Active Topics

Closed Thread
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Hi Andrew,

You're going to need to reboot your tablet and run "sudo debian" again; there's too much "noise" here for me to figure out what's going on. This bit bothers me, however; it suggests that there's something wrong with the setup of your turbo-loop...

Code:
device-mapper: create ioctl failed: Device or resource busy
Command failed

Posts: 1,656 | Thanked: 1,196 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Alabama, USA
what do you know reboot fixed it

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Weird how suddenly there's a flood of problems... are people suddenly starting to use this more for some reason?

Posts: 46 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ VA, USA
dreams CAN come true...

Posts: 46 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Australia
Hello Qole,
First of all thank you for the nice port.
One question:
Is there any way to download new applications on the card instead of main memmory?
I tried to install several applications on Debian.
Few worked (smaller ones) such as gpodder, but larger ones , such as Evolution failed to install becouse I ran out of memmory in the main Nokia memory.
Is there any solution?
Thank you again.

Originally Posted by freekyfrogy View Post
dreams CAN come true...
They're using this at DISNEY WORLD!?!?

Or maybe people are discovering they can meet hot chicks by using Easy Debian?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by STANUL View Post
... larger ones , such as Evolution failed to install becouse I ran out of memmory in the main Nokia memory...
You're not running out of room in "main Nokia memory", you're running out of room in your 1.1 GB image file. You can remove some of the bigger applications to get back some space, using "apt-get remove <application>", or you can grow the image file up to 2GB using resize2fs. There are several tutorials on how to do this in this very thread.

Also, make sure you follow the instructions in the first post for getting back some space using localepurge.

Posts: 111 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Singapore
Hi Qole, I made my own keyboard-mini.xml -- 2 rows, (almost) full keyboard keys. Feel free to use it or modify it or distribute it. A screen shot is attached.
Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: zip keyboard-mini.xml.zip (885 Bytes, 189 views)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pton For This Useful Post:
Posts: 111 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Singapore
Hi Qole, I have one suggestion. Currently, CJK (Chinese, Japanese, Korean) users have the following problems with using maemo-cjk, and it seems there is no solution:
1) maemo-cjk replaces hildon virtual keyboard completely with matchbox-keyboard -- not even switching is possible.
2) in diablo, matchbox-keyboard (with maemo-cjk) cannot work in microb browser -- this force most of the users to drop maemo-cjk completely, and rely on online chinese input (like www.g.cn).

Most of the users are casual user (like me). So actually a Chinese editor is sufficient for occasional usage, and cut-and-paste from the editor can be used at least.

I understand you are splitting your (large) software into 2 part: chroot and debian/ubuntu. May I suggest that besides debian/ubuntu, you compiled one with minimum apps to provide a CJK editor (leafpad). What is needed in that image file is simply leafpad, SCIM (scim-pinyin etc), and matchbox-keyboard. No need LXDE, open-office etc. This can then become a viable alternative to maemo-cjk and solves the above 2 problems. In fact, it also gives users the flexibility to use other input methods, like gcin (let advance users install themselves).

I'm actually using it myself, and I keep the CJK leafpad opened all the time to do away with scim loading time (no impact to battery life). I think many CJK users would appreciate this easy CJK Editor apps

Last edited by pton; 2009-01-30 at 02:01.

pton: I think you should suggest your idea to pipeline; he has a package that can run various "appliances" like the one you describe. Go to this thread for more info.

Closed Thread

Tags
debian, firefox, gimp, java, openoffice