Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Sean Luke has an "interesting" review of ITOS2008 up here. It's not a particularly praising one, and he only tackles the user interface part of it.

For some reason -- which I'm sure is purely coincidental -- he also can no longer post on ITT. Keeping fingers crossed that I'm getting through...

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Karel Jansens For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
... GTK, an amateurish GUI toolkit which has fixed, poorly conceived sizes.
People without a clue shouldn't publish articles.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pycage For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by pycage View Post
People without a clue shouldn't publish articles.
People who wouldn't know a good UI if it hit them in the head with a bat, shouldn't criticize other people.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Karel Jansens For This Useful Post:
The review is just aggressive Garbage.
There are many wrong things.

He is just a troll. Ignore him.

Originally Posted by kotzkind View Post
The review is just aggressive Garbage.
There are many wrong things.

He is just a troll. Ignore him.
No.
Name them. [*]

No. And feel free to.

____
[*] I've found only one factual error (and it's more of an omission): Sean mentions the movable applets as a positive thing, but overlooks Nokia's genius decision of not providing a locking procedure for the applets.

"Genius" is sarcasm.

Posts: 79 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ England
The guy who wrote that review is obviously ******ed

Originally Posted by Karel Jansens View Post
Sean Luke has an "interesting" review of ITOS2008 up here. It's not a particularly praising one, and he only tackles the user interface part of it.
Well, I don't agree with him on finger-friendly menus (I prefer the small OS2007 ones, with the ability to detect finger presses vs. stylus presses) but most of the rest is spot-on. And he actually missed stuff, like:

* The capslock key is gone. Wow. I just can't imagine the thought process behind this one.
* Dictionary word completion just doesn't seem to work as well as on OS2007.
* osso-xterm no longer has dictionary completion, just tab completion.
* osso-xterm no longer saves your toolbar preferences. If you turn off toolbars, exit and restart it, toolbars are right there again.
* osso-xterm no longer has a menu item to send an arbitrary control character.

And that's just GUI problems. Don't get me started on the bugs and crashes.

Originally Posted by Karel Jansens View Post
For some reason -- which I'm sure is purely coincidental -- he also can no longer post on ITT.
Now that's sad...

Why the review is garbage?
There are some good points, but he wants everything!

On the One hand he wants everything totally finger-friedly on the other hand he wants enormous functionality on the screen.

OS2008 still requires that applications take up the entire window. No applications may float over others.
How can you Implement that finger friendly?

He just looks for things he can critizise. Why would somenone need his device to sleep for weeks? Locking keys and turning off screen is energy saving enough

In all fairness I think he went out of his way to try and identify the things the he felt were improved in the new OS.

The IT is not a PDA. Many of us knew that before we bought one. I'm pretty happy with it. While it would be nice to have the functionality of my OMP and Palms, I realize it just doesn't have that and I'm not expecting it to anytime soon. However his observations are valid and he's not the only person making them by what I read daily here on ITT. People want different things. I think the IT has the potential to be them all but I don't necessarily agree that it's up to Nokia to make it so. I'm amazed at what the community here produces for this product. I expect nothing and am blown away by what is available.

-grantbob

The Following User Says Thank You to grantbob For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
There's not too much that I disagree with in his review; there's always been room for improvement in the platform.

To blindly follow/agree would mean the propagation of a flawed platform... much like Windows.