Notices

You do need a working wifi link. If using an access point that does network address translation or something else, it may not be letting UDP through. I would try TCP and if that works and UDP doesn't you may need to adjust the access point.

I assume the GPS was locked properly and that ENABLE was checked at the top of the gpsgate panel.

If you can do something with a network monitor (sometimes access points can show active ports), maybe you can see it.

try and use TCP and see if that helps .. it is working in 0.31e I just tested it and it is working fine . I also use my cell phone number .

The GPS was locked (green circle, dots for satellites),
Wifi connection was working (loaded gmail and archived some messages)
Port 30175 was forwarded in both TPC and UDP to my N810,

I had added the N810 as a device with IMEI of my phone number to gpsgate, to make that clear.

Thank you for the help, I'm excited about getting this app working!

On the gpsgate configure:

enable is checked
proto is either (try TCP first)
host is "online.gpsgate.com" without the quotes, no spaces
port is 30175
IMEI is the identical number you have at gpsgate (again, no spaces)
Rate can be any number of seconds, I have 5.

do not forward ports on your router is is not needed as it is only outbound . And with some routers after you forward ports it turns loopback off on the ports . clear any setings for gpsgate port you have set in your router .

also on gps gate setup a new device and use like your home number with area code that will give you 10 numbers thats the way mine is setup with no spaces

by the way i am also sitting in the car right now theathed to my cell phone and gpsgate is working 100% . with thing is it takes a few min to start updating even after you have gps lock . also after you login to gpsgate you have to click on your user to start tracking it.
computerfreek

Last edited by computerfreek; 2009-01-05 at 18:16.

Here is an update
There seems there still maybe a bug in minigpsd with gpsgate

After geting home and on my wifi or cell phone I can no longer update to gpsgate it was working just a few hours ago .So it looks like swiching from wifi to wifi or to via cell phone gpsgate stops working after a reboot it starts to work fine till i switch access points . Stoping and restarting minigpsd will not fix it. Only a reboot seems to help . even after a reboot it seems hit or miss . I did Check and it seems that GPSgate is working from the URL way "http://online.gpsgate.com/gpsgate.aspx?longitude=34.2333&latitude=23.2222&al titude=34.0&speed=30.3&ate=20070529&time=123445.23 4&imei=00000000000"

replace imei=00000000000 with your number you setup for your device

So I do not think this is an error on GPSgates side .

Hope this helps pin it down

Computerfreek

I'm testing it now but it seems to be working properly.

Do "netstat -un" on in an xterm to see if it is connecting - you should see a port with 30175.

One thing which can break things is if you mistype the IMEI (even one character off - I had an 8 instead of a B and it wouldn't update). The string at the gpsgate.com site must be exactly the same as in the config panel - I would suggest using only numbers for a test.

I'll keep trying to make it fail the same way. My only problems have so far been the wifi while bluetooth interference.

If the wifi or other link disconnects, it may take a minute or two before it starts to send updates after a successful reconnect since it has to detect the break and then retry which it doesn't do that frequently. If you see the port number on the netstat -u command it has connected successfully.

One possible problem is a connect problem where it misses the password (IMEI) but the connection doesn't break so it isn't logged in but is sending location updates. I don't think with UDP it sends any acknowledgement of a login.

Working now .. !!

I did
netsat -u it was sending on port 30176 ! not 30175 but in the config setings box I checked it and it was 30175 . So I clean installed and it seems to be fine . Funny thing is that it was working up in till I got back home . I know when I was trying to help the other user.I was in the car playing around maybe at some point i changed the port .. but yet it was 30175 and sending on 30176 . But all seems good now . I disconnected and reconnected over and over via cellphone and wifi link and after a minute or so it reconnected ..

Tz1 maybe you can add a botton in the config setings to restore it to default settings just in case a user changes something and forget what it was .

Great work
Thanks
Computerfreek

I will double-check, since sometimes after refactoring too much the names change one place but not another. I'll add some kind of defaulting (probably in the next UI revision).

I've read this:
maemo mapper works very well with minigpsd .. In maemo mapper point yout gps under setings to 127.0.0.1 2947 that will connect to minigpsd on port 2947 raw output .. Have mini gpsd loaded 1st .
Well, i've installed minigpsd 0.31f and configured to my BT gps address on my n800.

If i run minigpsd in xterm:
~ $ minigpsd
/dev/mmcblk1p1 /media/mmc1 vfat rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,noatime,nodiratime,uid=2999 9,fmask=0133,dmask=0000,codepage=cp437,iocharset=i so8859-1,shortname=mixed,utf8 0 0
Can't connect RFCOMM socket: Operation now in progress
the red circle state remain and nothing else.

If before i run:
rfcomm connect 00:1b:xx:xx:xx:xx

~ $ /home/user/gpscon.sh

Connected /dev/rfcomm0 to 00:1b:xx:xx:xx:xx on channel 1

Press CTRL-C for hangup
and after:
~ $ minigpsd

/dev/mmcblk1p1 /media/mmc1 vfat rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,noatime,nodiratime,uid=2999 9,fmask=0133,dmask=0000,codepage=cp437,iocharset=i so8859-1,shortname=mixed,utf8 0 0

Can't connect RFCOMM socket: Device or resource busy

New time invalidates preset alarm: disabling

Can't connect RFCOMM socket: Device or resource busy
the green circle state and the symbols sats appair.

I i run the standard gpsd (starting Map or /usr/libexec/navicore-gpsd-helper):
~ $ ps | grep gps

2207 user 15176 SW< /usr/libexec/navicore-gpsd-helper

2215 user 2896 SW< /usr/sbin/gpsd -n -N -F /tmp/.gpsd_ctrl_sock /dev/rfc

2217 user 1888 RW grep gps
MMapper connects succesfully if set to host gpsd 127.0.0.1 on port 2947.

What i'm wrong with minigpsd ?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by joy_fun_man; 2009-05-06 at 22:37.

Tags
gps, obd2