Posts: 18 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Boston
Originally Posted by mscion View Post
Was wondering. While you didn't get the presidential alert, do you get Amber alerts? For those that do not know, it is used in all 50 states of US to alert folks about possible abduction of children. Maybe something equivalent in Europe and elsewhere?
No to amber alerts too. When I did have an android device it was something that i could turn off or on, I dont see those options in Sailfish

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to marxistvegan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 31 | Thanked: 91 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ Greater Chicagoland area
No, none of us in my family have received any alerts - no Amber alerts, no weather alerts, no regional emergency alerts. The only "alert" I ever get is when it's time to pay my T-Mobile bill. I'm sure *that* one will *always* come through.

I can understand how some people could use those alerts and perhaps raising this question here will help someone at Jolla to fix this. I didn't think this was a U.S.-only thing, but perhaps it's another "Group MMS" issue that the rest of the world handles a different way?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RasLikesN9 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 31 | Thanked: 91 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ Greater Chicagoland area
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Trumps Twitter or what does he broadcast on the channel? I think it’s more likely to get a message from Putin. Sailfish is Russian and not independent.
It was the first test of an emergency broadcast that the President would feel everyone would need to know immediately. On the local news they said it would be for things like notification of a nuclear attack or something, because otherwise the notices would be more localized for things like floods, as someone mentioned above.

While I'm replying to a message of yours for the first time, I must say that I often get a chuckle from your location. Every time I read that quote, I don't know if it's from somewhere else, but I hear it from the Robot Chicken Star Wars rap from years ago and the next thing I say in my head is, "I'll blow your planet up!" That would also be a reason for the presidential emergency text message.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RasLikesN9 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by peterleinchen View Post
Are these messages not just plain old 'cell broadcast' messages?
Symbian and Nokias S40 had that (also my Siemens) but it was not really used/supported by German providers...

see the link from wolke in other thread
Well, yes, they are SMS messages, but they are routed in carrier networks thru dedicated network, to allow overriding for example Prsidential alerts to be recieved no matter whatever setting user have applied. So, the device MUST utilize support for CMAS. Looking at ofono sources, this have been a TODO item since 2010. With certain patches for a number of modems. Not sure about Qualcom modem state there.

An example

https://www.mail-archive.com/ofono@o.../msg17721.html

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to nieldk For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by peterleinchen View Post
So the question is:
what 'important' text did you miss?
According to the picture attached to this article, it just said "THIS IS A TEST of the National Wireless Emergency Alert System. No action is needed", so nothing particularly interesting.

It seems like 'presidential alert' is not actually the official name, and so it's probably more innocent than it sounds at first. I'm sure whoever invented it had nothing but the best intentions, still, I wonder who gets to decide what gets sent and when (according to the linked article: "the law also states that users cannot opt out of the presidential alerts, which are issued at the direction of the president — or someone he designates, or both — and executed by the Federal Emergency Management Agency"). What better way could there be to spread propaganda than through a message that all citizens of the country must read? And what could ever be so important that all citizens of a country that spans nearly ten million km² must know about it at once?

Edit: Honestly, the only thing I can think of is an all-out attack by evil Plutonians.

Last edited by nthn; 2018-10-05 at 12:18.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nthn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 300 | Thanked: 962 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ USA
The Presidential alert SMS system was devised under Obama. I think it's a good thing to have for national alerts, in the event of disaster or BOLO (in the case of someone sending ricin to the SecDef a few days ago). It might've been designed as a propaganda tool, but I doubt that's what it'll be used as under the current administration. After all, CNN et al are just CIA mouthpieces (Operation Mockingbird), so they've got the propaganda thing handled pretty well already .

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to deprecated For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
I dunno... Not being able to get warnings about, abducted children, tornados, hurricanes, tsunamis, nuclears attacks or Presidential alerts for any reason on device with Sailfish OS worries me. Makes me wonder if there is some conspiracy or collusion going on...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
I see absolutely no reason to implement this. Sailfish is not for US anyway.

Overseas Alert

THIS IS A TEST of the Fort Knox Emergency Alert System. You may remain in Vault until November.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2018-10-05 at 20:08.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
I see absolutely no reason to implement this. Sailfish is not for US anyway.

Overseas Alert

THIS IS A TEST of the Fort Knox Emergency Alert System. You may remain in Vault until November.
Yes. Good point. Well, I'm just using taobao (possibly yours) tablet anyways.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by mscion View Post
Yes. Good point. Well, I'm just using taobao (possibly yours) tablet anyways.
Half of mine since I got half of the refund back! And donated 1/4 to jolla to help me refund someone else

But how do you plan to get the oversees Alert on the tablet?

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post: