Posts: 1,417 | Thanked: 2,619 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Touring
I think some folks see the high price still gotten for nice N900s one-off in eBay and assume there is a big collector value which will forever continue to increase. Reality is that the N900's value will drop like a stone once there is a similar grade modern GNU-Linux computer-phone with hardware keyboard available.
They also assume a reseller will pay the same price as one guy buying one replacement of his favorite phone.

The Following User Says Thank You to biketool For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,702 | Thanked: 4,752 times | Joined on Apr 2018 @ Helsinki, Finland.
I thought that for 100 piece working, without boxes, batteries or charger, 2000-2500€ would be a good price to get. I think someoe may offer 3500€ if someone is as deluded and thinks he can make a profit by selling them separately. I am inheriting some money but I do not have that money yet. If I would already have it I would have probably made an offer. Why? For leste and possibly for a meeting and for trying to spread N900 awareness. I think the need for N900 phones may increase a lot when Leste is ready as a working phone out of the box. But even then price for only the phone could be realisticly about max 80€ per phone. N900 would and should be considered the low price choice and not a collectors item. Too bad they made some articles about it and prices in recent years.

Maybe I will throw an offer after all.

Master of not knowing (active)

For me it is possible to get lost in any case (active)

Learning to fall from high (DONE)

Learning to code with BASIC (WIP)

The Following User Says Thank You to Maemish For This Useful Post:
Updated the first post after a phone call.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maemish For This Useful Post:
I doubt the seller has really tested the phones (no batteries in 70 phones, starting a phone consumes power a lot, charging takes time). I also sent the list of things which should have been tested before saying they all work (screen, slider, battery charge, usb port, speakers and audio plug, sim detection and cellular data etc.)

I also said that if they are not really tested to work the price can be 10€ because it is then spare parts only and they can't claim them to work. I hope they listen to reason.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Maemish For This Useful Post:
But should we buy them and order 100 batteries directly from Nokia for them and sell them next year Maemo Leste preinstalled.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to teroyk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,417 | Thanked: 2,619 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Touring
Originally Posted by Maemish View Post
N900 would and should be considered the low price choice and not a collectors item.
I agree, there are more modern phones, even the keyboard Motorola which have almost everything but the FM radio transmitter and IR blaster. I still cant use an android as an everyday phone, probably because of how easy it is to write and edit scripts for the N900, but Leste fixes that for other phones.
That said I am still hanging outside feeling naked with only one fully working N900.
I could probably get by with a add-on slider keyboard if it somehow jacked into a screen-slab phone's USB port and was military grade tough, especially if the phone were already water resistant.

The Following User Says Thank You to biketool For This Useful Post:
It seems the sellers are not the most trustworthy people and I can't be sure the devices are not hot. The guy sent me accidentally a message that was supposed to go to the owner of the phones. The message was that way cryptic that made me to think some illicit stuff going on. And they cancelled our meeting for today.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Maemish For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by Maemish View Post
It seems the sellers are not the most trustworthy people and I can't be sure the devices are not hot. The guy sent me accidentally a message that was supposed to go to the owner of the phones. The message was that way cryptic that made me to think some illicit stuff going on. And they cancelled our meeting for today.
So you mean the guy peddling the devices on Tori is not actually the owner of the lot but a middleman... that does sound a bit hazy indeed.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
So you mean the guy peddling the devices on Tori is not actually the owner of the lot but a middleman... that does sound a bit hazy indeed.
Should we try to contact to original owner?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to teroyk For This Useful Post:
They cancelled meeting yesterday and we made a deal to meet today but neither of their phones can't be reached and both a prepaid. Maybe cops got them. I asked cops if they knew of any storage robbery or something cause I was about to buy this amount of phones but because of privacy laws (?) they could not tell if there has been any that kind of stuff happened. But I showed them the advertise and the numbers so maybe thhe were hot after all. I am so disappointed. Already thought to post a picture of me covered with N900s.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Maemish For This Useful Post:

Tags
many pieces, much an a lot, multiple, nokia n900