Notices

Mytube runs YouTube videos smooth as silk on my N800/OS2008 over 6Mbps wifi without balking. Reference video is TOP RATED - I Hate Loving You by Karyn Garcia. 2:59.

Canola 2 plays the same YouTube video in little jerks, even if I wait for the downloading to stop. The CPU meter shows 2 bars, 1/2 load, then jumps to full at times. After the video has stopped playing and Canola 2 is just sitting there, the meter continues to show half scale loading from all the pretty graphics? But, alas, the meter doesn't budge when MyTube is playing that same video. It sits at the bottom on the CPU meter, occasionally bumping up to half like it does when only the background load is playing on the home screen. Oddly, none of the running processes on the processes list shows over 2 or 3% load. Some process Canola 2 uses that's not listed eats the CPU and the videos. As soon as I back out and Exit Canola 2, the CPU meter drops to idle only bumping up half way when OM Weather or one of the background processes like the email goes to the net. The only "load" on the processes list is hildon-desktop from 1-8% and Xomap occasonally at 3%

This same thing happens to DivX movies. Boot mplayer and play a big divx movie off the external 16GB card, plays like HDTV. Play with Canola 2, system goes back to jerking the video from the load on it.

The combination of already-running background processes that bump the CPU to half scale, occasionally, plus the extra load of Canola 2 just overrun what the little processor is capable of, probably from all the pretty graphics MyTube doesn't have.

It's a beautiful piece of work and I thank all involved, but it may be too grandiose for the little tablet computer...and getting more grandiose all the time?

Posts: 1,412 | Thanked: 594 times | Joined on Aug 2005 @ Recife, Brazil
Hi w4csc:

Well, I think you didn't know one fact about and took a little too further the conclusions, but in the end : I can "agree" with you in a lot of points you said.

But here comes some facts:

mytube does not use the embedded mode of playback. IT OPENS MPLAYER. this means : that they don't face the same "jerks" because they are not Playing, they are asking mplayer to play.

Mplayer embedded mode is KNOWN to be worse, unfortunately. But fortunately there's a lot of incredible developers in the team, working things out and improving the software. If you took a look to really investigate the problem (instead of relying on "eye analysis" of the "top" command on your applet you would find this :

http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=18231

that not only people there say it's working way better (even canola plays better) and look, we didn't change one line.

So before pointing out like this, you can look at the facts, and at least at our comments in the issue, to see that we are not giving excuses, we are working to improve and letting everyone knows what's happening.

Could we just said "Ah to hell with UI" and opened mplayer in fullscreen (like other media players do?" yes, and you would have the same performance, but we believe that those projects are working in progress just like ourselves.

So yes, we maybe went a little too further, but it's fixable. But we do thought about cpu, memory and everything else. We do use a lot of memory (images for sure) but we tried to keep it in a sane amount, even reduced a LOT from canola1, to respect the user.

Also, take a look in the 770 version it runs smooth, (of course where the load is greater like the photos etc things go slower) but the real problem is when? playback. and it's not because of memory.

But anyways, If you are inside canola and hit fullscreen in the video : NOTHING is drawn by canola, and only basic stuff a kept running. I can show you here, real numbers from cpu usage, and you will see if there's nothing animated on screen, you have almost no cpu usage from our side. We use dbus to listen to events just like any other good applications, and we do follow rules to avoid cpu abuses and so on, we are not crazy developers trying to eat your whole memory.

The same thing also happens with the DivX movies (the embedded mode is really slower) and so you will indeed have a bad experience : /

So is not the Canola2 graphical madness that kills mplayer.

And no, we are not increasing memory usage.

Sorry if this sounds rude, but to read this comment, knowing that this issue has been discussed a lot here, knowing that we are "crazy" worried with cpu consumptions (of course scrolling alpha blended graphics really fast will bump any cpu) but when standing still it maybe bumping, but then we have a bug to fix, if Canola would have this (cpu high or even 50%) when completely stopped, we wouldn't have started the project.

So if you want to run more accurate tests, (top is not that accurate) we have some profiling tools we can help you giving the directions on how to use them.

Cheers,

Marcelo
OpenBossa Labs @ INdT, Recife Brazil
http://openbossa.indt.org

The Following User Says Thank You to handful For This Useful Post:
Posts: 566 | Thanked: 145 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Tallahassee, FL
Marcelo --

I could have *sworn* that this issue was raised earlier, and you guys were looking into it... but I cannot find a reference to it in this thread or the youtube plugin thread.

