Active Topics

My current cellular provider is Cingular. I could switch, but it's presumably easier not to.

I don't have much use for voice communication, and I'd prefer the compatible cell-phone be as physically small as possible. No special features required on the cell-phone.

From their website, I can't really tell which phones have which features and honestly I'm not sure what Bluetooth features I'm looking-for to get the best performance.

Do I just need "DUN"? Or is there something preferable? Can I just look for DUN, or is EDR DUN preferable?

The Verizon Wireless PN-820 smartphone looks like EXACTLY what I want (I think). It's not available through Cingular though.

Any tips or clarification would really be appreciated.

Mike

EDR is preferable, if you have a 3G connection in your area, at least. I'd try for it regardless, actually.

PAN support is said to work well these days, but is not Nokia-provided, if you care about that. PAN is better (more features) than DUN in the abstract, but DUN suffices... <shrug />

I hate to turn this into a cellular primer, but...

Yes 3G is available in my area via Cingular.

So ideally I'd want a phone that's EDR, DUN AND 3G?

Do I have that right, or am I mixing stuff up?

Mike

Cingular provides a list of handsets under LaptopConnect Support that are compatible via bluetooth with their Communication Manager v6.7 for Windows.

That doesn't necessarily tell me anything about EDR DUN or 3G.

LG
CU320
CU400
CU500
Trax

Motorola
RAZR V3xx
RAZR2 V9

Nokia N75

Samsung
A717
A727
SGK-ZX20
SYNC

Now I just need to figure out which ones support support EDR DUN & 3G and ideally are physically small.

Mike

Posts: 274 | Thanked: 62 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Helotes, TX
Originally Posted by michael_aos View Post
I hate to turn this into a cellular primer, but...

Yes 3G is available in my area via Cingular.

So ideally I'd want a phone that's EDR, DUN AND 3G?

Do I have that right, or am I mixing stuff up?

Mike
Just to give you a point of reference, I am a Cingular customer, I have a Nokia 6555 w/3G. My N800 with OS2008 "just worked" after pairing with the 6555.

Lately, I've gotten quite addicted to listening to last.fm via Vagalume, through my phone while driving to work. Four "rock" stations (well, my kind of R&R) in San Antonio, and I prefer "Play artists like..."

"There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and BSD. We don't believe this to be a coincidence. " - Jeremy S. Anderson

There's nothing on AT&T's website to lead me to believe the Nokia 6555 is compatible.

Makes me wonder what else they have that would work too?

That looks about perfect though.

Based on your usage so far, which DataConnect Plan would you pick?

10MB - $24.99
20MB - $34.99
50MB - $44.99
5GB - $60

Mike

Posts: 1,656 | Thanked: 1,196 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Alabama, USA
Personally I have a Samsung A737 with cingulars MediaNet Unlimited. Doesn't technically allow for tethering but I was told that it was the only data plan for my phone so I took it. Works fine and no over charges. $15 a month

The Nokia 6555 is $50 with a $50 mail-in rebate.

The a737 is $79.99 with a $50 mail-in rebate.

LG CU515 is $89.99 with a $50 mail-in rebate.

They seem all the same to me, so I figured I'd pick the least-expensive one (N6555).

I can generally add the unlimited data-plan to my calling plan for $45, but their web storefront won't give me the option when I select the Nokia 6555.

I might give that Media Net feature a try.

Posts: 1,656 | Thanked: 1,196 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Alabama, USA
Yeah they will only allow you to add the unlimited data play for PDA/Smartphones to ones they considered a smartphone. So like on my a737 media net is only option. Its plenty fast enough for what I use it for.

They're offering a free USB 3G modem if I sign up for the $45/month unlimited DataConnect package.

Can I just toss the modem in my junk-drawer and use the unlimited DataConnect package via the N6555 tethered to my N810?

EDR DUN 3G and all that jazz.

Mike