Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 1,107 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Germany
Originally Posted by Addison View Post
PGA Tour Golf

Thanks again for all of the good work you have put into this project!
Thank you for the excellent vertical keyboard.

Originally Posted by throwawayCA View Post
The old DOS ports of the ICOM games (shadowgate, deja vu 1 & 2, uninvited) seems to be working, will post again later if any bugs or repeat-crashes arise. great mouse-based abandonware, i only wish there were a way to play the OG MacOS versions, they were prettier and higher-resolution, albeit in B&W... (it's like playing your favorite childhood games TURNERIZED!)
If they were for the 68k based macs then you might be able to play it with Basilisk. There is a thread in the forum about mac emulation already. Give it a try.

Posts: 197 | Thanked: 39 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Long Island
------------------
Warcraft 1 (floppy version)
Dosbox 0.72 chinook (n800)
sound choppy above 700 cpu.
With no sound and 3000 cpu game ran, but slow. Not playable at this speed.

The Following User Says Thank You to bluesubaru For This Useful Post:
Master of Orion
Dosbox 0.72 chinook (n800)
Mouse sensitivity 50
You need to calibrate (shove the cursor against the edge of the screen) frequently but it seems to work. I haven't tested sound but it isn't important for this game anyway

The Following User Says Thank You to kitsu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 356 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ Madrid, Spain
LBA1
Dosbox 0.72 chinook (n810)
Direct copy of game files from PC to mmc2 with no resetting of params to run on N810. Runs very slow, is not playable.

No real idea what I am doing to get best setup, but here are the screenshots of start of game on my N810

Window Mode

FullScreen Mode

Not bad for my very first attempt at running an old DOS Game with dosbox on initially my PC and then N810

The game is simple to control. The main controls are :-
  • Arrow keys to move Twinsen
  • Spacebar as action button
  • [Alt] to use your weapon
  • [Shift] to access the inventory
You use [Ctrl] to switch between the unique four behaviour modes which give the gameplay an extra dimension.
  • Normal - This mode is used for walking, to talk to people and to interact with objects. Nearly every object in the game is interactive You can get health points, magic points and keys out of trashcans and flower boxes, read posters and signs, and control switches.
  • Athletic - With this mode you can run and jump. It is mostly used to explore scenes and run past enemies.
  • Aggressive - This mode is used as an addition to the use of your magic ball, your initial weapon that bounces and returns automatically after you’ve thrown it.
  • Discreet - This mode is used to sneak around. You mainly need it to sneak past enemies or to hide for them.

Last edited by MikeL; 2008-03-07 at 12:18. Reason: Addition of game control information

The Following User Says Thank You to MikeL For This Useful Post:
Posts: 356 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ Madrid, Spain
Further messing with various settings for LBA1 and its almost playable on my n810 via dosbox/rubybox (thanks guys, had fun trying to get LBA1 to run reliably)

I used rubybox to allow me to quickly change dosbox basic parameters and see results in game.
  • cpu cycles 1200
  • sblaster sbtype sb1
With above settings and with LBA1 set to lowest sympathetic game settings via its own setup.exe and options in game, produces a game that is almost playable with uninterrupted sound!. (game looks good on N810 displayed fullscreen)

Note: you can read help.txt of LBA1 via setup.exe for optimum dos settings and pc requirements

The game menu and keyboard control is generally slow and requires long key-presses to ensure user interaction is understood by game? (would love to know what else to tweak to improve interaction speed)

Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
Monopoly Deluxe

Basic settings:
Executable: MONOPOLY.BAT
cpu cycles: 500
dosbox machine: vga
render frameskip: 0
sblaster sbtype: sb1
sdl fullscreen: true
sdl sensitivity: 200 (it's the best setting even though it's not the greatest)

This is how my MONOPOLY.BAT is set up:
mp DIGI=SBLASTER.COM

I'm sure that this game could be screaming fast, but I chose slower settings to get better sound quality during gameplay.

If you want the MIDI music to run, which I didn't use, you'll need to run the INSTALL.BAT file and drop the cycles down even further to 400.

The game has loads of options and a neat little system to create your own personal hot-keys.

I made my own so I thought I'd might as well share them in case anyone is interested.

Just copy the MP.INI to overwrite your old one.

The right on-screen keyboard goes hand in hand with the settings in that file.

