I would like to link my /home/user/ directory from being on the 128 mb memory portion to the internal or external memory card. How is the linking process done, as I couldn't come up with appropriate search terms for what I'm trying to do? It would be great to hear from you about this. Thanks in advance.

I am not sure you can just make a link to accomplish this. I am not a linux expert, but based on what you want to do it seems likely you would have to direct your OS to mount the directory you mentioned onto your external media. This would be done by configuring your fstab file I think(DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK).

You could then make a symbolic link that points to the home directory that you mounted on the external media. If you are really interested I do not mind helping you research this further because it would help learn my OS better.

Maybe someone out there has already done this. Or maybe one of the experts can way in on this. Again I say this NOT being an expert.

Also I have a question about this because if your external media was removed, what happens to the mount command??

Good Luck!

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by kd_alex View Post
I am not sure you can just make a link to accomplish this. I am not a linux expert, but based on what you want to do it seems likely you would have to direct your OS to mount the directory you mentioned onto your external media. This would be done by configuring your fstab file I think(DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK).
Yes, from my understanding of what you're saying, you're wanting to mount another volume/partition as your $HOME. This can be done, and I believe there is a comprehensive thread (and maybe wiki article?) on repartitioning, but it's not for the faint of heart (repartitioning things is an inherently risky process, although if you do it properly and know what you're doing, it's usually fine.) Do keep in mind that whatever you mount as $HOME will have to be a Linux filesystem (e.g. not FAT).
You could then make a symbolic link that points to the home directory that you mounted on the external media. If you are really interested I do not mind helping you research this further because it would help learn my OS better.
If you mount a partition from external media properly, then it will be /home/user, so no symlinks necessary.

Also I have a question about this because if your external media was removed, what happens to the mount command??
Good Luck!
Nothing good... What exactly happens will depend on the circumstances, but - just don't do this.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
is it possible to remove the user directory and replace with a symbolic link to the external media. I think this would accomplish the task of having more space artificially.

Jaem, any thoughts?

You should do this carefully, the /media/mmc1 directory is automaticaly unmounted when you take out the back cover, and the /home/user isnt intended to be unmounted, several applications may fail by design

Posts: 1,091 | Thanked: 323 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ ~

I guess you would get a kernel panic after a while. And sometimes the memory card is unmounted by simply folding out the support(there have been reports about this).

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Can you clarify what device this is anyway - it's not clear. You mention the 128mb memory portion, but I don't think any of the Maemo devices have had that (770 had 64mb, the N800 and N810 both had 256mb, as has the N900).