Active Topics

Notices

It was one of my favorite apps. I don't suppose anyone has found a working version anywhere for OS 2008? It is sorely missed.

Last edited by cashel; 2008-02-16 at 15:39.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cashel For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by cashel View Post
It was one of my favorite apps. I don't suppose anyone has found a working version anywhere for OS 2008? It is sorely missed.
We're all waiting for it....

Posts: 466 | Thanked: 142 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Temple Terrorist, FL
I finally received my N800 from TigerDirect today and got OS 2008 installed after charging it up. I bought this N800 mainly as an eBook reader. Now I find out Evince hasn't been ported yet. Maybe I'll downgrade back to OS 2007 if it's going to be awhile for Evince to be ported.

Posts: 334 | Thanked: 55 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Eastern Ontario, Canada
The built-in pdf reader is better than in OS2007, at least you can turn pages with your fingers. Try it.

Posts: 466 | Thanked: 142 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Temple Terrorist, FL
I've tried it, and it isn't that bad. And I tried the FBReader for CHMs, which seems possibly buggy.

I'm used to using an Axim X5 which couldn't read PDF well (unless tagged), but CHM eBooks were ok, just that the screen was too small for either.

I also have some DJVU files, so Evince sounds like a great all-in-one eBook reader.

Don't get me wrong, I've been very excited using this N800 today! But not having Evince is a (temporary?) let down.

I wish there was a way to image everything currently setup under OS 2008 on my N800 so I could install OS 2007, then later restore the OS 2008 image if I find OS 2007 not so good.

Posts: 82 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ New Mexico, USA
Evince for OS2008, or the terrorists win.

I manage to build latest evince 2.21.1 and run it on my 810 yesterday. It worked for me somehow, but the build is far from perfect. It's not hildonized at all and it has some other issues but it can show djvu, comic books, tiffs just fine.
I'm thinking about to create project for it on garage, so everybody who wants to help is welcome.

If you know someone who is already working on evince for OS2008 please let me know.

Thanks.

Posts: 739 | Thanked: 159 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Germany - Munich
I am since yesterday evening but dependency handling are made for bora. If you want to play with a hildonized version, you'll have to port the bora version, it's already done.

Add a deb-src bora line to sources.list
apt-get source evince
and try to build it. I've failed on 1 dep and stopped without searching.

This package was done by somebody at Nokia. The quality is very good, maybe it's better to wait for his upgrade. If he doesn't plan to do it, then yes, we'll have to. We have contacted him.

I've seen evince build for bora and decided not to stick with it, but try to port newer version.
I'm going to get hildonization from there though. As far as I can see there is nothing special there and it shouldn't be very difficult to ajust those changes for 2.21.1

SDHC + .djvu + evince = portable library!

I'm really eager to be able to view .djvu files in OS2008...