Active Topics

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
...Since we build the system with properitary components for basic tablet support (by the rule of thumb that the people who install it, already has the license to backup and use the components the Nokia tablet contains in firmware, as part of anything running on their own tablets)...
By the way, I hope you aren't actually re-packaging any of the Nokia-provided proprietary pieces... That would be some pretty thin ice you're skating on. I hope you're making a package for Maemo that mounts your Debian install and copies the files from Maemo to Debian as part of the pre/post install scripts. That way, the user must have the files already, and you're just copying the user's files on the user's device...

"Slagathor: The Debian Installer for Maemo"

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
I'll throw out two names

Daemo
Debnit or DebNIT- spin on debin & debit suggestions

If no one likes those, my votes go for (in order of preference):
Tabian,
Debin and
Deblet

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by qole View Post
By the way, I hope you aren't actually re-packaging any of the Nokia-provided proprietary pieces... That would be some pretty thin ice you're skating on. I hope you're making a package for Maemo that mounts your Debian install and copies the files from Maemo to Debian as part of the pre/post install scripts. That way, the user must have the files already, and you're just copying the user's files on the user's device...

"Slagathor: The Debian Installer for Maemo"
Well, the direction is wrong but it's along those lines - the installer has support for what we call fill-in packages, which is a description of a Debian package with a script 'nit-fillin'. When installing, the script is loaded and files from firmware/initfs / downloads are filled in the package, and dpkg-deb --build is run and put in a local apt repository for the Debian apt-get to get it from.

The process cannot complete without having the files actually there and having a OS2008 installation on your firmware / an actual internet tablet (from our code perspective). For files where we get packages from the repositories, we apply same method as is open sourced in the apt-get patches from Maemo, so it requires having a valid component_version. Those checks would put us in same category as let's say apt-getting those packages, or backing up your firmware to MMC, as we don't in any way distribute copyright infriging material in our installation and base packages (which are just scripts).

If people choose to redistribute some of the firmware-based .debs in their local apt repository it would not be legal, obviously, and I've noted this on the wiki since the start.

The Following User Says Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Posts: 39 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Genoa, Italy
I like "Debian Installer for Maemo".

If there are trademark or other "legal" issues I suggest:
- Nobian (because we are sorry we can't call it Debian)
- Tablian (a lot more explicative than Tabian, IMHO)

Posts: 86 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Berlin, Germany
I suggest "Handy", cause it would by handy in your hand!

Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by stale View Post
- Tablian (a lot more explicative than Tabian, IMHO)
Too dangerous. One typo and you are marked terrorist and your tablet gets confiscated on US border :-)

BTW, nice bikeshed color thread, good to see laws working ;-) No offense meant, I know this IS important, that's why I joined :-)

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

The Following User Says Thank You to fanoush For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by fanoush View Post
Too
BTW, nice bikeshed color thread, good to see laws working ;-) No offense meant, I know this IS important, that's why I joined :-)
Hehe, yeah, this is a bit of a bikeshed colour thread - but also meant in a bit of fun to find a good name that people can recognize - not a important code change The actual change is, indeed, editing a few wiki pages and some .py files.

Deblet is a bit interesting and is sticking with me a bit - in terms of saying "my Deblet" for instance - so maybe calling it "Deblet Installer" and Deblet being the manifestation of a tablet running the Deblet image, "making my tablet a Deblet" - a tablet that can run the distro (both in terms of chroot and booting - "Deblet Appplications" menu in Maemo maybe?)

Posts: 643 | Thanked: 628 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Seattle (or thereabouts)
Deblet sounds fine to me. It doesn't seem to have many results in google either, which means it should be easily searchable. I kinda liked the sound of "DEbian for Nokia Tablets" or DENT for short. But I'm pefectly happy with Deblet.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Another vote for Deblet here. And I say the bikeshed should be green.

Tags
debian, deblet