Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 1,729 | Thanked: 388 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Canada
is there anyone who can help on a step by step process on how to unzip zipped files on n900? Or direct me to a related topic of this thread? Im really a noob in mac and maemo, and im not a computer wiz or somrthibg else good at computers, but i can follow simple instructions.

I tried playing on xterm but when i get to the folder where the file is going to be unzipped, and i typed "unzip (name of the zipped file)" it says (name of the unzipped file) not found!

I badly need help.
Thanks in advance!

Posts: 663 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ London, UK
Did you capitalise correctly?
Linux is case sensitive on filenames.
Nokia are a business and have chosen a path of using the OSS community phenomenon to reduce their overheads specifically after sales support and development. Unlike Apple who do the opposite and make a killing from their Applications store.

Originally Posted by cashclientel View Post
Did you capitalise correctly?
Linux is case sensitive on filenames.
yes, i copy exactly the file name, even some under scores and dots

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Is the zip file in the same directory (use "ls" to check), or did you provide the full path to the zip file?

The Following User Says Thank You to Rob1n For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Rob1n View Post
Is the zip file in the same directory (use "ls" to check), or did you provide the full path to the zip file?
yes when i access MyDocs there are some folders shown like in the file manager the i type "ls" and more folders and files are visible including the file i wanted to unzip. what i have done is type "unzip (name of file)" and then it says file not found. did i got that right? or im way too far?

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
That should be correct, yes. Can you upload a screenshot of the output of the "ls" and the unzip commands?

The Following User Says Thank You to Rob1n For This Useful Post:
That should be correct, yes. Can you upload a screenshot of the output of the "ls" and the unzip commands?
yes shortly....

Posts: 353 | Thanked: 263 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Tab key is your friend when typing filenames (or commands). Start typing "unzip abc" where abc is a couple of first letters of filename and use tab to complete the filename. This way you can't type it wrong.

Note that if there are for example files "nicefile.txt" and "nicerfile.txt" and you type "nice" and then click tab, it doesn't complete it, but when you click tab twice, it shows all files which starts with "nice" and then you can type some more ("f" for "nicefile.txt" or "r" for "nicerfile.txt") and click tab to complete.

The Following User Says Thank You to TNiga For This Useful Post:

i think this is it

Posts: 127 | Thanked: 86 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hannover, Germany
root
apt-get install unzip
exit

should help.

HTH

Thorsten

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to schnebeck For This Useful Post: