Posts: 562 | Thanked: 1,732 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ NYC
Originally Posted by DDark View Post
You took it to the wrong point.

The topic is about upcoming qwerty-keyboard phone and there's no way that it could be released without Android.
Lots of point currently going on

And yes Android was needed to get to a finished product. No argument there from me. For the record I don't hate any of these service/products, but do question motivation and actually long term benefits of them.

x

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to xman For This Useful Post:
Posts: 103 | Thanked: 493 times | Joined on Mar 2012 @ France
Originally Posted by xman View Post
And yes Android was needed to get to a finished product. No argument there from me.
I don't remember anyone here saying that the Pro1 "shouldn't be released with Android"...
No need to feed the troll, mate.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to British For This Useful Post:
Posts: 562 | Thanked: 1,732 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ NYC
Agreed. Just enjoying the conversations . Hard for people to really troll me ... well in a negative way .. lol

x

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to xman For This Useful Post:
I would not say much,
but the Fxtec Pro is the only realistic hope for
escaping the Android prison.

and it is very obvious that

without Android it has no market chance.

Supporting Chen to get his product out there,
in hopes it will lead to something better
may be the only hope.

As I write this I am dealing with deadly security issues
specific to Android involving international hate crimes.

Android is putting children at risk, globally,
being in bed with people who prey on those who cannot fight back.

My Mods for Wonko's Advanced Clock Plugin:
ISO8601 clock mod and Momental_IST clock mod

Printing your Email with the N900

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to theonelaw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
So after hearing that did you

a. Walked out
b. took the job
c. Immediately started using foss search (probably did exist back then)
d. other (fill in the blank)
a) and c)

(OK, maybe not FOSS but non-Google. I do not see the world in black and white. One extreme or another.)

Guess what? I once had a job interview at Google itself too. It was still at the time when I was naive and my view of Google was, as endso puts it so eloquently, myopic. I did not get the job and now I could not be happier. Leaving a comfortable position would be much harder than never taking it in the first place.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
So after hearing that did you

a. Walked out
b. took the job
c. Immediately started using foss search (probably did exist back then)
d. other (fill in the blank)

x
Good question :-)

I do use DuckDuckGo on my laptop. I should manually change MicroB search engine to DuckDuckGo, but I don't expect there is GUI for that - one has to visit about:config, and then to figure out the way to change icon with X-Term. Packaging a search engine would be tricky because of post-rm algorithms, to return to 'what was here before'. A GUI for easy switch between search engines would be beneficial.

Regarding all the Android hate - and yes, it is hatred, even if somebody says that it's not simply because they haven't used this word in their diatribes against Android and Google and cookies - I do dislike Android. Because: 1) monopolist, to the point that perfectly good call-and-ask-a-human or SMS-and-get-computer's-auto-reply services are phased out in favour of "Install an Android/iOS app or use our website" - where website isn't usable on my Maemo 5; 2) version-fractured, to the point where old hardware doesn't get new OS version, old OS version doesn't get new versions of apps, and old versions of apps aren't archived on the Internet; 3) full of awful, proprietary apps with almost no quality control - ads, malware, spyware, pay-ware abound.

And yes, I tend to write lengthy rants. Because it's time-consuming to condense thoughts into laconic phrases?

It's not absolutely necessary for a phone to support Android to get released. Jolla Phone somehow managed to get manufactured with Sailfish as default. But running Android by default definitely helps a phone to take off. Because people watch a video about this phone and think "Oh, I know Android, I am amazed how much faster it is to use with hardware keyboard! Gimme that!" instead of "Buying hardware just for the sake of running another OS with strange GUI is boring, let them bring OS to my phone free of charge, then maybe I will try it out - no money goes to them".

I wonder how people would react to 'aOS' operating system running on 'aPhone'. Would Apple be able to sue the 'Ipple' start-up?..

Thank you. Best wishes.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Per aspera ad astra...

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Wikiwide For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
On Topic: 3 latest engineering devices has been dispatched yesterday and all on their ways to the devs for SFOS.

Off topic:
Always enjoying reading pichlo's stories. A joy on TMO really...

Getting "independent" personally is way harder than before. Was in a new spot today with a SFOS device and realised without Google Maps POI it was very hard to look for nearby lunch places. I don't like the feeling of my life completely depending on a particular service. So I went to the nearest Cafe. (And I decide not to put MicroG even, it's against the purpose of the OS)

Guess if one is deep into those so called "eco-system", or whoever only experienced modern monopoly services, will be impossible (or too lazy) to leave...

