Active Topics

Notices

Poll: Based on your review of www.ratemyarea.com, would you like to see this app ?
Poll Options
Based on your review of www.ratemyarea.com, would you like to see this app ?

Posts: 334 | Thanked: 94 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Ireland
Hi all,

Is anyone working on a Rate My Area app for the N900 www.ratemyarea.com

Its a great service website for reading reviews of your local area, there is an iPhone app for it, so probably there are API details to allow access.

Anyone want to give it a shot, id do it myself but dont know the first thing about coding for Linux

Thanks

Colm

Ok 98 views of this topic and of the 98, no one had a comment or thought this would be a nice app to have on their N900 ?

To the 98 people, did you have no opinion at all, please vote using the poll if you would like it, i think it would be a great app to have if its possible.

Posts: 1,411 | Thanked: 1,330 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Tatooine
Originally Posted by colm.smyth View Post
Ok 98 views of this topic and of the 98, no one had a comment or thought this would be a nice app to have on their N900 ?
Surely not making a comment nor voting is a message in itself?!

The Following User Says Thank You to jedi For This Useful Post:
well perhaps, but its poor show, id love to be able to come out of a show or restaurant and if i had a good experience or bad be able to rate it.

for example, say i wanted to look up pubs in my local area, this is a brilliant way to do it.

So I think not even saying no if a person didn't think it was a good idea is just plain lazy, I took the time to ask the question, 98 people decided to view the question, would it have killed them to tick a button ?

Originally Posted by jedi View Post
Surely not making a comment nor voting is a message in itself?!

Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
No public API from what I can tell. In fact, there is no information at all for developers. It's a commercial service (for businesses), so they probably want tight control over the information.

Most of the applications for these kind of services are proprietary (either developed in-house or contracted out), so there isn't much chance of third-party alternatives.

My website

GitHub

Last edited by marxian; 2011-03-24 at 15:40.

Perhaps, i was not able to find anything but would be somewhat unusual to keep it locked from 3rd party apps, their app is free.

If there is no api id say one may be coming soon as the service grows

Originally Posted by marxian View Post
No public API from what I can tell. In fact, there is no information at all for developers. It's a commercial service (for businesses), so they probably want tight control over the information.

Posts: 1,411 | Thanked: 1,330 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Tatooine
well perhaps, but its poor show, id love to be able to come out of a show or restaurant and if i had a good experience or bad be able to rate it.
Well, that's very nice for you. Your opinions aren't shared by everyone here.

So I think not even saying no if a person didn't think it was a good idea is just plain lazy, I took the time to ask the question, 98 people decided to view the question, would it have killed them to tick a button ?
No it's not 'plain lazy'. Maybe some people just don't give a toss either way.

thats not the point....at all

Someone is asking a question about the possibility of an app and what do people think....and people dont give a toss as you put it...very nice community this place is turning into if thats the case.

Seriously if you look at the question how hard is it to interact, why does it take me having to take this approach just to get a response

Originally Posted by jedi View Post
Well, that's very nice for you. Your opinions aren't shared by everyone here.

No it's not 'plain lazy'. Maybe some people just don't give a toss either way.

why does it take me having to take this approach just to get a response[?]
I'm not sure you can handle the truth, but when developers read sh*t like this:

Anyone want to give it a shot, id do it myself but dont know the first thing about coding for Linux
our blood usually starts boiling.

If you can reason you can code. If you can't reason, then it's cool, keep begging, but expect less than nothing.

thats a bull **** answer and you know it...look at people like Tommi who has made TwimGo, he is making steller apps, answers every tweet and encourages ideas for apps.

if the N900 had more apps like his and the like thats on other platforms them Maemo would never have been let die.

instead whats happens when someone asks....will its clear to see.

The vast majority of people on here are great, however there is a rotten tone of late engulfing the community.

Originally Posted by daperl View Post
I'm not sure you can handle the truth, but when developers read sh*t like this:

our blood usually starts boiling.

If you can reason you can code. If you can't reason, then it's cool, keep begging, but expect less than nothing.

Tags
applications, just shoot me, kill me now!, ratemyarea, request