To get the left keyboard running it's:
xkbd -geometry +65536+65536 -k /media/mmc2/x.xkbd

To get the right keyboard running it's:
xkbd -geometry +722+65536 -k /media/mmc2/m.xkbd

Known problems:
First, the game takes about 90 seconds to load up.
Second, since xkbd still isn't all too friendly with the keys "a-z", you might be best to avoid them, even when trying to use them as capital letters.
I'm not sure of this, but I think the game will crash if you're pressing on the virtual keyboards while the pieces are moving on the board.
Since the mouse kind of blows, it is possible to do almost everything using the D-Pad, Center D-Pad/Enter, Select/Space, Roll/Backspace, and Tab buttons. It just takes a little getting used to, that's all.
Lastly, it's absolutely essential that you apply the 1.50 patch to the game since it fixes numerous bugs and makes the animations run much better on slower machines.

Here's where you can find the patch:
http://dlh.net/cgi-bin/dlp.cgi?lang=...150.zip&ref=ps

Overall rating for this game: 5 stars out of 5

This has so many in game options to customize, I think most of you will really like it even if you're one who thinks that Monopoly is just for ******s and small farm animals.

Here's my personal files:
MP.zip
x.zip
m.zip

Post a reply if you're having any trouble getting it all together.

Last edited by Addison; 2008-03-15 at 16:13.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Addison For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,107 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Germany
Originally Posted by Addison View Post
...small farm animals.
Thanks Addison, that looks awesome It would be nice if nokia would give us a keyboard that worked... with all X apps, wouldn't it?

hmm?

Thanks Addison, that looks awesome It would be nice if nokia would give us a keyboard that worked... with all X apps, wouldn't it?
I THINK THAT THEY SHOULD BE PROSECUTED TO THE FULLEST EXTENT OF THE LAW!!!!

Hey dude, I've got a question for you.

Here's my /usr/bin/dosboxkbd file
#!/bin/sh
xkbd -geometry +65536+65536 -k /media/mmc2/x.xkbd
xkbd -geometry +722+65536 -k /media/mmc2/m.xkbd

If I load up the game in Rubybox then just the left keyboard fires up.

So then I close Dosbox and return back to Rubybox, then the right keyboard fires up.

So then I start the game once again in Rubybox and I'll have both keyboards on the screen.

Is there a way to dual boot two keyboards at the same time or is the best method of doing this?

Thanks chief!

Ironman Ivan Stewart's Super Offroad

Basic settings:
Executable: IRONMAN.BAT
cpu cycles: 500
dosbox machine: vga
render frameskip: 0
sblaster sbtype: sb1
sdl fullscreen: true
sdl mapperfile: /usr/share/dosbox/offroad.txt

First I ran SETUP inside the game folder and selected
MCGA/VGA

Okay, so the music and the sound effects go hand in hand together.
Meaning, that if you want quality sound effects, you're stuck listening to the music which chunks up really bad in the game.

Here's a nifty solution though... Use a Hex Editor such as Hex Workshop, it can be found here:
http://www.bpsoft.com/downloads/

Now using Hex Worshop or whatever editor you're using, open up the GAME.EXE file.

Change the values of these two hex locations:

457E: 5032 to C332
and
45D8: A084 to C384

Now you'll have great sound effects in the game without the music in the background which is worse than listening to pots and pans banging together.

Also, since Xkbd is really goosey, I just mapped all of the keys so you don't need to use the virtual keyboard.

Here's how they are mapped:
Zoom out - 3
Full Screen - a
Zoom in - q
Left D Pad - z
Right D Pad - v
Up D Pad - x
Down D Pad -c
Escape key - n

So once you fire up the game, you can close out the virtual keyboard.
When it asks the question "Are you using a joystick?", press the Escape key (top button just below the D Pad).
When it asks "Please select sound:" press the Zoom out key.

The left and right D Pad buttons are for hard turns.
The up and down D Pad buttons are for lesser hard turns.
Full screen button if for gas.
Zoom in key is for nitro.

Overall rating for this game: 4 stars out of 5

The controls are a little awkward so if there's anyone that can figure out how to map the keys so that Xkbd will work during a race, I'll make a special keyboard just for this game.

As always, any gripes, complaints, comments, observations, words of wisdom, feats of magic, or links to websites that contain pictures of fat chicks wearing party hats, please post a response or send me a private message.

Super Offroad mapper file for keys
offroad.zip

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Addison For This Useful Post: