Notices

I set the sword path, and ran "mkfastmod ESV"

It started but aborted with "terminate called after throwing an instance of 'CLuceneError'" I've seen that error before somewhere else. I seem to have clucene-core_0.9.20-1.

dpkg -s rapier shows the status as "install ok half-configured"

Thanks.

Chances are you have the clucene core of the diablo devel repository, and a sword package that has been compiled against another version of clucene.

The last chinook working package was using a sword version compiled against
clucene-core_0.9.16a-2_armel.deb

http://repository.maemo.org/extras/p...6a-2_armel.deb

Things _should_ work if all the needed package (clucene-core,sword,python-sword) are the latest one from the chinook extras devel repository.

Posts: 86 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Berlin, Germany
I have installed it on diablo. And it works well (as it did in chinook).

I really like it shame it does not have protrait mode.

Pamadio:

Following your suggestions, my problem is solved.

For the record, here's what I did: First I uninstalled my version of clucene-core (0.9.20-1), rapier, sword, and python-sword. I also deleted everything on my tablet that had to do with sword or rapier.

Then I downloaded clucene-core (0.9.16a-2) from the maemo extras chinook repository at gronmayer.com and installed from the deb file. From then on things went pretty much as they should. I installed rapier (1.0.4-0) from the application manager, which also added sword (1.5.10-1) and python-sword (1.5.10-1). (I did this from red-pill mode just to be sure the version of clucene-core didn't change, but I don't think this is necessary.)

After installation I still got the message, "Unable to Install," but rapier did indeed install. And rapier remains in the list of updates in the application manager, even though there is no change in version.

I started rapier and used the Preferences menu to change the storage directory to a directory named sword on my sd card. (First I got a permission denied message, so I used chmod a+w sword to make the directory writable by all.) Then I added the modules and made the index from the Manage memu.

Thanks for your work on this Pamadio!

Posts: 861 | Thanked: 734 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Nomadic
Let me preface this with saying that I am not a developer; at least not an application developer. I know what works though, and have been refining my web designer/developer skills over the years towards UI/UX work and understanding what it means to use a device. So please, don't take this as a wish list for Rapier or any other Bible reader as much as it is a proposed direction, and maybe some encouragement for those who are developers to jump into the program with a bit of fervor

That all being said...

Here is a wireframe of something that I thought of today:
http://share.ovi.com/media/ARJWright...RJWright.10234 (updated/clearer image)

And here is a the post on my site that explains things a bit:
https://arjw.mymobilesite.net/.py?ap...action=6&id=92

There's more to this, and depending on how much momentum that I can keep with it, I'll do a second draft and refine it into something a bit more formal so that developers can have a bit more focus towards what's possible when we work together a bit.

Enjoy, and feedback should probably hit here if you want it for Rapier; but general feedback should hit my site.

Last edited by ARJWright; 2008-08-08 at 13:28.

The Following User Says Thank You to ARJWright For This Useful Post:
Hi Antoine.

This is interesting. I think you definitively should get subscribed to the sword devel mailing list and/or hang out on the #sword irc channel (on freenode) . If you do not find developers interested in Bible reader design there, i do not know where you will find some :-)

With maemo, there are 2 graphical toolkit that i know of: gtk (wich is the one currently used with rapier) and SDL (available in python with pygame).

The nice thing with SDL is you can do good looking scrolling effect quite easily (think canola or UKMP). When i looked at your draft, it immediately felt like SDL was the toolkit of choice to implement it.

Now, the bad thing with SDL is that there is no existing widget or library to handle large text buffer display (as far as i know). I would not know how to make a gtk like TextView widget with pygame (without spending a lot of time on it), and this would be a mandatory step for a reader of any kind.

If anybody knows of such a widget already coded for SDL , let me know, it may motivate me to learn how to use pygame :-)

Wow, I like the concept UI. I was working on a few sketches a while back as well but got tied up with stuff. Maybe I'll revisit that.

Pamadio, just wanted to say Rapier's UI as-is is leaps and bounds better looking and easier to set up than the Sword Project for Windows =)

Posts: 861 | Thanked: 734 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Nomadic
Originally Posted by pamadio View Post
Hi Antoine.

This is interesting. I think you definitively should get subscribed to the sword devel mailing list and/or hang out on the #sword irc channel (on freenode) . If you do not find developers interested in Bible reader design there, i do not know where you will find some :-)

With maemo, there are 2 graphical toolkit that i know of: gtk (wich is the one currently used with rapier) and SDL (available in python with pygame).

The nice thing with SDL is you can do good looking scrolling effect quite easily (think canola or UKMP). When i looked at your draft, it immediately felt like SDL was the toolkit of choice to implement it.
I personally don't know too much about the GUI toolkits that you are speaking of, so I'll have to do some homework to make good on that part.

There are a few things happening in this UI that are not explained well in this version of the wireframe/blog posting, so I'll break things out in a later post and link that here as well. Those of you who've played with Mauku will have an idea of where I'm going with things

I'll have to subscribe to that mailing list once my email issues get handled. I definitely want to do much more with the IT in terms of working with developers towards refining the UI and improving the UX of various applications. And who knows, maybe I'll find a few folks that will be able to take this and run with it. It happened with me and WordPy, so anything is possible

I posted this on the other thread before I realized that the discussion had shifted over here. Apologies for cross-post.

Redshift mentioned that he had successfully gotten an NIV to working Rapier. The lack of this version, used in my church and my personal preference, has kept me chained to the Pocket PC.

Redshift, did I read your post correctly, that you found a way to use Laridian bibles in Rapier?

I've been a Laridian customer for years, and own NIV for both the Palm platform and Windows mobile. I installed Rapier on my N800 but have since taken it off due to the lack of the NIV.

I looked at your references but the wiki does not specifically mention the Laridian file format that I could see. Is it actually one of the ones listed by another name?

If it wouldn't be too much trouble, I would be very grateful for some fairly explicit instructions on converting the Laridian modules.

Dear Guys/Gals,

I downloaded the clucene-core_0.9.16a-2 but application manager cannot install it and gives an"incompatible application package-any idea why?"

If I do a apt-get install rapier, another version of clucene core is installed. With this version, I unable to index the modules.

Hope to get assistance on this.

Appreciate any guidance.

Thanks
Best Regards
Lawrence