Notices

Posts: 339 | Thanked: 1,623 times | Joined on Oct 2013 @ France
Hello MartinK,

I am translating to French the documentation about the OSM Scout Server.
While taking the screenshots for modRana, I found out that the text is in English while my device is configured in French.
I can't find any translation files in the Github repo, neither mentions of translation at all on the website or google.

Did I understand correctly that modRana isn't translated to any other languages ?

I have personally no problems with english, but as I am translating some other apps to french as possible to help my fellow french speaking only people, I though I could propose my help here too.

Please let me know if I understood right and you need some help !

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Zeta For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by sixwheeledbeast View Post
I have been seeing a lot of activity on github for this project lately, this is great.
However, I noticed no new packages for Maemo in a while. I assumed maybe you where working on getting the QT5 version upto the same standard as GTK. I recall you mentioning this a while back.
Yeah, that's true - it really is high time to finally correct the feature parity (most recently in regards to exposing the local POI databse in the Qt 5 GUI).

Reading the thread back you are no longer setup for local building of the package so haven't pushed packages to the autobuilder.
Yeah, I'm not really setup for making Maemo compatible packages locally, but should still be able to make source packages the autobuilder should be able to accept. As for development/debugging, my N900 thankfully still works, so I can use it for testing if modRana still works on the N900 (just have to actually get to that though).

Is there anyway the community can help get these releases to Maemo?
As before the best way is to help with testing on the N900, so I can concentrate more on development & finally releasing a proper new package for the N900.

As there has been quite a lot of changes since the latest release in Jully, I'd recommend just using the lates code from the master branch:

https://github.com/M4rtinK/modrana/archive/master.zip

As before, just unpack it on your N900 and run modrana.py from the unpacked folder in terminal. And report anything that seem broken on the N900.

I propose that if there are no major issues with 0.53.1 over 0.43.4, I don't recall any, that the current version is promoted to Extras (promotion is unlocked). That way going forward you could release to Extras-Devel with minimal testing.
Yep, that sounds like a good plan - but - looks like things are broken, as I've apparently already unlocked the promotion back in 2016:

http://maemo.org/packages/package_in...odrana/0.53.1/

Notice the "log" on the bottom of the page:

Code:
Package promoted	Martin Kolman	2016-08-06 20:46 UTC
So looks like things are apparently broken on the infra side and the package did not go to Extras even after it has been promoted (for more than a year). Any idea who should we ask from the infra to take a look at this ?

That repo is for development builds after all, we should be using it for it's intended purpose.

I am not sure if there is much to benefit from the current build over the ones I have (0.53.1), but assume it's still the same as before that I can download the latest tarball and run it directly for both desktop and N900?
Yep, that should always work. This is actually not a side effect, but planned behavior - I've always structured modRana (any my other project) so that they can just be cloned from git/unpacked from an archive and run at once. Turns out this decision pays of yet again in this case.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Zeta View Post
Hello MartinK,

I am translating to French the documentation about the OSM Scout Server.
While taking the screenshots for modRana, I found out that the text is in English while my device is configured in French.
I can't find any translation files in the Github repo, neither mentions of translation at all on the website or google.

Did I understand correctly that modRana isn't translated to any other languages ?
That's unfortunately correct - modRana is currently not translated to any other language, an most importantly, not really translatable - eq. the translation support code/tooling is just not there yet.

This is compounded by that some of the strings come from the sizeable Python core, so it's not just about translation support in QML (which is pretty easy to do - basically just call qsTr() and you are done), but also supporting translation in the Python code, if we want to enable full coverage. That's making things a bit more complicated.

On the other hand, I'm thinking just enabling translations for the QML code should be rather easy and could already improve things quite a bit. So I'll try to take a look into that first, hopefully soon.

Originally Posted by Zeta View Post
I have personally no problems with english, but as I am translating some other apps to french as possible to help my fellow french speaking only people, I though I could propose my help here too.

Please let me know if I understood right and you need some help !
I've opened an issue for modRana l10n support:
https://github.com/M4rtinK/modrana/issues/213
Feel free to subscribe to it for easy tracking of my progress in this area.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,290 | Thanked: 4,133 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ UK
Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
Yep, that sounds like a good plan - but - looks like things are broken, as I've apparently already unlocked the promotion back in 2016:

Notice the "log" on the bottom of the page:

Code:
Package promoted	Martin Kolman	2016-08-06 20:46 UTC
So looks like things are apparently broken on the infra side and the package did not go to Extras even after it has been promoted (for more than a year). Any idea who should we ask from the infra to take a look at this ?
Just checked out the the package status.
While the infra can be ... difficult, nothing seems to be wrong with the promotion of your package.
It would appear you have promoted it from Development to Testing and that has been successful on 2016-08-06 20:46 UTC, the QA has been completed and it is awaiting promotion from Testing to Extras.

