Bit busy at the moment and only having a chance to follow this up occasionally - thanks for all the replies!

- I was getting around 2 days battery life with low usage and the Sim in, reduced to around half a day since I removed it (can't restore it as Sim contract cancelled). Unless there's a massive coincidence in timing, I don't believe the problem is with the battery.

- I've tried installing Cellular Modem Control Buttons. It gets to the end of the install, says it's installed, but doesn't show up in the powerkey menu (even after reboot)

- Can't find powertop, where can I get this? I tried fremantle_extras-devel_non_free, but that seems not to work any more, or at least not with my device (fremantle 1.3)

Thanks all

Graham

The Following User Says Thank You to marinheiro For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
http://repository.maemo.org/extras-d..._1.2_armel.deb

It's non-free, for some reason.

If Cellular Modem Controls doesn't cut it for you, try Advanced Interface Switcher. Similar thing, only a different level of fine-tuning and using different menu.

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 473 | Thanked: 141 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Virginia, USA
I still use mine on a daily basis. I was using it as my phone up till about a year ago, when my company gave me an iphone (which I hate, for the record). My N900 is my "brain prosthesis" as a friend of mine calls it.

I use the iphone as a phone, but I use the N900 as (among other things) my book reader, note taker, media player (I'm not about to upload all of my media to itunes, and even if I were, I run Linux on the desktop, so apple says I can't anyway...). The FM transmitter means that I can play my podcasts in the car without a bunch of extra wires.

I have both the N900 and the iphone paired with my LG Tone (HBS-700) bluetooth headset, the iphone paired using the HSP/HFP profiles, and the N900 using the A2DP/AVRCP profiles. Unfortunately, the iphone requires you to buy a $5 app to turn off bluetooth profiles, and I was not about to do that, considering I was able to do it in about 10 seconds in vim on the N900.

So my N900 is used almost as heavily now as when it was my primary phone.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VulcanRidr For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
If Cellular Modem Controls doesn't cut it for you, try Advanced Interface Switcher. Similar thing, only a different level of fine-tuning and using different menu.
Powertop installs OK, though not straightforward to interpret.

But Advanced Interface Switcher behaves just like Cellular Modem UI - it seems to install fine, no error messages during the install, but doesn't display anything at all in the menus. Tried purging, reinstalling, rebooting etc - nothing.

Graham

Posts: 31 | Thanked: 50 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Ireland
To play my music collection, I have mpd running on an old laptop connected to my hifi system. With mmpc loaded up on the N900, remote control of the music is effortless.

Last edited by zerox; 2013-05-07 at 00:25. Reason: Sorry, on the first attempt I wrote 'gmpc' instead of 'mmpc'.

I think the main issue about using the n900 as webserver or any kind of server is the fact it can only connect to the network through wifi, instead of ethernet

The Following User Says Thank You to JadeH For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,048 | Thanked: 1,127 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Amsterdam
Originally Posted by zerox View Post
To play my music collection, I have mpd running on an old laptop connected to my hifi system. With mmpc loaded up on the N900, remote control of the music is effortless.
Which has me wonder about the versions of MPD you are running on your client/server. For some reason the latest git version 0.17.3 does not want to pick up on the stream of 0.16.3 running on my laptop.

Posts: 31 | Thanked: 50 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Ireland
Originally Posted by anthonie View Post
Which has me wonder about the versions of MPD you are running on your client/server. For some reason the latest git version 0.17.3 does not want to pick up on the stream of 0.16.3 running on my laptop.
The server (the old laptop) is running Debian Squeeze, for which the mpd package version is 0.15.12-1.1. The N900 is running the version of mmpc found in Extras-Devel.

I have had no problem communicating with the server from a variety of clients on various platforms - the Ario client is particularly good.

The Following User Says Thank You to zerox For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,048 | Thanked: 1,127 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Amsterdam
Thanks. I will give the older version a try. I had read some reports that the 0.17 branch had it's httpd streaming broken on some configurations.

Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
Originally Posted by marinheiro View Post
But Advanced Interface Switcher behaves just like Cellular Modem UI - it seems to install fine, no error messages during the install, but doesn't display anything at all in the menus. Tried purging, reinstalling, rebooting etc - nothing.

Graham
Might be a problem with your modem actually not showing up as device anymore, due to hw defect. This might also be the root cause of power hogging. You *might* be able to cure this issue by removing a few kernel modules and libs from rootfs that would otherwise try to talk to broken modem all the time in vain. I know this is only a poor pointer into a direction that *might* help. Sorry I don't have more detailled advice for you.

/j

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:

Tags
nokia n900