hmm. I don't think I was snarky! Maybe it came out that way! But I think my comment is true. All/most software developped needs some QA and ones that don't are pretty obvious.

I know its a beta. And as I said it does look very promising.

Anyway, I have started to list some bugs I am going to post on bugzilla. Currently there are zero bugs reported for modest so we should all start adding some...

This is wicked. I am so happy that, for the first time, I have a touch-able mail client on my tablet that can do IMAP folders.

Claws just wasn't even a real contender.

I wish Modest could be made the default, what is the level-of-effort required?

I wonder if Modest will support s/mime in the future? It doesn't appear to have a setting for it now, and sometimes I need to sign/encrypt email.

i've read that modest does NOT replace the built in up just yet, you have to start it yourself, so maybe you use the built in app instead of modest?

Originally Posted by Greyghost View Post
Well, I've just loaded Modest up for a try and it seems to have many of the same erm... 'features' as the previous app. FYI, here's what I've found:

First, After setting up the account, it download about 475 messages, all archived in Gmail, but this is of course nowhere close to the actual number of archived messages I have on Google's server.

Now, when I click 'refresh' I get two or three more archived messages each time, but so far (twenty minutes) it hasn't downloaded the test message I sent immediately...

Finally, deleting the downloaded headers, in spite of what the pop-up windows says, does not delete them from the server (which is good, because that's where I want to store them, not on my N810).

As I write this, it occurs to me, though, since it loaded up as the native app, how can I be sure I'm actually running Modest? There didn't seem to be an 'about' section....

Edit: I just check the application manager and it show it as installed, so perhaps it is indeed running...

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by Alvin View Post
All/most software developped needs some QA and ones that don't are pretty obvious.
I know its a beta. And as I said it does look very promising.
Do you really? Because if you actually knew it was a beta, you wouldn't be complaining about QA. Beta generally implies that there hasn't been QA, and that the software is not up to final quality. If you want final QA quality, wait for the final release. For now, complaining about the lack of QA is both unhelpful and inappropriate for a product in this release stage.

Originally Posted by emory View Post
I wish Modest could be made the default, what is the level-of-effort required?
Zero, once it reaches final release.

Last edited by GeneralAntilles; 2007-12-12 at 17:46.

Posts: 696 | Thanked: 1,012 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Asturies, Spain
hmm. I don't think I was snarky! Maybe it came out that way! But I think my comment is true. All/most software developped needs some QA and ones that don't are pretty obvious.
I have used Modest from aprox. one month ago (they had the repository active since before), and believe me they have deleted many bugs in this time. The problem they aren't a team with many people and always some bugs have to escape.

If had QA, possibly Modest beta would have gone out in more time.

In addition I think this release isn't "official" for Nokia. Well it's paid by Nokia (yes, Nokia sometimes helps to the free software ), but when Modest is the default client (and not beta) we will see the QA work.

Cheers.

Posts: 469 | Thanked: 88 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Montana
IMAP folder support is nice to have (finally!), but I don't see Modest replacing Claws for me any time soon.

One (forced) large finger sized scroll bar and double lined message listings certain don't make the whole app finger friendly. It would still need to address folder selection, scrolling the folder list, accessing menu items, etc...

I'm really not a fan of trying to make apps finger friendly *if* it only addresses random portions of the app and *forces* stylus users to just live with the wasted finger sized spacing.

The only thing that scares me about OS2008 is that Nokia seems to be heading down that path. IMO we made a big jump backwards with things like the forced finger sized launcher menus. If anything is should be a preference setting (assuming autodetection wasn't working for people, it worked for me ).

aside from some unexpected exits - this BETA works reasonably well on my n810 and imap implementation of gmail (with about 12000+ emails)
(i will file a bug report as soon as i can reproduce the crash)

Posts: 696 | Thanked: 1,012 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Asturies, Spain
Modest can handle "mailto:" links in the browser.
As root: gconftool-2 --set /apps/modest/is_default --type Boolean 1

Well, it works for me, a week ago.

Posts: 415 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Austin, Texas
Originally Posted by kanzlr View Post
i've read that modest does NOT replace the built in up just yet, you have to start it yourself, so maybe you use the built in app instead of modest?
Thanks Kanzlr for prompting me to look again! Indeed, I had two icons for email in my extras folder and simply picked the wrong one. I just got Modest running and it is now in the process of downloading howevermany hundreds (maybe thousands) of headers...

I'll just let it run for a while and see what happens. Right off the bat, though, I noticed that the header display is much better...

Tags
mail modest