At (seemingly) random times while viewing content on youtube, Canola becomes completely unresponsive. The audible feedback ("click") is heard when canola controls are selected (such as to load/play a video, or to click the 'back' button, etc), but nothing happens. The only way out is to hit the hardware "home" key, which will bring up the task-switch window in the lower left. At that point, one of two scenarios unfold:

1) You can close Canola from that menu by selecting the [X] to the right of the application name in the menu. If you then re-start Canola and re-enter the youtube plugin, you can pull up lists of videos, and select them to load/play, and the progress meter will almost immediately go to "100%", but nothing ever plays. You'll need to exit Canola (if the buttons are responsive, and it lets you), or you have to try to "task switch" back out. This sometimes also fails, and the tablet becomes totally unresponsive. Attempts to power off (to "cold boot") will hang with a "Nokia" graphic on the screen, and it won't completely shut down until you physically remove the battery from the unit.

2) You can't close Canola from the task-switch menu, and occasionally cannot even select the "home" option on that menu. You'll need to power-cycle and reboot the device, possibly resorting to physical removal of the battery to accomplish this, as outlined above.

I don't seem to have any problems within Canola if I stay away from the youtube plugin. I can watch videos, listen to podcasts, etc. without seeing the behavior I described above. My experiences with the youtube plugin in this beta (and this never occurred in the previous beta) always seem to end with having to completely shut the machine down, usually also involving physical removal of the battery to accomplish this. After four or five times through this ritual, I usually just "give up" and decide to do something else rather than continue the torture. (In this case, tonight, *this message* is the 'something else' -- I was trying to watch the various videos on youtube regarding the 8 teens who attacked the girl in polk county florida; I typed "florida polk girl attack" in the youtube search, and was presented with the list of videos. I watched a few, then experienced the problem above. Rebooted (which required removal of the battery to accomplish), restarted Canola, re-entered the youtube plugin, re-typed the search term, re-acquired the return list, scrolled down to where I was before, and watched another two videos, and the problem occurred again. Lather, rinse, and repeat. Five times through this whole ritual, and I'm done playing with the n800 for the night. It's just too emotionally taxing, and I don't want to hurl it at a wall or anything to vent my growing frustration.

Anyway, do you recall this youtube problem being described before? You don't have to be searching videos to experience it -- just pull up the "featured" list, or the "most viewed" list a couple times, and it'll happen. I seem to remember someone saying they could reproduce it by scrolling immediately to the bottom of a returned list, or something... (again, I couldn't find that post when I just browsed the forum).

Last edited by briand; 2008-04-12 at 04:54.

Hi Briand,

It was said, but always in middle or in other ways.. so really don't need to worry if you made the search is already good enough )

The problem : the thing is really the communication between canola and mplayer. It seems that sometimes when mplayer hangs canola them can become unresponsive and so on. We are expecting that the new version (that people is already telling here in the forum works a lot better with canola) solves also a little bit of those problems.

BR

MArcelo

Posts: 566 | Thanked: 145 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Tallahassee, FL
marcelo --

much thanks for the response! is there an update to mplayer, then, that I should install? where would I find it (or is it pending release very soon) ?

Hi Briand, there's a thread here in the ITT forums, but you need to compile etc. So it's not "ready" for prime time : /

Br

Marcelo

Originally Posted by vvaz View Post
Another bug:

When unlocking IT (N800, OS2007) with | {square} and Canola being on "Now playing" screen sequence is catched by Canola and treated as play/pause.
I got to agree with u on this issue however i have it one OS2008 and i also noticed that this happens every time i try to go into screen lock mode, or there is any other "pop-up" over the now playing screen in Canola. Furthermore it seems to only respond to the "enter" or center button on the D-pad and none of the other ones

Hei guys,

This has been solved, will be on the next Update.

Cheers,

Marcelo

Posts: 449 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Apr 2006 @ Eureka, CA
When using Canola2 B8 if I disconnect from the network almost every time the next time I do some action in Canola the entire tablet crashes. So - if I am home listening to something then go out for a walk with the n800 it will crash. I say almost every time, as I am not 100% sure, but it did happen to me 3 times today. Is there some additional info that would be helpful here?

I'm having a power consumption issue, and I am not sure if it is related to Canola, but it has happened a couple of times, and I am trying to figure out why.

On most days I charge over night, listen to a podcast on the way to work (about 45 minutes), download podcasts/updates over bluetooth using my phone for internet, listen to about 30 minutes of podcasts, and listen to podcasts on my drive home. There is usually still enough charge to surf the web, watch some youtube videos, before I plug in before bed.

The couple of days I have had power issues, I have listened to mp3s/wma's during the commute, paused the music, and left the n800 in my car for 4-6 hours. When I get back to the car the battery is saying 'less than an hour' useful time. Sometimes it can make the commute back playing music before it gives me the 'battery low' warning', sometimes it doesn't make the whole drive. I think this has happened three or four times.

I haven't been able to find any other correlations that are part of this issue.

Thanks,

Hal