Active Topics

Posts: 248 | Thanked: 191 times | Joined on May 2010 @ New Zealand
Future of Maemo?

So, the shift from MeeGo to WP7 offers little hope for a working MeeGo on the n900, and future support for Maemo? I doubt it.

Sounds like despite one major sponsor's interest, the netbook UX is on hold, and with the transfer of allegiance by another major sponsor, the handset UX is now to be put on hold, which leaves tablets and in-car entertainment.

So, no hope of my n900 or my rebadged MSI-Wind getting functional MeeGo on them. Pity. I can run Unity on the netbook, and it looks like Canonical is banking on Unity. I am still stuck with an unfinished Maemo on the n900. Still, I guess it is better that MeeGo gets ditched than bringing out another half-finished product on a mobile phone again.

Don't get me wrong, I love my n900 - I just wish it ran something more like Unity. Everything it does, I think it does well, I just have this sneaking feeling it could do more - in fact, that it should do more. But it doesn't. And people said once apps were ported to run on QT, there would be, and QT was part of MeeGo, so apps for MeeGo would run on Maemo, which would be supported by the community, blah, blah, blah - meanwhile developers have voted with their feet.

So, at the end of the day, let's be blunt.

What a load of crap - you cannot polish a turd.

Mish.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh another thread???????? I dont want to offend you...but over a dozen threads created today, about future of maemo, meego, nokia and blah, blah, balh.

We have had to put up with all the rubbish about how wonderful everything will be once the next release/update/MeeGo comes out for so long. Perhaps it is time to let people vent, instead of trying to coral into one thread, stick fingers in ears, and pretend people haven't been screwed over?

Mish

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Ok.. I-I w-w-will try t-to be blunt...

Search. Use existing threads if available.
Don't start a new thread unless it's a new topic.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following User Says Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Vent away. But it's pure arrogance to think your post was so unique that it needed a new thread.

Sure, and I note the avoidance in dealing with the issues raised.

Mish.

Merge it by all means - I did not want to add to a thread where everybody is blaming so-and-so for the shortcomings of the n900/Maemo/MeeGo. My question is where does this leave the future for those of us who have an n900?

n900 - unfinished, relied on future release of Maemo, which relied on MeeGo & QT development. That is unfinished. So, having shouted people down every time they raised these concerns for the past 6 months or so - now is the time to be honest.

How do you guys intend to polish this turd?

Mish

Tags
op is a turd, please merge