Notices

Posts: 3,074 | Thanked: 12,960 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sofia,Bulgaria
@eagle_linux:
do you have latest (1.0.0) version?

if so, try next steps:
Once you have configured (and saved) correct layout for external keyboard, try to reconnect it without pressing save button on UI, something like:

1.connect keyboard
2. configure layout from UI
3. save
4. disconnect keyboard
5. connect keyboard
6. dismiss UI (by taping outside dialog)

and playing with setxkbmap will interfere with extkbd, so it is better to avoid it

BTW setxkbmap -model nokiarx51 -layout de | xkbcomp -i 3 $DISPLAY sets layout of internal keyboard (id 3)

Last edited by freemangordon; 2010-11-18 at 08:54.

Originally Posted by number41 View Post
No, I assumed the application enabled it by itself. I was actually going to edit my post and this bit of info, but you mentioned it before I did. :) Once I tried it, the application worked like a charm, albeit with one problem:

I couldn't get diacritics, upon which my language (portuguese) depends heavily upon, to work. Changing the language to Brazil wouldn't help. I didn't try Portugal, but I'm not sure it would work.

This is a known bug in maemo since Diablo, I think, though there's a workaround described in http://labs.danilocesar.com/blog/200...cents-on-n800/ , which I couldn't get to work on extkbd. It works on Fremantle, though, I was using it before trying extkbd.
So, did you try Portugal with different variants (nativo for example)?

I will test it later, today. I should mention, though, that I have the xkb-chinook directory in usb/share/X11, and in both /usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/nokia_vndr/ and the xkb-chinook variant, i have the modified su-8w file with the portuguese language modification.

Would those interfere with testing, or is it ok to make tests with those modifications still present?

Originally Posted by freemangordon View Post
@eagle_linux:
and playing with setxkbmap will interfere with extkbd, so it is better to avoid it

BTW setxkbmap -model nokiarx51 -layout de | xkbcomp -i 3 $DISPLAY sets layout of internal keyboard (id 3)
Yes, I used version 1.0.0

I tried it according to your instructions, same results as before. Internal keyboard sort of works, internal (= the slide-out keyboard integrated into the n900) keyboard has the wrong layout.

Also, the setxkbmap command was SUPPOSED to fix the internal keyboard layout, as using your program caused the external keyboard layout to be somewhat correct, but the internal keyboard layout to be wrong. Sorry if I didn't make myself clear, I'm still somewhat busy with a cold I've caught

Originally Posted by number41 View Post
I will test it later, today. I should mention, though, that I have the xkb-chinook directory in usb/share/X11, and in both /usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/nokia_vndr/ and the xkb-chinook variant, i have the modified su-8w file with the portuguese language modification.

Would those interfere with testing, or is it ok to make tests with those modifications still present?
If you have modified files in /usr/share/X11/xkb/ after installing extkbd, probably that is the reason why you have problems. What i can propose is to reinstall xkb-data-extkbd package and to setup keyboard from UI. If it still not work correctly after that please make a screenshot of extkbd UI and attach it here, so i will be able to recreate your problem.

Originally Posted by eagle_linux View Post
Yes, I used version 1.0.0

I tried it according to your instructions, same results as before. Internal keyboard sort of works, internal (= the slide-out keyboard integrated into the n900) keyboard has the wrong layout.

Also, the setxkbmap command was SUPPOSED to fix the internal keyboard layout, as using your program caused the external keyboard layout to be somewhat correct, but the internal keyboard layout to be wrong. Sorry if I didn't make myself clear, I'm still somewhat busy with a cold I've caught
Have in mind that setxkbmap sets layout of ALL keyboard devices, the id you pass to command line is somehow ignored.

Posts: 182 | Thanked: 69 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Netherlands
Somehow, since installing v1.0 over 0.9, my Stowaway keyboard won't work anymore. It is still listed in the extkbd UI (I did not need to re-connect it), and stays 'blue' after connecting, but does not work at all anymore.

OK, just to make things more clear - there is no need to run extkbd UI every time you connect keyboard, only for initial setup and if you need to change layout or setup new keyboard.

@maartenmk:
Sorry to hear that, actually v1.0.0 was my last try to use setxkbmap for setting layouts, obviously with negative result. Will you please upgrade to v 1.0.1 and test again (it does not use setxkbmap and hopefully will work). And I would suggest to reboot n900 (just in case) and re-pair keyboard.

The Following User Says Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by freemangordon View Post
If you have modified files in /usr/share/X11/xkb/ after installing extkbd, probably that is the reason why you have problems. What i can propose is to reinstall xkb-data-extkbd package and to setup keyboard from UI. If it still not work correctly after that please make a screenshot of extkbd UI and attach it here, so i will be able to recreate your problem.
Ok, I will overwrite the /usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/nokia_vndr/su-8w file with the original one, and reinstall the package you mentioned. I will report the results later.

Posts: 182 | Thanked: 69 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Netherlands
thanks freemangordon; v 1.0.1 does work, internal keyboard also still fully functional this time.
I did need to use the manual connection method again.
It also reconnects.
After I switched Bluetooth off and on it didn't react anymore at first, but it somehow recovered, after a minute or two. I'll see if that comes back and report.

Tags
bluetooth, keyboard