Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by peterleinchen View Post
But, are you also on 1.0.0.5?
You asking me? Hell no. Why would I want to run an obsolete version that I don't like?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
The problem is exactly like @olf nails it; usually having kernel sources is not the glitch but the proprietary modules is.

There are ways around it, one can write wrappers for the proprietary bits and hence get as recent kernel as one desires but it is quite tedious and creates a maintanance hell.
(but yes, doable if you desperately need a once-off solution)

If you decide to go that way, be prepared to write quite a lot of support code against glibc...
This makes one thing exceptionally clear: what a piece of garbage linux is.

Community Council | Posts: 680 | Thanked: 1,227 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Mbabane
Originally Posted by paoletto View Post
Is it possible that you chose to buy the wrong kind of phone? Maybe an iPhone would have been best ...

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sicelo For This Useful Post:
^ or a Windows phone

Anyhow, a statement like that on a forum for a Linux-based phone OS is akin to what this guy is doing.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nonsuch For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,702 | Thanked: 4,752 times | Joined on Apr 2018 @ Helsinki, Finland.
To paoletto's comment: Why they ever made linux because it clearly is off no use and value whatsoever? Just a piece of garbage - in those billions old and new machines. Why anyone uses linux?

I claim linux is not just a piece of garbage. If what linux is could be easily done other better way around I believe it already would have been done. It's strengths are in some cases weaknesses in light of user friendliness, but life should not be measured with "used time" as the highest value. The world is already spinning too fast and coming generations will reap a nasty crop (crap) which has not been tested with long term test cycle.

Master of not knowing (active)

For me it is possible to get lost in any case (active)

Learning to fall from high (DONE)

Learning to code with BASIC (WIP)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Maemish For This Useful Post:
Posts: 697 | Thanked: 1,980 times | Joined on Jun 2015 @ Lisbon - Portugal
If you are still here since 2012 it seems to be a fancy piece of garbage

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to deutch1976 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,702 | Thanked: 4,752 times | Joined on Apr 2018 @ Helsinki, Finland.
Maybe paoletto's comment is a result of what is in "Test device lock" thread. Understandable frustration and anger. If I try something and am willing to try to solve something and someone else becomes an obstacle without a valid or sufficient reason in my mind I become really annoyed. The will to crack and will to put and sacrife time and effort and then to be blocked by another agent or entity. Almost unbearable situation which is hard to tolerate and accept.

Master of not knowing (active)

For me it is possible to get lost in any case (active)

Learning to fall from high (DONE)

Learning to code with BASIC (WIP)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maemish For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by nonsuch View Post
is akin to what this guy is doing.
whoa. you CANNOT post something like that, especially with no warning. for one thing, despite being funny for the shock value, it is in fact deeply offensive (not just because of the word).

for another thing, my computer just SHOUTED THE N-WORD. please edit your comment and remove the link, or at least caption it as 'racist joke, nsfw'

p.s.: that is EXACTLY what paoletto was doing now delete that post please...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wolke For This Useful Post:
hey mates, it's 2021, and there's still no sane way to produce applications that would run on linux 2028. Not even AppImage guarantees that.
Windoze does that since the nineties.
The ******** jolla did with their update is unrelated. That shows only what piece of garbage Sailfish OS is, which, even though seems related to my linux comment, it really is not.

Posts: 697 | Thanked: 1,980 times | Joined on Jun 2015 @ Lisbon - Portugal
hey mates, it's 2021, and there's still no sane way to produce applications that would run on linux 2028. Not even AppImage guarantees that.
Windoze does that since the nineties.
The ******** jolla did with their update is unrelated. That shows only what piece of garbage Sailfish OS is, which, even though seems related to my linux comment, it really is not.
Now that i took a minute to think and read your last statment, i end up agreeing with you in some parts. I like Sailfish but looking at the ammount of linux distros and any os atempts, i may say it is a mess because there are so many variations where the effort put on it might become more useful if it was dedicated to one or two variation.

The Following User Says Thank You to deutch1976 For This Useful Post: