Active Topics

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Originally Posted by cybernut View Post
The light is on OK - nice and steady and I can hear the drive. If I then plug it into the laptop everything is fine. Unplug it from the laptop and nothing. The flash drive works fine that way but not the drive. Interesting....

The only thing I can think of is the hub requires a little too much power??? even though it's powered externally by either the AC supply or my battery pack and the light is on and steady. Does that sound logical? I guess I'll have to buy, borrow or beg another hub from my friends and see if another brand helps. I can't think of anything else to do...

C
See my previous post, in order for the HD to get enough juice, I need to power the USB HUB with a USB AC adapter. LaptopPC USB plug is NOT enough to make my HD work, although it is having a steady green light though. Have you tried to use an USB AC adapter with your USB HUB? I know it is frustrating, we will get it work

bun

It really seems to be about the power. I have tried using the AC adapter that came with it i.e. 5V@2A so the should be plenty of power. I also used an external battery pack/cell phone charger that I use to recharge the N800. Nothing seems to work. I'm sure glad you have patience though I'm almost ready to give up. The one thing I haven't tried (I'll do it tonight) is to try every thing with an external 3.5" USB drive. I think everyone says that works (directly and through the hub)

C

Definitely considering trying THIS out. I can't see dimensions of the unit anywhere...but it's a 4-port Battery Powered USB Hub. That's awesome. If anyone checks this out, be sure to post your reviews for us!!

http://www.shopping.com/xPO-Cybernet...-Hub-CP-H420MP

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by cybernut View Post
I'm sure glad you have patience though I'm almost ready to give up.
Check out dmesg, like I suggested on the other thread. It may reveal something important.

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Originally Posted by Atarii View Post
I am using 2008HE and used the linux flasher application to set --enable-rd-mode and --enable-usb-host-mode. I have tested with multiple USB card readers and cards, and they work perfectly, mounting /dev/sda or /dev/sda1. I hope to get external wifi adapters to work, but currently there is no rt73 drivers for the 770 kernel. I haven't yet tried an external hard-drive, but will later. The F-F adapter is also from dealextreme: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.2646 Here is an annotated pic of my setup:

The AA-battery powered device I bought from poundland (UK shop), so it's not branded. I think it is meant to charge phones and devices "on-the-go" as it came with multiple adapters including the USB one shown. I think they have similar devices on dealextreme. Pic here:

Thanks. The pics are really nice, a pic paints a 1000 words. I am interested to see whether you can get any ext HD runs with the AA-battery powered device. I got several of them, I can get a lot of stuff working, but no HD, yet. You never know

Like this palmsize HD, I have been trying for months before I pull this off, power on the tablet with the HD attached.

bun

I thought I had posted this this morning but I don't see it. I it is duplicated somewhere else let me know and I will erase it.
As Jethro suggested above and the other thread, I took several passes of dmesg with and without the HD on (and not working) and my flash USB. I redirected it to 3 files that are in my root directory but I can't get them out. I'm using putty - is the a "file " command to send them to my PC. I tried sending them to my flah drive using:
cp /root/*.txt /media/usb/sda1/*.txt I can see them on the drive so they seem to get copied but I can't see them with my PC (I can't seem to unmount them - maybe the files aren't being closed??? I'll keep trying if someone thinks it's important to solve my problem and then I can post them so they can read them. The easiest would be if I can get a command to send them over putty (ssh)

TIA

C

The Following User Says Thank You to cybernut For This Useful Post:
that doesn't look like a proper command...

cp /root/*.txt /media/usb/sda1 I think is what you want.. you don't want *.txt at the end of the second parameter.. it would cause for unexpected results methinks... and yes.. I swear I read someone else say this same thing recently..

Aha...

http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...2Fsda1%2F*.txt
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post:
I got the files to go to the flash disk (twice) and I think I did it earlier, but I can't unmount the drive - no unmount command and the usb symbol has a disconnect but it only flashes. I shut the power off (I think that should unmount cleanly then) and when I look with my laptop they aren't there - I think because they didn't get closed properly. They were on the flash drive since I could look at them with putty(ssh) and the local file manager. Is there a way to transfer the 3 files with putty or the installed go to root mode so I can see the files in /root. I could do that with another file manager I had but I haven't installed it yet on Diablo.

Cheers

C

putty has pscp.. a different exe downloadable at their site which allows you to SCP files over..

pscp root@tablet:/root/*.txt ./

is what you would do in a dos prompt... you can't umount if the device is busy.. which means that all terminals must not even be cd'd into the /media/usb directory or it will return device is busy.

Other than that I dunno.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

The Following User Says Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post:
I got them from the N800 through pscp - thanks fs. Slowly getting there - 1 babystep at a time...
The dmesg names should be relatively obvious what I was doing.
1. no USB
2. 20 GG HD through the 4 port hub
3. USB flash
So if someone wants to take a look and see if there is something interesting, I would appreciate it.

TIA

C
Attached Files
File Type: gz test.tar.gz (3.7 KB, 120 views)