Notices

I have installed AGPS and Maemo Mapper on my N810. While putting my N810 next to the window, I tried to use the internal GPS, but could not get any response ever before the program pops up an error message. Is the internal GPS still available for me to set up GPS? Thanks.

Neither of those programs know how to start the gps daemon. What I did was install minigpsd which will give you a status bar menu that you can use to start/stop the gps daemon.

Posts: 397 | Thanked: 99 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Toronto, Ontario
Anytime I run Maemo Mapper the N810 begins searching for the satellites. From what you said I'm assuming you've gone into the menu option on Maemo Mapper and have Enable GPS checked? If you go to GPS Location Settings is Enable GPS checked and GPS Device is set to Internal GPS.

These would be my first guesses if you haven't already done so. On my device I never had a problem with it not starting the GPS. Only problem was getting a lock right away, which was partly solved with AGPS.

After installing minigpsd and opening Maemo Mapper, it is doing "Establishing GPS fix". Does it mean it's working? Also, how long should the initial setup process take?

Posts: 130 | Thanked: 74 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Canada
Originally Posted by stanigator View Post
While putting my N810 next to the window, I tried to use the internal GPS, but could not get any response ever before the program pops up an error message. Is the internal GPS still available for me to set up GPS?
If I recall correctly you have to set Maremo Mapper to use the bluetooth (First option: set the bluetooth radio button, but leave the text field blank) and NOT select the internal GPS option (3rd option).

You can tell if you have a GPS fix by looking at the status bar icon (you may need to add the status bar: settings/panels/status bar and enable minigpds). If the icon is white, gpsd is not running and you'll never get a fix (click the icon and select 'Start GPSD'). If it is red, gpsd is running but hasn't locked on yet. If it is green, you're good to go and enabling gps in maemo mapper should work fine.

Posts: 397 | Thanked: 99 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Toronto, Ontario
Originally Posted by stanigator View Post
After installing minigpsd and opening Maemo Mapper, it is doing "Establishing GPS fix". Does it mean it's working? Also, how long should the initial setup process take?
Yes, when it says "Establishing GPS fix" the tablet has started the GPS receiver and is looking for the satellites. Before you run that, make sure that your position in AGPS is set, and the cache data is valid. If that is done, start Maemo Mapper and in the menu (under GPS I think) turn on "Show Information". If AGPS is working correctly, it should say you can see 0 of 12 Satellites. These numbers may differ, but if you have a clear view of the sky, the first number should start going up. You will also see a bar graph with black lines. When these turn to blue, you have a fix.

EDIT
You should only ever have to open AGPS once (unless your default position has really moved) AGPS should automatically update the GPS cache when connected to the internet. As for getting a fix, I can sometimes get a fix in less than a minute with good AGPS data. Make sure that that tablet has a good view of the sky (towards the equator works best). The GPS receiver is in the same corner as the N810 LED I believe, so I always make sure that end is at the open end of the case. (if I have the tablet in the case)

Last edited by Nelson L. Squeeko; 2009-06-22 at 12:22.