Posts: 915 | Thanked: 3,209 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
I don't buy it. The word "planned" implies an intention. You know, planning. As in, "we will keep it updated for exactly 2 years and 7 months, then stop".

If you want to accuse Nokia of planning the N900's obsolescence then you must prove the intention. For all we know, they may have planned to support it for decades to come, but unforeseen circumstances prevented them from doing so. In such a scenario, proprietary components make no difference.
For all I know, Nokia is (and has been back then) a profit-oriented business company. As such they have a natural interest in their products to last at least the warranty period to keep their support costs low. After that they have an interest in selling new replacement products to the same customers. That's just how the market works.
There are different ways to achieve that and I will not speculate on which ones Nokia had in mind.

All I know is that they intentionally used software in their products that the user can't change and of which Nokia knew it would fail some day because the IT around them would change. That assessment is trivial, because anything else would mean to assume, that Nokia didn't know what they were doing, which I don't find realistic.

As a consequence it is logical to say the N900 is subject to planned obsolescence, because the (software-induced) obsolenscence is quite obvious and the planning is in the intentional design using proprietary blobs that does not allow end users to replace the OS while keeping all the functionality.

Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Or, to flip it around, everything under the sun must have a "planned obsolescence" in your world because the maker will stop supporting it at some point.
If the original maker releases all his work that is relevant for a specific project under a FLOSS license then anyone can pick it up and advance it. In this case it doesn't matter if the maker had any plans at all, let alone what they were.
I assume that anyone who is capable of making something is also capable of seeing that connection. So in my world anything that gets released without a FLOSS license is always subject to planned obsolescence, either by ignorance, incompetence or malice.

If you want to call that ideology, then I'm fine with it. I call it fairness.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,236 | Thanked: 1,278 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Balochistan
My N900 is charged and fully working. But it seems there is a problem with camera cover. Camera opens on its own even when Camera cover is closed. Any way to disable camera opening when lens cover is opened ??

The Following User Says Thank You to panjgoori For This Useful Post:
I need to chime in on the original topic ;-)

I love seeing the mighty n900 week every year! My trusted n900 is in daily heavy use from my children listening to audio books and music. It's proven to be really sturdy because all mechanical parts still work (including USB) and we're talking small children here :-)

I recently used it as a replacement daily device and was happy to have Nextcloud sync via syncevolution. Though it was a pain to set up, once it worked, it worked: calendar, contacts, tasks. Email still works fine and telephony is OK for my needs. OMP is great and automagically connects to my kodi media server, XMPP, Twitter and RSS feeds are no problem. Add modrana for times I get lost and Maemo still kicks ***!

Opera still is the best of the antiquated browsers, a more recent one is the only thing I dearly miss.

Even after all this time a lot of the design decisions and user interaction are simply beautiful and functional. This could have gone so far ...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to borghal For This Useful Post:
Posts: 100 | Thanked: 307 times | Joined on Jan 2015 @ Argentina
Today I checked 5 searches sites. How fast is search a Text or Image, with maemo browser. I liked startpage detected the maemo
browser and it is fast to search text, but impossible for images.

The Text/Image to search was: flickr

Yandex.com T: Yes I:NO
https://yandex.com/images/touch/#!/i...&source=tabbar

Google T:YES I:Yes
http://www.google.com.py/search?q=fl...=lnms&tbm=isch

Yahoo.com. T: YES slow I: YES slow
https://espanol.images.search.yahoo....-web#index=srp

Duckduckgo T: YES I: YES
https://duckduckgo.com/html/

Startpage T: Yes I:NO
https://www.startpage.com/do/search

I made this post entirelly with my n900 (uploaded screenshot to imgim and the notes was usefull to collect all the text and links together)

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to maegon9y00 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 158 | Thanked: 340 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ middle of nowhere
Well day 2 is almost over.
Its good to see people returning to n900, even for a week.
I didn't had enough time today to try to solve youtube and whatsapp, it would be good if those who use these and have them worhing on n900 would post here the solutions

The Following User Says Thank You to ryu1 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 391 | Thanked: 908 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ suncity
Originally Posted by ryu1 View Post
it would be good if those who use these and have them worhing on n900 would post here the solutions
hmm... please see this post...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to justmemory For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by justmemory View Post
hmm... please see this post...
I tried to install those, but I get "incompatible application package"

The Following User Says Thank You to ryu1 For This Useful Post:
I tried to install those, but I get "incompatible application package"
Did you try with application manager or from terminal?

If the first, then please try it from terminal. You will need rootsh package, then in terminal type:

Code:
sudo gainroot
cd /to/the/directory/you/saved/the/debs/
dpkg -i qyoutube_0.1.9_armel.deb libsoup2.4-1_2.30.2-1+squeeze1+0m5_armel.deb

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to justmemory For This Useful Post:
this is what I get when trying to install libsoup:

Code:
home/user/MyDocs # dpkg -i libsoup2.4-1_2.30.2-1+squeeze1+0m5_armel.deb
(Reading database ... 70585 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace libsoup2.4-1 2.26.3-0maemo3+0m5 (using libsoup2.4-1_2.30.2-1+squeeze1+0m5_armel.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement libsoup2.4-1 ...
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of libsoup2.4-1:
 libsoup2.4-1 depends on libgpg-error0 (>= 1.10-3.1); however:
  Version of libgpg-error0 on system is 1.8~svn234-maemo2.
dpkg: error processing libsoup2.4-1 (--install):
 dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
Errors were encountered while processing:
 libsoup2.4-1

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ryu1 For This Useful Post:
this is what I get when trying to install libsoup:

Code:
home/user/MyDocs # dpkg -i libsoup2.4-1_2.30.2-1+squeeze1+0m5_armel.deb
(Reading database ... 70585 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace libsoup2.4-1 2.26.3-0maemo3+0m5 (using libsoup2.4-1_2.30.2-1+squeeze1+0m5_armel.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement libsoup2.4-1 ...
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of libsoup2.4-1:
 libsoup2.4-1 depends on libgpg-error0 (>= 1.10-3.1); however:
  Version of libgpg-error0 on system is 1.8~svn234-maemo2.
dpkg: error processing libsoup2.4-1 (--install):
 dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
Errors were encountered while processing:
 libsoup2.4-1
There is the needed version of libgpg-error0 in extras-devel and extras-testing so you can install it from there or simply enable those repos just for this installation (be aware of the risks enabling those repos and installing packages from there).

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to justmemory For This Useful Post: