Posts: 150 | Thanked: 222 times | Joined on Aug 2017 @ Spain
Hello! I am a happy new user of a Jolla 1 The First One. It is my first Jolla after a long time reading about Sailfish (I had an Xperia).

I need to know many things! I have some questions:

1. Can I make a complete copy of the first version of the system? Mi Jolla has a very old Sailfish and I do not want to lose it when I update the phone.

2. If I restore the factory settings of the phone, will I have the first version of the system even if I have updated the phone to the latest version?

3. Are there unofficial versions of Sailfish for Jolla 1? I'm interested in ROMs, modifications, etc. I've been on Android for many years.

4. What modifications can be made to the system? Root, bootloader, etc.

5. What are the programs available to modify or update the mobile from the computer?

---
Spanish:

Hola! Soy un feliz nuevo usuario de un Jolla 1 The First One. Es mi primer Jolla después de mucho tiempo leyendo sobre Sailfish (tuve un Xperia).

Necesito saber muchas cosas! Tengo algunas preguntas:

1. ¿Puedo realizar una copia completa de la primera versión del sistema? Mi Jolla tiene un Sailfish muy antiguo y no quiero perderlo cuando yo actualice el teléfono.

2. Si restauro los valores de fábrica del teléfono, ¿volveré a tener la primera versión del sistema aunque haya actualizado el teléfono a la última versión?

3. ¿Hay versiones no oficiales de Sailfish para el Jolla 1? Estoy interesado en ROMs, modificaciones, etc. Llevo muchos años en Android.

4. ¿Qué modificaciones se le puede hacer al sistema? Root, bootloader, etc.

5. ¿Cuáles son los programas que hay disponibles para modificar o actualizar el móvil desde el ordenador?

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kalatti For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by Kalatti View Post
1. Can I make a complete copy of the first version of the system? Mi Jolla has a very old Sailfish and I do not want to lose it when I update the phone.
Of course.
Just like with anything in linux you have many ways to accomplish what you want to do; to get a bit-by-bit accurate backup of your partitions you can use dd, however tar or rsync should be enough to backup the system.

2. If I restore the factory settings of the phone, will I have the first version of the system even if I have updated the phone to the latest version?
Up to a point, yes.
If you send your device for repair, then they might set up the baseline of your device to some later OS version.

3. Are there unofficial versions of Sailfish for Jolla 1? I'm interested in ROMs, modifications, etc. I've been on Android for many years.
There are lots of patches, but I don't think there are "unofficial versions" of SFOS. Alternative OS'es, yes; you can install Nemomobile/Glacier to it I think.

4. What modifications can be made to the system? Root, bootloader, etc.
Everything can be modified.

5. What are the programs available to modify or update the mobile from the computer?
ssh client is sufficent

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 150 | Thanked: 222 times | Joined on Aug 2017 @ Spain
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Of course.
Just like with anything in linux you have many ways to accomplish what you want to do; to get a bit-by-bit accurate backup of your partitions you can use dd, however tar or rsync should be enough to backup the system.

Up to a point, yes.
If you send your device for repair, then they might set up the baseline of your device to some later OS version.

There are lots of patches, but I don't think there are "unofficial versions" of SFOS. Alternative OS'es, yes; you can install Nemomobile/Glacier to it I think.

Everything can be modified.

ssh client is sufficent
Thank you very much, mate. It shows that you have a lot of experience! In this I lose myself a little:

1. Use dd, tar or rsync. How is it used?

2. How can I install Nemomobile / Glacier?

3. What is the difference between Nemomobile / Glacier and Sailfish?

4. Can I install the patches without formatting the phone?

5. Are there other programs to play with Jolla (besides ssh)?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kalatti For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Thank you very much, mate. It shows that you have a lot of experience! In this I lose myself a little:
OK, there seems to be lots to learn for you, which is good

1. Use dd, tar or rsync. How is it used?
dd is an utility to create filedumps, you can use it to copy a partition or whole disk to a sdcard for example.
tar is a backup utility that will pack the files on a directory structure to an archive, the result will be smaller than a whole partition dump with dd but contain the logical structure in the archive. When expanding it the result is not a bit-by-bit copy of the *physical* partition layout but in most saes it does not matter.
rsync is an utility to make backup over network, I use it to copy the content of my device to my cloudserver.
Usage of all these and more can be found on the net and relevant manpages.

