Active Topics

Originally Posted by locusf View Post
SailPi tablet concept can adapt to variety of choices, just say the word and I'll try to cook up something cool for RPi 2 with touchscreen. Its also quite DIY'able.

I've tried Nemo, for example, but the touchscreen only worked on pressing for a long time, gotta debug that at some point.
Yes please! Even though you can't call it a tablet (you can, but it would be incorrect), I'd really like to play with SailPi on something like a Tingbot, that "touch screen and button case" for the Pi – http://tingbot.com/.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to velox For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
Should not be needed - it restarts automatically if it crashes and keeps state. Only serious crashes (quite possibly driver related) make it loose the session state, forcing you to re-login.

Also at least right now Gnome Shell is still much more stable than Plasma 5, which still has some severe stability and usability issues. But that should hopefully improve as Plasma 5 matures.
Oh I see

Not really happening on my laptop, tho *evil_grin* (j/k)

LINKer - transform your N9's home view in a Desktop, give it the freedom it deserves! -> LINKer for Harmattan

QuickBar - Can't find the app you used yesterday in your overcrowded Home Screen? Want access to the QuickLaunch bar even in the home screen? QuickBar for Harmattan

If you like our work, and would like to support via PayPal : users.giulietta@gmail.com

Last edited by tortoisedoc; 2015-12-09 at 12:10.

is it first an idea to ask: what is the future of Mer?

who uses Mer other than Sailfish?
there was a time i think when Tizen was based on Mer, is this still the case, and do they contribute?
does it matter that ubuntu has it's own mobile 'platform', and that kde have decided to use ubuntu's?
does Mer have a future (as opposed to a present), without substantial Jolla contribution?

if the outcome of all this is positive (inc Jolla's ongoing contribution as the happiest outcome), then yes, by all means let's discuss some new mobile UI/distro built on the Mer platform...

The Following User Says Thank You to Jedibeeftrix For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by Jedibeeftrix View Post
is it first an idea to ask: what is the future of Mer?
Ah, well this is an entirely different question to the future of Sailfish. Because the Sailfish UI is not open, it is illegal for you to distribute the source code without Jolla's consent. And this illegality survives the end of a company -- whoever ends up holding the intellectual property still has control over the source.

This is not a problem for Mer, which is open. It doesn't really matter if everyone working on Mer leaves the project; you can still pick it up yourself, use it, modify it, or distribute it without being sued. (So long as you follow the terms of the open license.)

Of course, if your only worry is about how many people are actively working on the project, may I ask: what is wrong with iOS or Android? Those OSs have enormous numbers of folks working day and night to maintain and improve them...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Mer still made some bad decisions such as using some outdated core packages because of avoiding GPLv3 (for example bash). I hope they'll address that.

The Following User Says Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by shmerl View Post
Mer still made some bad decisions such as using some outdated core packages because of avoiding GPLv3 (for example bash). I hope they'll address that.
Well, why not address it here? At least in the form of discussion; what is Mer missing right now, in terms of these outdated packages? And why is GPLv3 necessary -- what is so different about it that modern packages can only be licensed using GPLv3, and no other license? Thanks!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 654 | Thanked: 2,368 times | Joined on Jul 2014 @ UK
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Linux is mostly used by geeks and yet it does not even have a good programming IDE, for Pete's sake!
Give me Kate and Konsole, or give me death!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Feathers McGraw For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Feathers McGraw View Post
So, I should ask, how much K infrastructure is required to run Kate and Konsole? How much modification of Mer / Nemo would be required to run them?

The Following User Says Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 654 | Thanked: 2,368 times | Joined on Jul 2014 @ UK
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
So, I should ask, how much K infrastructure is required to run Kate and Konsole? How much modification of Mer / Nemo would be required to run them?
Repo is a bit sluggish, but here's a good place to start investigation:

https://projects.kde.org/projects/kd...CMakeLists.txt

Qt modules:
  • core
  • dbus
  • widgets
  • script
  • sql

Plasma frameworks components required:
  • config
  • crash
  • Il8n
  • JobWidgets
  • KIO
  • Parts
  • TextEditor
  • WindowSystem
  • XmlGui
  • IconThemes

So...quite a lot. How much modification would be required make it touch friendly for a tablet is another matter.

Also, I brought it up more as an argument against IDEs being necessary than because I think you'd want those apps on a tablet.

However, a text editor similar to Kate would be great. One of the nicest things about it is that it's quite simple (doesn't try and close quotations for you like Notepad ++ and some other apps on Windows), and it has great syntax highlighting.

BTW Pichlo, I'm also a novice programmer (C++ and a little bit of Perl). I don't feel comfortable using an IDE until I understand what it's doing/don't need it! I'd rather learn how to do it manually before adding another layer of abstraction. Also, there's enough to learn about the language and Qt without learning how to use the gui for Qt Creator at the same time.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Feathers McGraw For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by Feathers McGraw View Post
I just recently joked about how the best selling tablet to geeks should only come with terminal and a plethora of touch enabled (read: UX properly done, not some of these more recent hack jobs that barely work unless you punch the screen).

Otherwise, it will be ****-talked to death because User X wanted Option Y for... reasons.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post: