I just read a tweet from stskeeps saying that u-boot is available on the N900. The Beagleboard also uses u-boot and it is able to boot many other OSes (Windows CE, Symbian, etc) besides Linux (like the N900).

So here is the question: Any takers? I'll be happy to test anything that comes out and also help.

http://al.robotfuzz.com/~al/maemo/u-boot/

If I understood correctly, it loads a kernel from the SD. You just flash once and then its u-boot magic. It might also help the NITDroid project.

http://twitter.com/stskeeps/status/24195693319
http://al.robotfuzz.com/~al/maemo/u-boot/

The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to giannoug For This Useful Post:
so it replaces the nokia bootloader ? Can be very risky. I bricked my router once because I messed with bootloader.

[added]nwm

These patches add support for the Nokia RX-51/N900 to U-Boot. Rather than totally
replace NOLO (which could be dangerous) I instead create a combined image containing
u-boot and a Linux kernel, and then flash this like a regular kernel. U-Boot loads
first, stores the environment, and then checks for boot files on the SD card, if
present. If the bootfiles are not found, it will instead load the appended kernel
image. This should in theory be totally transparent.

The Following User Says Thank You to aligatro For This Useful Post:
Posts: 15 | Thanked: 48 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ United Kingdom
This is no more dangerous to install than a custom kernel, because you flash it into the kernel partition of the onenand. This was one of the design goals - to install in a completely non-destructive way.

The other goal was for it to be completely self contained ie not require any files on Maemo rootfs or eMMC or an SD card (in contrast to multiboot.) That is the reason for the combined kernel image. The appended kernel image actually gets loaded into ram by NOLO (it thinks u-boot + kernel is one big image) - and then u-boot unpacks and boots it.

Since it might not be obvious, if you install this, the N900 keyboard does work - you can press any key to interrupt u-boot autoboot, and then do whatever you want in terms of loading kernel, setting command line etc.

Oh, also, nitdroid will need some work before it can be booted with u-boot, because it relies on multiboot scripts to set up some things like loading modules and setting up the filesystem mounts etc. All this stuff could be done by an initramfs though.

Last edited by ali1234; 2010-09-12 at 19:25.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ali1234 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 298 | Thanked: 197 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Norway
Im interested, definitively!
Would be neat to add this to Multiboot.
It would be possible, because as it said, its a kind of kernel, and then it would be logic that it can be loaded by Multiboot.

Booting Symbian? Are you kidding or what?
If thats true, its a dream come true...
Symbian AND Maemo in 1 device would be friggin' nice.

But... uh... where are there some more user-friendly instructions? :P

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by Nokia 5700 View Post
u-boot is hardly the most userfriendly tool around
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Originally Posted by giannoug View Post
I just read a tweet from stskeeps saying that u-boot is available on the N900. The Beagleboard also uses u-boot and it is able to boot many other OSes (Windows CE, Symbian, etc) besides Linux (like the N900).
I doubt u-boot is the only requisite for that.

At least, this will help NITdroid prevent having to flash a kernel every time you switch between Maemo/NITdroid. As it is written directly to a NAND without any wear leveling layer at all the number of kernel changes before the device breaks is rather limited (but still in the tens of thousands). This should help with that.

Originally Posted by Nokia 5700 View Post
Im interested, definitively!
Would be neat to add this to Multiboot.
It would be possible, because as it said, its a kind of kernel, and then it would be logic that it can be loaded by Multiboot.

Booting Symbian? Are you kidding or what?
If thats true, its a dream come true...
Symbian AND Maemo in 1 device would be friggin' nice.

why use multiboot to load this ? This is designed to be flashed once only then it will load the kernel for other OS from sd card , without flashing it , multiboot does flash the kernel each time u choose a different OS .
And surely a bit more detailed instructions would be appreciated .

Posts: 15 | Thanked: 48 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ United Kingdom
Indeed, the whole reason I made this is because I didn't want to use multiboot.

Posts: 549 | Thanked: 502 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Bowling Green Ohio (united states)
Just tested this and it works like a charm
My ports/creations/hacks: GNOME (for Deblet), Cdeb2», Ubuntu, playable flash games in the "Get Started" app, DBS, ect...

enhanced fedora port has been canceled in favor of NITDebian (TBA)

Originally Posted by aligatro View Post
so it replaces the nokia bootloader ?
Nope, it goes in the kernel partition with the actual kernel piggybacking on top of it. NOLO assumes it's a kernel and executers it, then u-boot takes control and loads the bundled kernel by default, or anything else you like.

The Following User Says Thank You to lma For This Useful Post: