Active Topics

Posts: 426 | Thanked: 374 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Middle East
Put this on Motorola Photon Q 4G and you got hardware keyboard + Ubuntu.

Portfolio: AKstudios : : graphics with attitude.
Flickr: AKstudios
Twitter: @flopjoke

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Some talk about ubuntu phone with product manager.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lOpNajx3xI

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
I've been using ubuntu since 2009 until now.

if ubuntu for smartphones worked on this kind of devices, I probably replace my N900 with one of those kind of devices.

This feels like a dumb question.... but necessary.

From: "http://www.engadget.com/2013/01/07/canonical-narrows-timeframe-for-ubuntu-for-smartphones-February/"

" ...although actually doing something with it might be another story, since there's likely to be very few apps available..."

Am I to understand that Ubuntu Phone won't be able to run Ubuntu applications? That seems really dumb to me... but then I figured Android would leverage linux applications and they never did... sooo.... ?

The Following User Says Thank You to Flynx For This Useful Post:
Posts: 752 | Thanked: 2,808 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by Flynx View Post
This feels like a dumb question.... but necessary.

From: "http://www.engadget.com/2013/01/07/canonical-narrows-timeframe-for-ubuntu-for-smartphones-February/"

" ...although actually doing something with it might be another story, since there's likely to be very few apps available..."

Am I to understand that Ubuntu Phone won't be able to run Ubuntu applications? That seems really dumb to me... but then I figured Android would leverage linux applications and they never did... sooo.... ?
That's Engadget's way of saying you won't have 100 000 farting apps available.

Of course it will run GNU/Linux desktop applications (if you compile them and their dependencies for the CPU architecture - possibly ARM), but honestly, how many of those are optimized for mobile UI.

Last edited by nodevel; 2013-01-09 at 10:35.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nodevel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,269 | Thanked: 3,961 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Brazil
Originally Posted by Flynx View Post
It is the same thing that happened with the transition from Maemo 5 (software UI written in Gtk and QtWidgets) to MeeGo Harmattan (UI written in Qt Quick).

Ubuntu Phone OS native softwares use Qt Quick for the UI (User Interface), so all the Gtk, QtWidgets, etc softwares won't work.
-- My blog about mobile & scientific computing ---
Sailfish : Sony Xperia X, Gemini, Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet, Nexus 4. Nokia N9, N900, N810.

The Following User Says Thank You to rcolistete For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by nodevel View Post
That's Engadget's way of saying you won't have 100 000 farting apps available.
Of course it will run GNU/Linux desktop applications (if you compile them and their dependencies for the CPU architecture - possibly ARM), but honestly, how many of those are optimized for mobile UI.
Not only optimized to mobile UI, but also using Qt / Qt Quick. For example, Maemo 5 Gtk softwares are optimized for mobile use. But they don't work on MeeGo Harmattan, Sailfish OS and Ubuntu Phone OS.

But it is expected to have all CLI (Command-Line Interface) softwares to work on Ubuntu Phone OS.
Sailfish : Sony Xperia X, Gemini, Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet, Nexus 4. Nokia N9, N900, N810.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rcolistete For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by rcolistete View Post

Ubuntu Phone OS native softwares use Qt Quick for the UI (User Interface), so all the Gtk, QtWidgets, etc softwares won't work.
I'm not sure I understand this fully. Would you explain the references to Gtk here:

http://developer.ubuntu.com/get-star...ckly-workflow/

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SD69 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
I'm not sure I understand this fully. Would you explain the references to Gtk here:

As long as it uses X, GTK is just a compile away. Even if they use Wayland, GTK3 should handle that too. But any desktop style GUI would still look like **** though :-)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by SD69 View Post

This tutorial/guide is for Ubuntu desktop programming, which uses Gtk as main GUI framework.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rcolistete For This Useful Post:

Tags
linuxrules2013