Active Topics

Hi all,

Having owned my n800 for only a week and having zero experience with Linux......I have been researching video converters/players and am even more perplexed now than when I started.

I use a digital camera for videos of my kids school programs and such. Currently, I just put my sd card into my desktop pc (windows xp) and it plays the video on windows media player. I believe the file says its an MVI format? Anyway, I need to figure out how to convert these so that I can put them on Canola (or another media player if it will work better).

In addition to this I would like to be able to put videos on the tablet for watching with the kids when we travel. I dont know where to find these videos or how to convert them.

Please dont tell me to do a search, I have been a searching freak........but the info is extremely confusing for me. People offer so many suggestions that I am not sure what would work best for me. While I appreciate so many suggestions, after awhile "try this!" "try this one!" "this one is better!" gets rather confusing for a complete newbie that barely knows how to install apps.

My questions are.......for what I want to use it for (vids of the kids from digital camera sd card and movies to watch) what is the best media player for videos (I have Canola and mplayer installed) and the EASIEST converter for me to use? Also, is there a specific website to find videos, movies etc?

Thanks for your time,

Shannon

The Following User Says Thank You to weeshan For This Useful Post:
I have been trying the Internet Tablet Video Converter but it keeps getting stuck on the first movie I am trying to convert. maybe it will work well for you.

http://www.nokia.com/betalabs/videoconverter

Posts: 122 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ here and there
Originally Posted by Alvin View Post
I have been trying the Internet Tablet Video Converter but it keeps getting stuck on the first movie I am trying to convert. maybe it will work well for you.

http://www.nokia.com/betalabs/videoconverter

I tried it just to see if it was any better then the converters I use...Same thing happened to me. The n800 video converter and AutoGK never failed me.

Originally Posted by RioT View Post
I tried it just to see if it was any better then the converters I use...Same thing happened to me. The n800 video converter and AutoGK never failed me.
yup. Nokia N800 Video Convert works for me also
http://xoomer.alice.it/sepaolo/n800vc/

Posts: 574 | Thanked: 166 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ BC, Canada
Shannon, just one more detail. What make/model digital camera are you using? That will help nail down the format of the video captures that you want to convert.

My digital camera is only a few months old. Its a Canon Powershot SD1000 Elph

Shannon

Posts: 234 | Thanked: 40 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Cincinnati, Ohio USA
My Cannon Powershot A70 records AVI files. They are 320x240 88kbps, 8 bit PCM audio, 15fps 276kbps data rate. They arn't compatable with mplayer. I suspect it's the audio portion of the format. I haven't tried running them through the N800 video converter yet.

I have used the N800 video converter for mpg files from my tivo (plus a .tivo to mpg converter). I'm no video-audio-phile so I can't comment on quality aside from it doesn't hickup.

Last edited by TheGogmagog; 2007-12-13 at 19:05.

Posts: 234 | Thanked: 40 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Cincinnati, Ohio USA
Originally Posted by weeshan View Post
Please dont tell me to do a search, I have been a searching freak........but the info is extremely confusing for me.
You didn't come across the wiki did you? It might be scaring some people off since most of the info references the 770 even though the info is usually the same for the N800 and N810. In the case for video at least it is. When I get time I might update the headers.

Last edited by TheGogmagog; 2007-12-13 at 19:13.

Ive glanced at the wiki but yes.....the 770 reference was scaring me off.

Shannon