Title says it all, anyone knows if Jolla are planning to have open wifi drivers for injection etc, or are we supposed to "community-hire" a talented fella to reverse engineer the wifi driver and get bleeding-edge again? I'd heavily support using the same wifi chip/antenna as in N900, it gets better reception than many laptops/tablets and at least that part would be already done. (and seeing how there were at least two businesses that sold N900 + some wep/wpa cracking programs and bleeding edge driver installed as "handhelf pentesting device" for 600$+, ok, they offered support supposedly, so not only N900+flashed pentesting image with scripts, this might be another selling point for Jolla)

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by szopin View Post
Title says it all, anyone knows if Jolla are planning to have open wifi drivers for injection etc, or are we supposed to "community-hire" a talented fella to reverse engineer the wifi driver and get bleeding-edge again? I'd heavily support using the same wifi chip/antenna as in N900, it gets better reception than many laptops/tablets and at least that part would be already done. (and seeing how there were at least two businesses that sold N900 + some wep/wpa cracking programs and bleeding edge driver installed as "handhelf pentesting device" for 600$+, ok, they offered support supposedly, so not only N900+flashed pentesting image with scripts, this might be another selling point for Jolla)
Are we sure it even has Wifi?

So far we're not even sure it has a power button (queue in: WP is better because it has one, Jolla tell us more about the powerbutton, everyone here is idiots for preordering a device without a confirmed power button, how can one shell out 0$ for a preorder if it won't start). But seriously though, N900 was loved by many thanks to pentesting capabilities (my Morrocco trip was 0$ on internet as 90% of routers there are still wep by default, 5 minutes in a cafe is all you need to check email), sure we can shell some money to get revenged driver, if they showed their openness with similar, insta love by many (then again might be unlawful in some countries like fmtx by default...)

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by szopin View Post
So far we're not even sure it has a power button (queue in: WP is better because it has one, Jolla tell us more about the powerbutton, everyone here is idiots for preordering a device without a confirmed power button, how can one shell out 0$ for a preorder if it won't start). But seriously though, N900 was loved by many thanks to pentesting capabilities (my Morrocco trip was 0$ on internet as 90% of routers there are still wep by default, 5 minutes in a cafe is all you need to check email), sure we can shell some money to get revenged driver, if they showed their openness with similar, insta love by many (then again might be unlawful in some countries like fmtx by default...)
No need for a powerbutton.

Posts: 1,236 | Thanked: 1,278 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Balochistan
Wow. There even not much details available about the device yet and we are having a thread about open drivers. My friend lets first wait for the device. And since Jolla device announcement almost all active topics are about them. And TMO is filled with jolla threads.

The Following User Says Thank You to panjgoori For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by panjgoori View Post
Wow. There even not much details available about the device yet and we are having a thread about open drivers. My friend lets first wait for the device. And since Jolla device announcement almost all active topics are about them. And TMO is filled with jolla threads.
I have set myself into waiting mode, which doesn't mean we can't suggest (by questions) and remind some attributes that made N900 awesome. I am not trying to do another: no XYZ, this sucks, Jolla you need to bring this or I won't preorder/buy thread. I am just reminding the few Jolla guys who visit TMO, that one of the highlights that made N900 great/special was pentesting capabilities. I do believe out-of-the-box functionality like this is illegal in some countries, as it would be too coincidental for no other phone than N900 to bring this functionality (and even with N900 it was after unofficial reverse engineering of the driver effort). Still, netsec is a rather fresh field that is growing quite fast, being THE phone for these guys is another growing group of hard-core fans if it delivers.

Administrator | Posts: 1,036 | Thanked: 2,019 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Germany
If you really feel the need to talk about something no one has any info about within the next 5 month... do it in the right subforum, at least!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chemist For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by chemist View Post
If you really feel the need to talk about something no one has any info about within the next 5 month... do it in the right subforum, at least!
Thanks and sorry, which forum that woudl be?