Poll: Have you had charging or USB problems with your N900
Poll Options
Have you had charging or USB problems with your N900

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by woodyear99 View Post
Was this choice due to cost cutting or just a poor decision?
I can only speculate, but I used to be a PCB designer, sooo...

It's easier to manufacture PCBs that are either all through hole or all surface mount. Hybrid boards are a major pain. They require more complex equipment and processes. So I'm *assuming* the decision was based on expediency, and just failed to take into account the stresses a connector would encounter. Someone planted a forest but overlooked a tree.

EDIT: that all assumes of course that the N900 PCB is all surface mount. I don't know offhand.

Last edited by Texrat; 2010-01-07 at 17:31.

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
I wonder if a glob of epoxy around the surface mount would provide adequate stress relief. Is there anything in the vicinity that would be adversely affected? The opening is barely bigger than the port itself, so this would involve dis-assembly.

Originally Posted by Nexus7 View Post
I wonder if a glob of epoxy around the surface mount would provide adequate stress relief. Is there anything in the vicinity that would be adversely affected? The opening is barely bigger than the port itself, so this would involve dis-assembly.
I doubt it would hurt... and a syringe could insert it. There are some made just for this sort of work; no prescription required.

Originally Posted by Nexus7 View Post
Problem is that all the support is on the bottom, on the board, and nothing from the sides nor above. I was thinking of putting a gob of silicon or rubber cement above the port, to brace it against the housing that sits above it.

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
I doubt it would hurt... and a syringe could insert it. There are some made just for this sort of work; no prescription required.
You know, I did search for epoxy injection, and all I got was for injecting into concrete, which is at a somewhat different scale. But syringe opens up other possibilities. While most syringe applicators look to be two-nozzle, and bigger than the space available here, I found a syringe for the syringes (http://www.jamestowndistributors.com...ct.do?pid=2096). How big the tip is, I don't know.

This would invalidate the warranty, I suppose. Also, it was indicated earlier in the thread that a ckt board sits right above the port. Was that the fix that was applied after pre-production experience; and wouldn't that board get stuck if exoxy is injected?

I don't know the answer to the last questions... but when I was a lab tech I used to buy syringes that were modular and accepted various needle apertures for adhesive deposition. Not sure what this would cost a single consumer; I bought in bulk...

Originally Posted by colnago View Post
Problem is that all the support is on the bottom, on the board, and nothing from the sides nor above. I was thinking of putting a gob of silicon or rubber cement above the port, to brace it against the housing that sits above it.
If the epoxy (I don't know how rigid rubber cement can get) bonds to the board, and then forms a cup around the port, that should do the trick, without needing any support from above.

Posts: 237 | Thanked: 157 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ San Diego, CA
From these pics:

http://www.engadget.com/photos/nokia...the-fcc/815083
http://www.engadget.com/photos/nokia...the-fcc/815082

It looks like the microUSB port on the n810 is mounted similarly to the n900, but I'm not much of a hardware guy it just looks very similar to me.

However, there seems to be some bracing in the plastic housing on the n810.

The Following User Says Thank You to go1dfish For This Useful Post:
Posts: 110 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Moon
i took sharp knife to all of my usb plugs that i use with n900 and worked in these spring loaded clips, just pushing it down few times with fair amount of force (without going nuts) they are now not as hard to go down and pluging in and unpluging is much better, there is now almost no resistance.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Croc For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Croc View Post
i took sharp knife to all of my usb plugs that i use with n900 and worked in these spring loaded clips, just pushing it down few times with fair amount of force (without going nuts) they are now not as hard to go down and pluging in and unpluging is much better, there is now almost no resistance.
I was considering doing this, could this cause any issues while charging?

Tags
bad design, broken, charging, failure, hardware, loose, microusb, microusb port, n900, nokia, part, port, repair, return, surface mount, usb, usb port, warranty