The Following 22 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Originally Posted by chenliangchen View Post
On Topic: 3 latest engineering devices has been dispatched yesterday and all on their ways to the devs for SFOS.

Off topic:
Always enjoying reading pichlo's stories. A joy on TMO really...

Getting "independent" personally is way harder than before. Was in a new spot today with a SFOS device and realised without Google Maps POI it was very hard to look for nearby lunch places. I don't like the feeling of my life completely depending on a particular service. So I went to the nearest Cafe. (And I decide not to put MicroG even, it's against the purpose of the OS)

Guess if one is deep into those so called "eco-system", or whoever only experienced modern monopoly services, will be impossible (or too lazy) to leave...
Thanks for all your efforts.

My 2 cents:

For most folks that are concerned about avoiding ads, having security and privacy, there are probably lots of Android apps that have various levels of encryption or filtering. For example, I use a hacked version of Youtube that shows no ads. Purism/Librem 5 is stongly emphasizing these features. Surprised that not more folks are on that bandwagon. On the otherhand, I also worry that, in legitimate cases, having access to a phones data can be important, for example, in criminal investigations. Where do you draw the line between privacy and saftey of public?

Last edited by mscion; 2019-05-17 at 20:53.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,139 | Thanked: 8,156 times | Joined on Feb 2013 @ From my Gabriola Island hermitage, near the Edge of the World
exactly theonelaw..

It is a case of keeping the tech out of the hands of those who cannot control it.

Just as so many inventors had hopes that their discoveries would mean everyone would live better lives ...most cannot or do not wish to see what potential for harm it would do.
Inventors, scientists ...are not professors in ethics.
(Other than the obvious bio and genetic and robotic and A.I. ethics professionals ...)

Otherwise new inventions don't get a serious screening and allowed or not allowed to be integrated into the fabric of society by professionals in ethics.

Inherently the tools we make are not evil ...it is the power hungry, the greedy, the despotic, the ignorant and the evil people who turn the purpose of the tools, and make use of the tools for evil ends.

Owner of :
1-n770 (in retirement), 3-n800's / 3-n810's (still in daily use), 5-n900's ((3 are flawless, 1 loose usb ( parts), 1 has no telephony (parts))
3-nexus 5's : 1 w/ Floko Pie 9.1 (running beautifully) waiting for Stable Droid 10 rom, 1 w/ ̶Ubuntu Touch, 1 with Maru OS (intend maemo leste when ready)

1/2 - neo900 pre- "purchased" in 2013. N̶o̶w̶ ̶A̶w̶a̶i̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶r̶e̶f̶u̶n̶d̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶c̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶l̶a̶s̶t̶ ̶f̶e̶w̶ ̶y̶e̶a̶r̶s̶ - neo900 start up declared officially dead -
Lost invested funds.

PIMP MY N8X0 (Idiot's Guide and a video walkthrough)http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94294
THE LOST GRONMAYER CATALOGShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ight=gronmayer
N8X0 VIDEO ENCODING THE EASY WAYhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ght=mediacoder
242gb ON N800http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=90634
THE PAIN-FREE MAEMO DEVELOPMENT LIVE DISTRO-ISO FOR THE NOOB TO THE PROhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=95567
AFFORDABLE MASS PRODUCTION FOR MAEMO PARTShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=93325

Meateo balloons now available @ Dave999's Meateo Emporium

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to endsormeans For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
Originally Posted by mscion View Post
Thanks for all your efforts.

My 2 cents:

For most folks that are concerned about avoiding ads, having security and privacy, there are probably lots of Android apps that have various levels of encryption or filtering. For example, I use a hacked version of Youtube that shows no ads. Purism/Librem 5 is stongly emphasizing these features. Surprised that more folks are not on that bandwagon. On the otherhand, I also worry that, in legitimate cases, having access to a phones data can be important, for example, in criminal investigations. Where do you draw the line between privacy and saftey of public?
I think that depends on how abusive the "watchdog" is...

For me personally I am not against a certain level of surveillance cameras, nor a certain use of location services by operators to know roughly where you are. But I absolutely hated things like browser is showing what my wife is searching for in Amazon; the exact shops/buildings I have been; the similar topics that I have been reading. (And I think this is the worst and creating the generation might being generally dumber...)

The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:

Tags
a good rabbit, fxtec, hwkbd, keyboard, livermorium, n950 revival, never gives up, qwerty, readyfx, silly rabbit