Hi. I have been researching lately and I've come to the conclusion that I prefer XMPP over Telegram(my current main IM app). I thought it'd be easy to use XMPP on my Nokia N900, since it's an old service that was even more popular back at its time, but I have a few problems. Number one, Pidgin doesn't let me log in. I've checked everything, even logged in from Pidgin on my PC, and it works there, but not on my N900. It says "SSL Handshake Failed" and I've found no way around that.
Number two, I want XMPP to have OMEMO encryption. I know that 99% sure there won't be any XMPP clients in Maemo supporting this. But just asking, are there any?
And number three, I've tried installing Dino Instant Messenger from X Terminal, using sudo apt install dino-im, but it asks me for a password I have never set. If I write sudo gainroot then sudo apt install dino-im, it says "user is not in the sudoers file. This incident will be reported.". And if I omit the sudo part of the command(that is, if I only type [HTML]apt install dino-im) then it says "-sh: apt: not found". How can I install Dino IM?

So to sum up, three questions: 1. How do I get around the SSL Handshake Failed error in Pidgin? 2. Is there any client in Maemo 5 that allows for OMEMO encryption? and 3. How can I install Dino IM on my Nokia N900(if it is possible)?
Thanks in advance.

The Following User Says Thank You to Aikon For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
Re. 1, probably the server requires TLSv1.x (1.1, 1.2, 1.3) which AFAIK maemo never supported.

Re. 3, use apt-get. apt came later

No idea about 2.

(and sudo gainroot gives you root, so you can't sudo further, and it makes no sense .

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to reinob For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,702 | Thanked: 4,752 times | Joined on Apr 2018 @ Helsinki, Finland.
1. Have you CSSU testing installed and updated? And then maybe pidgin updated with CSSU devel repo enabled.

Or you can try to set up nginx. The instructions for nginx setup is found here somewhere. Can maybe search if I remember.

You should also update certs with cssu devel repo enabled. Atleast those done.

2. Not sure if this helps but if you have not yet gone this through you need to. So good instructions gathered together by a member here. https://dt.iki.fi/nokia-n900-resurrect

3. Just to be sure: Have you installed the package rootsh? With that you get sudo gainroot.

Master of not knowing (active)

For me it is possible to get lost in any case (active)

Learning to fall from high (DONE)

Learning to code with BASIC (WIP)

The Following User Says Thank You to Maemish For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,290 | Thanked: 4,133 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ UK
The default Conversations support XMPP OOTB.
Encryption maybe a whole other issue but it should just work if you setup your Account and add your Contacts.

Maemo was never really designed to use apt they intended for the application manager to install packages. You can end up in broken system dependency hell if you aren't too experienced with Maemo.

Wiki Admin
sixwheeledbeast's wiki
Testing Squad Subscriber
- mcallerx - tenminutecore - FlopSwap - Qnotted - zzztop - Bander - Fight2048 -

Before posting or starting a thread please try this.

The Following User Says Thank You to sixwheeledbeast For This Useful Post:
My suggestion would be to set up your own prosody XMPP server (I did this last week), and set `tls_profile = "legacy"`, this way your N900 should be able to fully connect. I have it working for chats, group chats and calls on Fremantle.

Of course you won't get OMEMO, but hey.

EDIT: To be clear, you can just use the built-in conversations, which uses telepathy-gabble.

The Following User Says Thank You to Wizzup_ For This Useful Post: