Posts: 209 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Fishers, Indiana
Very nice device! Honestly, I really feel that the 770 satisfies the need for a "pocketable" device for checking email/web sites and other minor tasks. I wouldn't want something that weighed twice as much with a hard-drive to crash when I drop it.

I've been looking at the Pepper Pad 3 and have been very impressed. For $699 you get the same processor as the VEGA (533 MHz vs 500 MHz for the Vega), a 20GB HDD, 256MB, built-in bluetooth, wifi b/g, TV-out, a 640x480 camera (bleh), IR in/out, stereo speakers, USB 2.0 peripheral and HOST connections, and a 7.3-inch 800x480 touch screen. I really like the fact it has everything working with Linux (obviously), and that it has an integrated keyboard and scroller so you're not tapping away on the screen the whole time. With a screen that big you're also able to see things better as well. I watched a short video of it and it seems very snappy for web browsing and applications.

Oh, and since it has a x86-compatible CPU and uses X11/GTK you can be assured of easy compatibility. Firefox, Java, Flash, and so forth are all included out of the box. See http://www.pepper.com/platform/index.html for more info.

Anyway, enough fan-boy-ish praise. I'd prefer one of these to a laptop as it's not as heavy, has a longer-lasting battery, and is usable standing up. See http://www.pepper.com/products/pepper_pad3_spec.html for the full hardware specs.

Larry

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Does the PepperPad print?

Originally Posted by Odin
...What Nokia has done for $350 is nothing short of phenomenal.
I agree 100% with you. If we were in that other thread about that Nokia poll, I would argue that for its next tablet, Nokia should add all the hardware enhancements it can afford while keeping the same price point, but no more. The bulk of the effort should stay focused on software, decent BT support, and aftermarket accessories.

Pepper is too large for me (so are current UMPCs). The Vega is interesting in that out of the box it has 770-like battery life.

I think the HD objection is silly. Look at how many people carry iPods with HDs. That said, I wouldn't expect either device (V or i) to survive the 3 drops and one attempted theft like the 770 has!

I guess I must now trudge over to the poll thread. Seems it has doubled in size since my last access this morning. >unsheathing sword<

Very interesting to read this here...I made a little topic on this device on French Forum...
I found some interesting information too:

Here is a video from Vega with Virtua Cop 2 game:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRnMI...elated&search=

What is the French URL? (Waiting on YouTube vid conversion...)

Update: Just saw the vid. *jealous*

Last edited by Mike Cane; 2006-10-07 at 23:44.

http://www.ppccool.com/index.php?showtopic=4714

Bugger. Vid from 24 y.o. South Korean!

Yes, I find the game really playable for an UPPC with AMD Geode @ 500 MHz and supposed graphic ship optimized for 2D only.
Very promising little device.

It won't run iTunes, though...