Active Topics

Notices

Ukki, thank you so much. JA2 is one of my all-time-favorites.

Unfortunately I have one problem:
I cannot access the "AIM" Website, more specifically I can access the main page but the four buttons at the bottom (members/rules/history/links) do not work for me. The only way for me to play is to generate my own soldier (with the xep... code).

I am using german data files; I tried the Windows Straciatella binary and everything worked.

I thought about generating a (windows) savegame and then resume the game on my n800, but the savegame won't be accepted.

Every hint is appreciated. And again: Thank you so much!

P.S.: I have the N800 tablet. The rest of the game works fine.

Last edited by theimann; 2008-02-07 at 15:58.

That's odd, they should work normally. Game is compiled for english language, so maybe it doesn't do anything because you are missing the data files? Can you try with english data files? I can compile a german version too if you want.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ukki For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ukki View Post
Can you post the error message you get when you run it from a console? Try starting it with a command 'jagged'. I suspect there's something wrong with your /home/user/.ja2/ja2.ini or maybe the permissions on /home/user/.ja2 directory are incorrect.
When run NOT as root from the console "ja2" there are no error messages:

~ $ ja2
~ $

Same with jagged, the window pops up for about 2 frames and then it's gone, like I said. It's kind of curious, huh?

The FIRST time I tried to run it, it had an error, I think (can't remember now) that it was something like unable to make ~/.ja2/Data, so I ran as root, fixed that error.

EDIT: Hehe, well I got to thinking that it's likely the problem is because Data and ja2.ini are owned by root. Unforuntely I can't change the owner because "there's not enough space left on device". (there's only 1KB of space left )

Last edited by CyberCat; 2008-02-07 at 17:00.

Originally Posted by CyberCat View Post
When run NOT as root from the console "ja2" there are no error messages:

~ $ ja2
~ $

Same with jagged, the window pops up for about 2 frames and then it's gone, like I said. It's kind of curious, huh?

The FIRST time I tried to run it, it had an error, I think (can't remember now) that it was something like unable to make ~/.ja2/Data, so I ran as root, fixed that error.

EDIT: Hehe, well I got to thinking that it's likely the problem is because Data and ja2.ini are owned by root. Unforuntely I can't change the owner because "there's not enough space left on device". (there's only 1KB of space left )
Perhaps lack of space for some temp files is causing that.

Last edited by spirytsick; 2008-02-07 at 17:19.

Ukki, thanks for you reply. I guess the error is related to the german data files. I used the german straciatella binary for windows, that's probably why the error didn't occur there.

Would it be possible for you to compile a german binary for the IT? Thanks a million - I do not know how to obtain english data files.

If it's too much trouble I won't be worried - fighting Deidranna only with my self-created soldier still is so much fun on the N800

Ok, I manged to free up some space. It's weird, once you get such low space, you can't even UNinstall stuff! That's pretty poor design in my opinion.

Anyway, I changed the owners to user for Data and Da2.set NOW it launches from the shortcut and ja2 under user but it gives the following error:

===> sgp/FileMan.c:456: EraseDirectory() is not implemented
Aborted

Looks like we need more functions!

@theimann
It's no trouble to compile a german binary, I'll do it tonight.

Last edited by ukki; 2008-02-08 at 20:29. Reason: Removed link (in first post now)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ukki For This Useful Post:
Good news! I got it to work under the normal user. I just had to set full access permission to everything in ~/.ja2/* kind of a pain, but it works any way so I'm happy. Looks like a great game too!

How I wonder how long it will be until we get StarCraft on the tablets! Blizzard just released a No-CD update for StarCraft today, good times!

Originally Posted by CyberCat View Post
Good news! I got it to work under the normal user. I just had to set full access permission to everything in ~/.ja2/* kind of a pain, but it works any way so I'm happy. Looks like a great game too!
Did you mess around as root? My install script should create that dir and the ini-file and chown it to user, so there shouldn't be any permission problems unless the game creates them as root user.

The Following User Says Thank You to ukki For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ukki View Post
Just put the game's data-directory to /media/mmc1/ja2data-directory (outer memory card). If you want to use some other path, just issue this command in xterm: echo "data_dir = /path/that/contains/datadir" > /home/user/.ja2/ja2.ini
The only /data folder I found was on the 2nd CD in the /install folder. Is this the one? It's only 312mb and I thought I read that the data is about 1GB.

Or do I have to install the game on my PC to get the /data folder I'm looking for?