Thanks for all your answers, wasn't expecting for answers this quickly.

@meet.vino : I can't say I'm a big fan of Sailfish OS, even if in this case I could buy a tablet with this OS, but I would rather buy something that is actually on shelf and asap, so waiting for them to get the targeted sum and to produce it, is not an option.

@biketool : was thinking about the Nexus 7 as it thicks all the requirements, but I can't seem to find it new on the market (if you know where I can find one please let me know).... don't need telephony, only data over 2/3/4G

The phone she uses right now is a Nokia Asha (can't remember the model) so I think tethering is not an option. And I would rather have something with build in cellular data.

So, what currently available tablets have the specified requirements.

PS : found a Nexus 7 here, but seems kind of expensive for a 4 year old tablet.... don't get me wrong, if I find something that really worth spending that amount (or even more), maybe I'll do it....

The Following User Says Thank You to Malakai For This Useful Post:
Does it really have to be new? I'm sure you can get one second hand in near mint condition for a fraction of the price.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nthn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,417 | Thanked: 2,619 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Touring
So the weakness of the Nexus 7 is the screen cracking. Get a nexus 7 2013 with a cracked screen for cheap and buy the bezel, LCD, and digitizer; then replace those parts and you have a working machine for cheap. then add the protection I listed above. The big downside is that the Nexus 7 like most newer phones and tablets lacks a SD card slot.

The Following User Says Thank You to biketool For This Useful Post:
Posts: 654 | Thanked: 2,368 times | Joined on Jul 2014 @ UK
Originally Posted by biketool View Post
So the weakness of the Nexus 7 is the screen cracking. Get a nexus 7 2013 with a cracked screen for cheap and buy the bezel, LCD, and digitizer; then replace those parts and you have a working machine for cheap. then add the protection I listed above. The big downside is that the Nexus 7 like most newer phones and tablets lacks a SD card slot.
I tried to replace the screen on a N7 (2013). Not as easy as it looks and not that cheap either, I ended up messing it up trying to remove the old screen (it's all glued so you have to use a heat gun and I wasn't careful and melted some plastic).

Decent tablet though, I have the LTE variant and it's currently running LineagoOS. The one I tried to repair was someone else's.

The Following User Says Thank You to Feathers McGraw For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Feathers McGraw View Post
Not as easy as it looks and not that cheap either, I ended up messing it up trying to remove the old screen (it's all glued so you have to use a heat gun and I wasn't careful and melted some plastic).
Agreed, I suggest a new bezel vs heating and scraping, took me 3-4 tries at trying to be cheap recycle stuff before I just got a bezel and a new LCD and digitizer and assembled them. but it is also possible to get an assembled bezel with the digitizer&LCD all together. Just pry apart, disassemble, and plug in the two ribbons. I think it is the price of broken tablet + ~$50US.
If you are trying to recycle the bezel then be careful not to melt the plastic as it will become impossible to properly seat the glass digitizer.
then come s the crack and no more digitizer though the LCD still works and you can use a USB mouse. I found stripping the adhesive proteceion and placing the lcd-digitizer face down and then alligning the bezel/frame over it worked best for me.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to biketool For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
I put Lineage on my wifes Yoga 3 10" and it works great.
Also changing digitizer is quite easy as the frame is easy to disassamble.
Digitzer did cost 25$ and twoo weeks wait from china, including some not working UV Glue that cost me an additional evening to remove the **** again and reglue with pattex 100%

Last edited by mosen; 2017-07-06 at 19:43.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
My girlfriend's birthday is next month an I thought that the tablet could be her present, that's why I would rather get something new (don't think a second hand tablet will have the same effect...).

Plus I am not really a hardware guy, so would be difficult for me to replace anything on a tablet.

It is a shame that none of the currently available tablets is supported by Lineage OS...

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Malakai For This Useful Post:
Posts: 33 | Thanked: 92 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ Germany
I've got a SM-P600 (Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition). Ok, it's rather old but what I like is the pen which is pressure sensitive (Wacom digitizer). That's the reason i bought it (used but great condition). I like how you can use it as pointer and navigate with it through web sites, even those hoverable dropdown menues. The battery life is really good. There's a LTE Version as well.

As I've seen, theres "official" LineageOS available for it. I'm really thinking about giving it a try.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hensch For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Another option would be to connect a usb-stick cellular modem to the tablet
Does the Jolla tablet actually support that option?
Both hardware-wise (USB OTG with enough power) and software?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
What I would really like is to be able to use a normal x11 environment in my Nexus7; or any new tablet or phone I get. That and be able to use regualr bash scripts and commands without figuring out the irritating differences. The difference is sometimes like having to jump into a DOS prompt after 20 years on linux /unix.
Ideally I would like to see a nicely designed Maemo5 type multitouch environment GUI.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to biketool For This Useful Post:

Tags
lineageos, tablet