2. How can I install Nemomobile / Glacier?
I would not recommend that to you now as I think you need to hone up your linux skills first a bit more

3. What is the difference between Nemomobile / Glacier and Sailfish?
It's a continuation of the work done in Nemo/Mer for some time... used to be an open alternative for Harmattan on N9 using the Mer codebase.

Of course, that's the whole point
You can even patch the system live, though many modifiations require a lipstick restart to become active.

By use of ssh I mean it is all that is really required for connection. I think there are also some guithingies but I don't really know as I dont't use that kind of stuff.

As for creating applications you need the development framework for SFOS, maybe you meant that?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 339 | Thanked: 1,623 times | Joined on Oct 2013 @ France
The usual caveat : everything can be modified (being root only needs to check in the "developer" mode in the parameters, nothing fancy to do!), so everything can be broken in some way.

So when you are doing something tricky (like dd commands on filesystems, or patching some important things like the homescreen), double check your commands, backup before, and try to keep a plan B ready (like wifi enabled with SSH actived, to be able to restore things from a computer if the display doesn't get responsive after a change). If something is broken, usually a factory reset is enough to get it back on track.

For "normal" things, like applying well known patches from the community, there is usually no problem, but backuping your important files (if any) before is always safer.

Happy hacking !

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Zeta For This Useful Post:
Take a look for the thread "patchmanager" on this forum.
It can be downloaded from OpenRepos, which is an unofficial application repository (aka "store" in the rest of the world), where most of the applications done by the community are pushed, to be faster than the official Jolla store and overcome some of its limitations.
There are graphical applications to use OpenRepos from the Jolla which are "StoreMan" and "WareHouse" (not sure this last one was updated, it broke some versions of Sailfish ago IIRC).
Then patches can be added from several sources and applied through the application PatchManager.

It depends on what you intend to do.
SSH is the basic interface to have a command line access to the phone from a PC through USB or the network (Wifi).
Locally, you can also get command line access using the terminal application (shown when you activate the developer mode in the settings).
If you don't like command lines, there are some things that would not be as easy to do when hacking the phone, as there are not graphical user interfaces for all things.
If you only intend to use the phone as a smartphone, you should not need command lines, as applications and already done patches can easily be installed graphically.
Lastly, if you want to develop apps for it, the Sailfish SDK is the tool to develop Qt/C++/QML apps from a computer and debug it. Other kind of apps can also be developped depending your prefered languages, like python, that can be done on device or also remotely (with or without the SDK).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zeta For This Useful Post:
Posts: 72 | Thanked: 194 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Norway
Login with ssh command from another computer is normally easier than using the terminal on the phone itself (bigger screen and proper keyboard). I normally turn off remote connection when I do not need to login.

Some minimalists like the default vi/vim editor, I prefer emacs editor from Storeman/Warehouse, other alternatives also exist for editing files, often an idea to take a backup before you change.

To copy files to/from phone you can use sftp command or a sftp tool on your computer.

The File Browser app can be handy on the phone.

Communication through USB connection is for Jolla a more tricky than WiFi.

Generelly a phone which is fun to check out and learn from.

Of smaller changes one can do is e.g;
- changing blue tooth config so handless is not alllowed to trigger unwanted a (re)call if butten is too easy to hit
- setting up a softlink so gpodder download files to SD card.
- added ssh keys for password less login (same way as on linux machines) using ~/.ssh folder
- write some scripts for run some frequent needed tasks
- install some compilers

The Following User Says Thank You to hhbbap For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by hhbbap View Post
Communication through USB connection is for Jolla a more tricky than WiFi.
Did I miss something ?

1) plug PC USB to phone
2) in the popup on the phone, click "Developer mode" (other choices are "MTP" and "Charge Only", this may need to set in the settings to ask each time it is plugged)
3) ssh nemo@192.168.2.15
4) Profit

Tested 10 seconds ago with my Jolla.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zeta For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by Zeta View Post
Did I miss something ?
Possibly Depending on what OS you run on the PC, you may need some extra steps on the PC side. For example on Windows you need to install the RNDIS driver.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 433 | Thanked: 727 times | Joined on Oct 2012 @ Costa Blanca, España
My 2 penneth;

Regarding previous comments about editors, as stated, Vim is the default editor, for me personally, I prefer Nano;

Code:
devel-su pkcon install nano
Regards,

The Following User Says Thank You to Markkyboy For This Useful Post: