Active Topics

Banned | Posts: 388 | Thanked: 57 times | Joined on Mar 2010
Hello,

I have installed Easy Debian following the wiki link. Activated the all-repos except the src lines. Did an apt-get update, and then apt-get install calibre.

After about 200MB of downloading and an about 30 min installation the package was installed. Now when I try to launch, it spits these errors. Any hope that this could be fixed?

Code:
Everything set up, running chroot...
[root@deb-m5v3d: /]calibre
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/calibre", line 18, in <module>
    from calibre.gui2.main import main
  File "/usr/lib/calibre/calibre/gui2/__init__.py", line 18, in <module>
    from calibre.ebooks.metadata.meta import get_metadata, metadata_from_formats
  File "/usr/lib/calibre/calibre/ebooks/metadata/meta.py", line 11, in <module>
    from calibre.customize.ui import get_file_type_metadata, set_file_type_metadata
  File "/usr/lib/calibre/calibre/customize/ui.py", line 12, in <module>
    from calibre.customize.builtins import plugins as builtin_plugins
  File "/usr/lib/calibre/calibre/customize/builtins.py", line 428, in <module>
    from calibre.ebooks.pdf.output import PDFOutput
  File "/usr/lib/calibre/calibre/ebooks/pdf/output.py", line 18, in <module>
    from calibre.ebooks.pdf.writer import PDFWriter, ImagePDFWriter, PDFMetadata
  File "/usr/lib/calibre/calibre/ebooks/pdf/writer.py", line 24, in <module>
    from PyQt4.QtWebKit import QWebView
ImportError: /usr/lib/libphonon.so.4: symbol pa_ext_device_manager_reorder_devices_for_role, version PULSE_0 not defined in file libpulse.so.0 with link time reference
PS: Calibre is an ebook reader.

That is really an incredible app to have. I regret that you can not run it. But reading books on the n900 screen will strain your eyes, the screen is small with high resolution.

I had a thread about this about a month ago. I listened to all the smart folks here, enabled the squeeze repos and installed the latest python after a got some error. anyway it failed. Please if yhou get it working, let us know.

Quick question:

Have you actually tried to run Calibre on, say, a 7 inch netbook? Or anything with 800x480 resolution? It's pretty painful. Now add to that pain, running it from an SD card. It'll be VERY slow. And pretty difficult to actually read/interact with the screen due to the program's desktop nature.

Why not just keep Calibre on the desktop - where its purpose lives, really - and use FBReader on the Nokia? That's what I do with my N800 and it works well.

More power to you for trying to get Calibre to run through Easy Debian, but I really think you'll find it's just not worth it.

R.
==

fbreader has not been updated on the N900 in a long while, too bad. A developer from fbreader gave me this link a while ago...I have the stable but the unstable worked too. Nice thing is in these builds the table of contents works in my oreilly technical books. sadly though the volume rocker would not change pages. but you can of course map keys...

http://scratchpost.dreamhosters.com

The Following User Says Thank You to extendedping For This Useful Post:
isn't calibre mainly an e-book manager. I too would like to get calibre running but only so I can manage my books for transfer to and from my n900 and PRS-600 e-book reader.

Originally Posted by ehab View Post
That is really an incredible app to have. I regret that you can not run it. But reading books on the n900 screen will strain your eyes, the screen is small with high resolution.
I finished one 240 pages book in FBreader. Using 24 pt fonts helped my eyes. I didn't feel much different looking at a real paper so far, however yet to test more. This is my first full-length ebook reading experince. I would like to test how eye friendly are other e-readers (kindle, nook, pandigital etc...) I really wonder if it is really worth to buy a reader just for reading or stick to N900 for everything.

Last edited by gsever; 2010-08-15 at 03:52.

Originally Posted by extendedping View Post
I had a thread about this about a month ago. I listened to all the smart folks here, enabled the squeeze repos and installed the latest python after a got some error. anyway it failed. Please if yhou get it working, let us know.
Would you mind sharing your discussion link?

Thanks.

Originally Posted by rickh View Post
Quick question:

Have you actually tried to run Calibre on, say, a 7 inch netbook? Or anything with 800x480 resolution? It's pretty painful. Now add to that pain, running it from an SD card. It'll be VERY slow. And pretty difficult to actually read/interact with the screen due to the program's desktop nature.
==
Easy Debian runs on emmc and it is fast indeed. I couldn't solve the calibre run issue yet but OO looks little funny under ED. I really have understood what it means to be finger friendly after seeing it.

buried somewhere in the "easy debian fremantle beta testing" thread.