Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
No, i don't mean that GTK+ interfaces are unusable, however they have some limitations that make them quite hard to get how you want them. Styling widgets for one. Transparency is another.

Well, my N800 is right now insisting that its keyboard is extended, and refuses to pop up the virtual keyboard. I found the fix, but I'm just tired of the whole thing and going back to Bora/OS2007 as soon as I get home tonight.

This meant I couldn't search for a password I needed in the server room. I can't have the device randomly going out to lunch like this, when I'm depending on it.

I want cut'n'paste back for gtk.CellRendererText, or at least a usuable workaround. There's also bugs with the "Edited" signal, meaning you can lose the data you just typed in.

I also discovered today that it's no longer smart enough to keep the ListView row in view when it pops up the keyboard, so you end up typing in the blind. Nice.

I'm probably never upgrading the OS on it again, unless the forum just absolutely falls all over itself saying how wonderful it is... or I get a 2nd crash-n-burn device from somewhere for free.

Originally Posted by gene.cash View Post
... or I get a 2nd crash-n-burn device from somewhere for free.
Boot from SD? That's what I do.

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by gene.cash View Post
I'm probably never upgrading the OS on it again, unless the forum just absolutely falls all over itself saying how wonderful it is... or I get a 2nd crash-n-burn device from somewhere for free.
I'm still baffled why you removed your Palm-alike apps from your website. Revenge?

Originally Posted by Karel Jansens View Post
I'm still baffled why you removed your Palm-alike apps from your website. Revenge?
No, actually, I was reorging my repository and trying to figure out how to support different versions for the different OSes w/o cluttering things up with tons of links. Then I got sidetracked with all the bugfixes and forgot it was down. I guess I'll just go back to the original way I did it.

I guess I should confess actually I lost the source to the original page too, and I had to retrieve it from Google cache. Yup, that red thing is my face, it is...

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
However it's done, supporting two modes simply costs more money. This means something else won't be done in supporting a dual-mode UI. Therefore, I support a wholly finger-based UI - it just needs to be much better implemented :-)
Didn't it cost more money to REMOVE them if it was already there?

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
You think adding a few #ifdefs costs more than testing an extra feature, particularly one dependent on pressure calibration, which varies by device?

The Following User Says Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by salomc View Post
Why not both methods? I want to right click combining a hardware button press with touch when I'm holding the NIT with left hand and touching the screen with right hand. That would be much more practical IMO. One doesn't exclude the other.
I'm already holding the tablet with my left hand, since that's where the directional and other buttons are located, and my forefinger lays across the top. If there were a shift-like function button along the top the way we already have +, - and maximize buttons that could be pressed while tapping to get right-clicks, that would seem convenient. Maybe the already existing trio of keys up there could be used that way if you tap WHILE you're pressing one of them (not tappnig lets them behave as normal)?

The other thing that I keep wishing for is a scroll wheel. If there were an Intellimouse style scroll wheel on that vast and unused right side of the screen--that would be VERY convenient for those times when I'm reading down a web page, RSS feeds or eBooks (where I'd probably not have the stylus out anyway).

Originally Posted by Benson View Post
You think adding a few #ifdefs costs more than testing an extra feature, particularly one dependent on pressure calibration, which varies by device?
Which brings up another thought. Why isn't there a pressure calibration in the touchscreen calibration tool? That would solve that problem too.. so they can just pump out the devices instruct users (upon first boot) to use the stylus to touch these points to calibrate the touch screen... then, when done, also press a couple of boxes in the middle of the screen to calibrate the pressure for finger use?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:

Tags
stuff nokia should read, user interface, whining