Disclaimer: I don't have a 770 yet, but I want one! One of the things I want to do with it is take notes in meetings, as well as write stuff while on the plane, etc. Text can be entered on a pen-based device as fast (or faster) than typing, IF it's implemented properly. I recommend the HexInput system:

http://www.strout.net/info/ideas/hexinput.html

The 770 is ideally suited to using HexInput; with its nice big screen you could have a good-sized input area and still lots of room to see your content. The HexInput approach (and standard English layout) is public domain, and suitable for use with open-source software.

Can anyone tell me whether there is a process that emulates the keyboard to other processes, such that a single HexInput app could be made to work for any app that does text entry? Or is this something every text-editing app would have to have itself?

Thanks,
- Joe

Originally Posted by JoeStrout
Can anyone tell me whether there is a process that emulates the keyboard to other processes, such that a single HexInput app could be made to work for any app that does text entry?
I believe that text entry is centralized into a single component, but you can get authoritative answers from the maemo folks. There are mailing lists and a bug database where you could submit a request for enhancement.

Is see from your site that you've already developed a Palm version. The maemo development platform is free and open, so if you're inclined you can set it up and start hacking away even before you get your device.

"Disclaimer: I don't have a 770 yet, but I want one!" and while we are all waiting for the delivery ... you have some time to port it

Posts: 148 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Stimutax, AZ
IIRC, the keyboard app is Nokia's own code and not released under GPL. Again IIRC, someone on the maemo-dev list said that the app may become open sourced of some flavor in the future.

(BTW - IIRC = if i recall correctly)

Posts: 772 | Thanked: 183 times | Joined on Jul 2005 @ Montclair, NJ (NYC suburbs)
When I started reading your webpage, I was already dismissing the idea. By the time I finished the page, I thought "I can't wait to try this out." What a really smart way to take advantage of a computer's ability to follow what you're doing, and to redesign the way letters are laid out.

I hope you get this ported soon. Best of luck!

Roger

PS: I thought hexinput meant using hexadecimal numbers when I saw the title of the thread. Maybe this will redefine what people think when they hear the hex- prefix.

Originally Posted by gultig
IIRC, the keyboard app is Nokia's own code and not released under GPL.
Not strictly true. The handwriting recognition engine is closed, but the keyboard is open. A later post in the same thread suggests that writing a new input method shouldn't be that big a deal, but to my knowledge nobody has done it yet. It also confirms that new input methods become available to all the apps on the system, apps don't need to have explicit support for a new method.

Originally Posted by mikelococo
I see from your site that you've already developed a Palm version. The maemo development platform is free and open, so if you're inclined you can set it up and start hacking away even before you get your device.
I only developed a prototype for the Palm; I never found enough time to make a full app (nor could I find a way of hooking it into the system keyboard functionality).

If I do get a 770, I'll certainly give it a try, perhaps with some help from more experienced maemo developers... but I can't start now, as I don't have a linux box to run the maemo tools on (and it doesn't look like they'll run on OS X).

Still, I appreciate all the feedback -- you guys are a credit to the community.

Posts: 772 | Thanked: 183 times | Joined on Jul 2005 @ Montclair, NJ (NYC suburbs)
You can develop even without a Linux box.

You can get Microsoft Virtual PC for a 45-day trial and use the Maemo LiveCD to run Linux. You can find some information about this at topicalweb.com/making-ebooks (which is about more than getting Maemo working).

Posts: 148 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Stimutax, AZ
Originally Posted by mikelococo
Not strictly true. The handwriting recognition engine is closed, but the keyboard is open. A later post in the same thread suggests that writing a new input method shouldn't be that big a deal, but to my knowledge nobody has done it yet. It also confirms that new input methods become available to all the apps on the system, apps don't need to have explicit support for a new method.
Just posted today.

Originally Posted by Jakub Pavelek (Nokia) on the maemo-users list
Hi,

The VKB is not open in the current SW edition (IT-2005). You could go replace the current input method with yours (need root access).

Or, alternatively, lobby for the Input Method getting open in the next year's SW edition and do it properly there.) Maybe I should run a petition on this ;-)

Br,

--jakub

Posts: 1,361 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Toronto, Ontario, Canada
This is fascinating. I was staring at the sample layout and going through the motions in my head - - after a little getting used to it'd be incredible.

I also fell for the standard 'hex' meaning. I was wondering why writing 0x77 would seem more efficient.