You will have to select the Testing version of the package to view the promotion button.

Any queries let me know. (TMO, IRC whichever)

If this is successful releasing the latest packages to Devel would be great, I can provide any bugs or feedback here or on github as I have done before.

If I get time in the meanwhile I may look at pulling the latest version and installing it manually on desktop and N900. However, it would be nice from a tester prospective to tie an issue with a version number. Especially if you need a broken function working again for a task you need to do.

Wiki Admin
sixwheeledbeast's wiki
Testing Squad Subscriber
- mcallerx - tenminutecore - FlopSwap - Qnotted - zzztop - Bander - Fight2048 -

Before posting or starting a thread please try this.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sixwheeledbeast For This Useful Post:
Posts: 339 | Thanked: 1,623 times | Joined on Oct 2013 @ France
Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
I've opened an issue for modRana l10n support:
https://github.com/M4rtinK/modrana/issues/213
Feel free to subscribe to it for easy tracking of my progress in this area.
Done.
Thanks for the details !

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zeta For This Useful Post:
Just checked out the the package status.
While the infra can be ... difficult, nothing seems to be wrong with the promotion of your package.
It would appear you have promoted it from Development to Testing and that has been successful on 2016-08-06 20:46 UTC, the QA has been completed and it is awaiting promotion from Testing to Extras.

You will have to select the Testing version of the package to view the promotion button.
Oh, right - there is also the Testing repository. So went there, clicked the promotion link as well and it seems to have worked - all repositories now have 0.53.1:

http://maemo.org/packages/view/modrana/

Any queries let me know. (TMO, IRC whichever)

If this is successful releasing the latest packages to Devel would be great, I can provide any bugs or feedback here or on github as I have done before.

If I get time in the meanwhile I may look at pulling the latest version and installing it manually on desktop and N900. However, it would be nice from a tester prospective to tie an issue with a version number. Especially if you need a broken function working again for a task you need to do.
If you don't hit any major bugs with the current I'm inclined to just cutting a new version and releasing it to Extras Devel - we can iron out any further issues after that.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Hi folks

Need a hand here. The one really gaping hole in my SFOS N4 device is the lack of working "turn-by-turn" navigation app (replacement for Google Maps app). I've read over and over that modRana supports "turn-by-turn" navigation (I presume that's GPS driven) but I cannot for the life of me figure out even how to find my current location using the app.

Could someone please point me in the direction of a guide or something that could help me to
1) use modRana and GPS to determine my current location
2) produce a route from that current location to a different location
3) navigate in real time

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Jon

Ok so I have had a few minutes to pull the latest master on to my device. It starts up as you expect with default settings, however I have no access to any maps. Just Loading and Downloading tiles are displayed.

Every map you select throws the error that the server returned no image file and that the "server must not like you"

The only thing I can think of my side would be it's installed and run via terminal straight from the uSD card, which may affect tile storage?

Wiki Admin
sixwheeledbeast's wiki
Testing Squad Subscriber

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sixwheeledbeast For This Useful Post:
Posts: 391 | Thanked: 908 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ suncity
Ok so I have had a few minutes to pull the latest master on to my device. It starts up as you expect with default settings, however I have no access to any maps. Just Loading and Downloading tiles are displayed.

Every map you select throws the error that the server returned no image file and that the "server must not like you"

The only thing I can think of my side would be it's installed and run via terminal straight from the uSD card, which may affect tile storage?
I have 0.54.8 on my n900 and it is working fine. What device are you using...?
As far as I know tile storage is defined in ~/.modrana on n900 so it doesn't matter where you are running modrana.py.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to justmemory For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by justmemory View Post
I have 0.54.8 on my n900 and it is working fine. What device are you using...?
As far as I know tile storage is defined in ~/.modrana on n900 so it doesn't matter where you are running modrana.py.
N900. Well there is only 0.53.1 available in the repos so I assume you have that installed from github or the like manually?

I am now having exactly the same issue with the installed version so the newer version has obviously affected the settings somehow.

I think I will try removing everything and starting fresh with the master version.

Wiki Admin
sixwheeledbeast's wiki
Testing Squad Subscriber

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sixwheeledbeast For This Useful Post:

Tags
bada rox, martin_rocks, modrana, navigation, openstreetmap, the best, wehasgps