Active Topics

Notices

I have no idea what has happened. My N800 (OS2008) Application Manager has gone stupid. I tried to display the list of available applications and it failed. Then I looked at the Application Catalogs screen, and it was empty! I tried adding a repository by hand, and when I clicked the OK button it disappeared.
Then I looked at the list of INSTALLED applications, and it too was empty!
I'm guessing that I need to re-install Application Manager, but I don't know enough about how to do it.
I tried various apt-get commands (as root) and got error messages that it could not lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock because of no space left on device.

So, how can I get out of this mess? I can't use Application Manager or apt-get to remove any applications. My documents and so on are already on SD cards. I'm very uneasy about just arbitrarily deleting files.

Help, Please

Walt

The Following User Says Thank You to walts For This Useful Post:
Posts: 40 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Mar 2009 @ Berkshire
I think I hit this once. Is there any other space you can free up? Then try rebooting.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AndyM For This Useful Post:
Thanks, Andy.
I was frustrated last night because I couldn't figure out what I could safely delete.
With a calm head this morning, I found about 50 MB of stuff (N800 manuals in every language I could imagine! Sample photos. Nokia video ads!) that I had never paid attention to in the past. All seems to be well again.
I have long ago moved all the ~/ files to a card. I will see what I can learn about moving applications there too.

Walt

Use a FTP program to move any larger file to your's desktop PC in order to free space in your n8x0 device.