 503 | Thanked: 267 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by fanoush View Post
YEs, wi-fi speed is quite poor. 300KB/s over scp is 'normal'. Try to turn off ssh encryption if winscp allows it or select blowfish cipher (default is 3des I think, which is slow). You can also try ftp or wget from device, it should do ~600KB/s.

Also there were some experiments with 'overclocking' SPI bus connecting wi-fi chip to main CPU. So far it is unstable but there is some potential.
Well, I'm currently using 'overclocked' wlan driver with Nokia 770 (divisor set to 3, one step down from unreliable settings), openssh is configured to use 'arcfour' encryption (yes, I know it has a security flaw). Nokia 770 filesystem is mounted with sshfs on my desktop PC and I use it to move files to the device. It works perfectly and provides speed ~570KB/s. So I have no need for USB anymore Hopefully wlan speed can be improved further.

OMAP1710 should have hardware acceleration for DES/3DES. I wonder if it would be possible/realistic to patch kernel and openssh to use it?

Where can I find the "overclocked" WAN driver?

Heck, if I could combine the best kernel revision with the 24mhz mmc driver and this wlan driver, my (kid's) 770 would be about perfect. I'd want the 52mhz mmc driver since I have a better rsmmc card than he does.

So what's the best way to build one's own kernels for the 770? I have a gcc4.1.2 toolchain built on my linux box (for distcc when building for my NSLU2). Is that sufficient or would I need to setup scratchbox?

Posts: 503 | Thanked: 267 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Helsinki
I can share a precompiled binary, but installing it is a bit tricky. Maybe fanoush can add two versions of cx3110x.ko to the memory corruption bugfix installer, with the option to choose between normal and highspeed version. On the other hand, I have some more patches added, one of them retries waking up wlan chip if the first attempt failed (standard driver just sets internal error flag and stops working properly if such error occurs). From the user's point of view, it looks like a sudden loss of connection while wlan indicator shows that it is still online, this problem disappears after reconnecting. Error messages in dmesg are somewhat similar to https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=329
Subjectively this problem seems to happen more often at higher McBSP bus frequency, while I also have seen it when running wlan driver at normal speed.

I never tried compiling kernel outside scratchbox. Installing scratchox would be a good idea anyway unless you are looking for extra problems/new experience Step by step instructions for compiling kernel and cx3110x can be found in maemo wiki.

Last edited by Serge; 2007-12-11 at 22:33.

Originally Posted by brian911 View Post
My understanding is after I updated the kernel with fanoush's multiblock hack, my write speed is suppose to increase significantly. However, when I WinSCP files to my 770, it's still hovering around 300kb/s. Is this a WiFi bottleneck on the Nokia 770?

By the way, I ran fanoush's speed test and according to that the multiblock hack worked.

Also, I would like to say that since I reflashed my Nokia with the WLAN bug hotfix, my Nokia hasn't rebooted once!
Hi Brian: can you give links to these two fixes (speed and WLAN)? I just started booting from mmc1 - do you know if these will work for my setup?
http://maemo.org/community/wiki/howt...from_mmc_card/
Thanks!
Patti