Notices

Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
I've just noticed that abiword has been updated in diablo extras-devel for the first time in almost a year. The previous version was 2.6.4, the new one is 2.7.3. It looks like the new version is being worked on by Hubert Figuiere, see http://www.figuiere.net/hub/blog/, who is part of the Abiword team. See the announcement at http://abisource.com/release-notes/2.7.3.phtml. Nice to see that this is being 'officially' worked on by the Abiword team, rather than being ported by someone unrelated.

Obviously it's still only in extras-devel, not extras, so should be treated as a beta. I've given it a quick go, and it does look like the interface has been revamped a bit. For example, the toolbar only has one row rather than two, and the number of menu items seems to be less. It's hard to compare them side-by-side, of course.

Hopefully this version will be more stable and not crash as much as the old one did. Maybe if this works well, they can be persuaded to work on Gnumeric too, which could do with a bit of love, although at least the current version of that doesn't crash.

Last edited by pelago; 2009-06-09 at 12:57.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to pelago For This Useful Post:
Posts: 40 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ New York, NY
I just installed the new 2.7.3. It hangs when I try to open a password-protected Word file. This worked fine in 2.6.4. I'd like to go back to the 2.6.4 version, but I can't figure out where to get it from. Any ideas?

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland

The Following User Says Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Oh wow, this is good news!

any word on whether those crashes have been dealt with?

it seems stable enough for editing thanks to them for the updates.

T3 - IT 810
Confidence is hard to gain easy to loose impossible to regain, Pee

The Following User Says Thank You to Un27Pee For This Useful Post:
Almost all of the previous blocking bugs have been fixed http://bugzilla.abisource.com/showde...e.cgi?id=11451

It seems quite stable for me, only had a one crash when fiddling with some dialogs (don't know which one). It also supports ODT, PDF, very good.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mikkov For This Useful Post:
pretty promissing, but we still need more options for .doc editing

Originally Posted by mikkov View Post
Almost all of the previous blocking bugs have been fixed http://bugzilla.abisource.com/showde...e.cgi?id=11451

It seems quite stable for me, only had a one crash when fiddling with some dialogs (don't know which one). It also supports ODT, PDF, very good.
How good does AbiWord run on Maemo or on Mer?

Posts: 258 | Thanked: 176 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Paris France
On Maemo (Diablo) the old version in official repositories is almost unusable.

I tested the new one in Devel repos', not for a long time but it seems very good. It works without any slow down and launch in some seconds.
In comparison, with Qole's Easy Debian, i use OpenOffice, but it takes about 1,5 mn to launch with an empty text document ... but OOo is a lot more powerfull too !

After launching, OOo, runs well with some slight slowdowns, Abiword runs perfectly.

The Following User Says Thank You to totololo For This Useful Post: