Active Topics

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by maba View Post
Yes, I wonder why Nokia thinks that a "finger friendly" UI must be "stylus and space unfriendly".
Because, obviously, the iPhone is G*d and has to be copied ad nauseam.

I wonder if Nokia will sink so low as to "equip" the N900 with a capacitive touchscreen. That would really be the icing on the dung-flavoured cake.

The Following User Says Thank You to Karel Jansens For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
"I could write a better GUI blind drunk with half a bottle of Tequila left. "

So, where is it? Have you finished yet?

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
I know I'll be beaten to death here for this, but to be honest, I always thought the user interface on the tablets was really good. (that was before menus and scrollbars became large.)

there's nothing *really* wrong with it, except that in OS2008 its inconsistent and wastes a lot of space.

only a little cleaning would make it close to perfect.

The Following User Says Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
I know I'll be beaten to death here for this, but to be honest, I always thought the user interface on the tablets was really good. (that was before menus and scrollbars became large.)

there's nothing *really* wrong with it, except that in OS2008 its inconsistent and wastes a lot of space.

only a little cleaning would make it close to perfect.
So basically it needs a little more consistency in it's waste of space?

Posts: 259 | Thanked: 72 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Halifax, NS
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
I like it, with the following exceptions:

- Titlebars? These seem a little out of place. I understand a menu target needs to be somewhere but it's pretty hard to forget what app you're working in. Use the space for more status icons!
- Modality inconsistencies. When you have the little status box saying "connected to..." and another that says "launching..." and another saying "updating..." why are they all stacked on top of each other? Shouldn't they be like GTalk or Growl and start at the bottom of the previous one, so you can actually read them? Better yet, why are they modal at all? I find it very weird.
- Non-movable windows. Add the hack to get movable windows and the default stuff all falls apart and originates somewhere off the top left of the visible screen. I'd love to run something like DAs on Maemo apps. A mini-calculator or stopwatch over top of a document.
- Native rotation! I'll betcha this is coming soon.

I like the increased finger-friendliness... it often translates to user-friendliness, because it forces the developers to simplify the presentation more, and think a bit more about UI guidelines. I'm still wondering where the best finger-friendly todo list is...

Other than that, it's not bad. I like it.

Originally Posted by Karel Jansens View Post
... a capacitive touchscreen.
So what exactly is that? (not having seen a JesusPhone)

I've always been impressed with the N800 touchscreen since I went through 5 Palm TX and 3 Palm Vx touchscreens, where they started wanting daily then hourly recalibrations, then finally refused to recalibrate at all.

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by gene.cash View Post
So what exactly is that? (not having seen a JesusPhone)

I've always been impressed with the N800 touchscreen since I went through 5 Palm TX and 3 Palm Vx touchscreens, where they started wanting daily then hourly recalibrations, then finally refused to recalibrate at all.
Wikipedia is your friend:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Touchscreen

As a sidenote: The N8x0's screen can go off too. I've had mine go haywire twice already, fortunately never permanently. Interestingly, my 770's screen has been rock steady.

Why I like resistive touchscreens (the non-iPhone type)? They can be operated with a stylus and appear to be more precise than capacitive screens(this might actually not be the case, but as long as capacitive screens can only be manipulated by big fat digits, who's to tell?).

I do know calibration hell. Right now I have a Siemens SimPad SL4 that's stuck in a calibration loop. It's probably time to kick Wince off the thing and Linux on...

Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Actually, Fremantle is slated to have quite a bit of UI work.

For whatever it's worth, it's probably not worth your time hacking in Matchbox as Nokia is moving to X.org for Fremantle, so who knows what might be happening with the WM.
I hope the revisions to the UI include removing the tap and hold mechanism for simulating right clicking. This is one feature of the current UI that drives me nuts, because it's so inconsistent and I have to try several times to get it too work. Not only that, but frequently the menu shows up where your finger or stylus are obstructing your view of the menu. It'd be great if the menus just popped up when you select the item, and in a place where they won't be obstructed from view.

I also agree with the comment that titlebars are unneccesary. Again, they seem to be a vestigial carryover from desktop UIs. This would free up more space for status bar icons.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by Karel Jansens View Post
the only Pandora we've seen so far was a prototype on a German TV show; it should be with customers mid-november
Whoops! I swear that it was September last month.

Posts: 1,310 | Thanked: 820 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Irving, TX
Originally Posted by qole View Post
Whoops! I swear that it was September last month.
Yes... but more importantly... what YEAR?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mara For This Useful Post:

Tags
stuff nokia should read, user interface, whining