Notices

I have some exciting news! I'm pleased to announce that, after a long time in a semi-closed beta, AbiWord Internet Tablet Edition is now available in an open beta, through the Maemo Extras-Devel repository for Chinook and Diablo. I've tried it on Chinook on my N810 and it seems reasonably well functioning, haven't tried it on an N800 or tested those bugs in the list yet.

There are known issues - these are the same as with the earlier semi-closed beta because nobody has contributed fixes for them yet, and I have not had the time to work on them. They are upstream issues - please visit abisource.com and get involved upstream and help us tackle them!

Please read through all the notes here before installing!

Notes:
This does _not_ require debian or any of those other workarounds/pseudo-hacks.
This is hildonized and looks darn nice.
This is an official build, and beta quality - I am an AbiWord developer.
This is not perfect - please file bugs at http://bugzilla.abisource.com/
KNOWN MAJOR ISSUES: Blocking final release on 2007 Blocking final release on 2008 - There is no need to file bugs on these lists again.
This is not for bora (2007) yet - there's no autobuilder for Bora which means I need to have a nice little struggle with Scratchbox to build those
This does not include ODF or OOXML support yet - I will add this soon - it is just a packaging concern. I might end up replacing the current packaging with the new snazzy packaging I've been working with joshk on for Ubuntu and Debian. There is no need to file a bug about this.
This is a build of 2.6.3, the latest stable version and official tarballs. The hildonization is in the upstream source as it has been for a long time (look at ./configure ), and the packaging is on the maemo garage project SVN - I need to commit one set of changes that made it work in the autobuilder, but it works in Scratchbox on its own with no modification.
Generally speaking (cross platform), AbiWord 2.6.4 will be out soon with lots of improvements, and I'll upload new versions then that you can update using the Application Manager.
You do not need red pill mode or anything weird, just extras-devel for your distro.

Installation Instructions:
You need to add the extras-devel repository to your application manager and refresh the catalog, and it will appear. (Should be the top one in the list or close to it ) Be careful updating from this catalog things that aren't AbiWord, since they might be development or buggy versions.

If you were one of my beta testers, you might need to uninstall the packages I provided you at that time before installing this.

I'm looking forward to your bug reports, and even more to your help fixing those bugs! Please post only things directly related to this official build of AbiWord in this thread. All older versions are obsolete (except 2.4.6 on OS2006) and really, really old.

Obligatory screenshots:

AbiWord on Maemo beta now available - contact me to help fix bugs!

Last edited by megabyte405; 2008-07-12 at 22:37.

The Following 43 Users Say Thank You to megabyte405 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 833 | Thanked: 124 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Based in the USA
Thanks for the progress.
I updated my catalogs.
I'm still running 1.2007.42-18, was waiting to reflash to Diablo
I tried to install. I get a message - unable to install due to 3 packages:
libhildonfm2
hildon-update-category-database
libhildonmime0
what's the easiest non flash method?
PLEASE use the Wiki

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by gemniii42 View Post
I'm still running 1.2007.42-18, was waiting to reflash to Diablo
Egads that's old. O_o

Originally Posted by gemniii42 View Post
what's the easiest non flash method?
Save yourself pain and suffering and just flash. Diablo is a lot better than the first public release of OS2008.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Tapping in the editable text area does not open the stylus keyboard on an N800.

In order to use this AbiWord on the N800 with the stylus keyboard, you must open the stylus keyboard (in an app that lets you do it) and choose the button with the page in the lower left corner of the keyboard. Choose Tools -> Settings, then uncheck "Launch finger keyboard with [square]".

Then, in AbiWord, you hit the middle of the D-Pad to pop up the stylus keyboard, and it seemed to work fine for the one sentence I typed.

I used the finger keyboard for a few lines. Every time I hit Enter, the keyboard closes. I typed a few lines, and the third time I hit Enter, AbiWord crashed (just disappeared).

EDIT: Loaded a complex doc (the one with the picture that I used for testing Debian AbiWord in the other thread), opened the stylus keyboard with the button, but AbiWord froze solid when I tried to type something.

Last edited by qole; 2008-07-13 at 00:49.

I am running on my N800 with Apple BT keyboard. This is awesome. Thank you Ryan. I will let you know via this posting anything that doesn't work. I did try the print preview, just to see, but it didn't do anything. That's ok, don't know how to print from the N800 anyway.

Way to go, Ryan.

Just to let you know that abiword is not installable on diablo unless you enable chinook extras repository

The Following User Says Thank You to mikkov For This Useful Post:
mikkov: what package does it want? I'll put it in diablo too.
qole: the stylus keyboard thing is known - look at http://bugzilla.abisource.com/buglis...atus=REOPENED& for all open bugs about the maemo port.
AbiWord on Maemo beta now available - contact me to help fix bugs!

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by megabyte405 View Post
qole: the stylus keyboard thing is known - look at http://bugzilla.abisource.com/buglis...atus=REOPENED& for all open bugs about the maemo port.
Yes, I know. I read this:

I... haven't tried it on an N800 or tested those bugs in the list yet...
...so I tried it and tested those bugs. They're still 'show-stoppers' for us N800 folks...

mikkov: what package does it want? I'll put it in diablo too.
The same happened here. The missing package was "defoma". Enabling Chinook extras fixes it as mikkov mentioned.

The package I have is 19.8MB installed and a hefty 7.5MB download. I am assuming that is the right package since it was in Extras-Devel, even though your screenshot shows 3.7MB.
Nokia n810 Diablo
(After many years of Palm and Windows PDAs)
"So Shut Up, Live, Travel, Adventure, Bless, And Don't Be Sorry." - Jack Kerouac

Tags
abiword, office