Notices

This app looks like it would be real fun to play with on our tablets :

http://www.goghproject.com/index.html

Moreover, it is really tiny and should be really easy for us to try out, as it is done in 100% Python with PyGtk... right ?

Wrong - the app dies with a "Module not found" error when trying to "import gnome.ui".

The page does say that Gogh depends on "gnome-python", amongst other things. There is a "python2.5-gnome" installed by default on my N800 with the python runtime.

In the python shell I can "import gnome", but "import gnome.ui" fails.

Am I missing some other package, or is there some real "porting" to do with the python code ?..

Okay, it turns out gnome.ui is not a big deal, there are only two lines to comment out in goghmain.py : "import gnome.ui" and the one starting with "gnome.init(".

After that the app starts, but nothing much happens because another dependency is not met : PyGTK is not compiled with Numeric support in the Maemo package, as required by Gogh.

Too bad...

Posts: 330 | Thanked: 57 times | Joined on May 2007 @ BKNYC
i got it to build.
the app starts in SB
but nothing much happens after that.
it freeze when i try to draw something.
will be trying it out on the device.

gnome.ui is needed i think.
missing lots of icons.
but not sure

Posts: 330 | Thanked: 57 times | Joined on May 2007 @ BKNYC
well got it running on the n800....
strokes do not show at all... not sure why, but i am getting an error from the terminal about pygtk not being compiled with numeric python support.
but with removing the import gnome.ui and pygtk not being compiled with numeric support, can't really tell why the brush strokes are not showing..

here's what i'm getting from term. When trying to draw.
numbers not included.

troke
self.put_dab_on_layer(dab_rect)
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/brushstroke.py", line 153, in put_dab_on_layer
dab_pixbuf = dab_rect.get_trimmed_pixbuf(self.color, self.goghdoc.width, self.goghdoc.height)
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/brushstroke.py", line 78, in get_trimmed_pixbuf
pixbuf.get_pixels_array()[:,:,3] = (255*self.alphas[trimmed_rect.y:trimmed_rect.y+trimmed_rect.height, trimmed_rect.x:trimmed_rect.x+trimmed_rect.width]).astype(UInt8)
RuntimeError: pygtk was not compiled with Numeric Python support
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/goghmain.py", line 97, in on_eventbox_motion_notify_event
self.brush_stroke.draw_to(x, y, get_pressure(data))
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/brushstroke.py", line 109, in draw_to
self.apply_brush_stroke(self.last_x, self.last_y, x, y, intermediate_coords, pressure)
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/brushstroke.py", line 149, in apply_brush_stroke
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/brushstroke.py", line 153, in put_dab_on_layer
dab_pixbuf = dab_rect.get_trimmed_pixbuf(self.color, self.goghdoc.width, self.goghdoc.height)
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/brushstroke.py", line 78, in get_trimmed_pixbuf
pixbuf.get_pixels_array()[:,:,3] = (255*self.alphas[trimmed_rect.y:trimmed_rect.y+trimmed_rect.height, trimmed_rect.x:trimmed_rect.x+trimmed_rect.width]).astype(UInt8)
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/goghmain.py", line 130, in on_eventbox_button_release_event
self.brush_stroke.draw_to(x, y, 0)
self.apply_brush_stroke(self.last_x, self.last_y, x, y, intermediate_coords, pressure)
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/brushstroke.py", line 149, in apply_brush_stroke
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/goghmain.py", line 97, in on_eventbox_motion_notify_event
self.brush_stroke.draw_to(x, y, get_pressure(data))

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
I guess Gogh is using PyGTK numeric support to calculate the strokes and that's what is causing the strokes to not show.