Closed Thread
Posts: 162 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ United States - Saudi Arabia
- Portrait mode accross the UI. ((A MUST))

Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
Originally Posted by salah99 View Post
Yeah that's a must. All those apps that run in landscape mode will magically work in portrait mode.

I'm calling shenanigans on the "universal portrait mode" requests--much like the endless yammering about "capacitive", it's a hollow criterion for merit based on iWannabe rather than an actual need.

Sure it's useful for one-handed txting, and a handful of apps, but it's hardly a universal necessity. A lot of the Maemo 5 apps are best used with keyboard opened, anyway.

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by salah99 View Post
why come up with this point when it's been confirmed officially that universal portrait support across the whole OS will not happen until Maemo 6?

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by mooninite View Post
It's not "flamebait" it's the truth. What did I see when QT 4.0/KDE 4.0 came out? Everything crashed every 5 minutes. Not until KDE/QT 4.2 did everything become some-what stable. This was only a year ago. Do I really want to trust my phone to a year old toolkit? Ask yourself that.
Just to answer the factual parts. Qt 4.0 came out in 2005, 4.2 in 2006. Maemo does not include KDE so stability comparisons based on it are dubious at best.

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Originally Posted by mooninite View Post
It's not "flamebait" it's the truth. What did I see when QT 4.0/KDE 4.0 came out? Everything crashed every 5 minutes. Not until KDE/QT 4.2 did everything become some-what stable. This was only a year ago. Do I really want to trust my phone to a year old toolkit? Ask yourself that.
Qt != KDE
Just forget about KDE and look at Qt with new eyes and without prejudice. Nokia did (IMHO) a good thing liberating Qt a bit from the K grip by buying Trolltech. It's a fresh start and who cares if KDE is using Qt?

OTOH, Qt is stable and has been used by commercial software (Opera, Google Earth, Skype, etc) for years.

probably: bug fixes, bug fixes, bug fixes and uhmm oh yeah! bug fixes.

We wont get any extra's! only when we yet again buy a new phone

Originally Posted by bxbomber View Post
King of all updates for N900 would hold the folowing:

- Portrait mode accross the UI. (I know it prbably wont happen before Maemo6)

- Flash 10.1 (Sould be 2010 Q1 so might even happen)

- Ovi maps free navigation (as mentioned earlier, Nokia has said every phone with GPS will have this from marh onwards, so in principle it should include N900 hence it will be sold also after march.)

- Some useful Java runtime (probably wont happen ever at least by official Nokia implementation, but it would be very welcome. I have heard of some NWR Nokia Web Runtime or someting like that coming to Maemo5 & 6 but not quite sure of what is it capable of)

- SyncML or some other built-in solution for perfect syncing with Google mail, contacts & calendar. (also won't probably happen by Nokia, but thereare some promising community projects going on that probably will solve this in some point)

- many others ofcourse but this was from the top of my head...
that would be really nice.

i doubt we'll get half of those.
You should double your expectations.

I doubt we will get even one of those.

"N900 community support for the MeeGo-Harmattan" Is the new "Mer is Fremantle for N810".

No more Nokia devices for me.

Originally Posted by Matan View Post
You should double your expectations.

I doubt we will get even one of those.
I dont think Nokia will be so dumb as to not to implement it on N900. It is quite aware of the popularity of the device and know that people will stop buyin if its unavailable. My guess we should hv it till march. Till tat time jus lets put all the pressure on them by spamming all nokia centers with free turn by turn navigatio questions

Originally Posted by niqbal View Post
UI wise, its a silly idea to turn it off
Its a great idea to not be prompted for an action you have already tried to execute.

for example...lets take the iphone, although I think the N900 is a better device and highly more configurable. Has anyone ever noticed that when you ask the iphone to do something there is no response back to the user unless the action failed which make the UE (User Exprience) in the GUI so much nicer and slick, not to mention faster. Where nokia falls down on the GUI side of things is that their interfaces sometime provide too much feedback.

For instance why do i need a message from the hildon desktop saying "bluetooth activated" when i have just selected to turn the thing on. wouldn't it be obvious that it is activated if i just asked the system to turn it on. In the event of the system returning any sort of message back to the user, it should be an error message ...i.e "bluetooth activation unsuccessful" or something like that. My point being many more notification messages generated by the UI should only be there to display error messages to inform the user that the required action had failed. If no message was displayed when the user asked the system to do something then take it for granted that the task was executed successfully.

If many users disagree with this suggestion then as an alternative maybe have a confirmation one can switch on and off i.e "supress system notification messages"

Cheers

Thoughts and comments on a postcard please

Last edited by cliffordpascal; 2010-02-23 at 01:16.

Posts: 61 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ San Diego
Originally Posted by YoDude View Post
Yeah well., just so you know...

My man on the inside Beldar, tells me the next update will come on a Tuesday! He didn't say which Tuesday though as this inside info is hard to come by.
That Tuesday is this Tuesday

Closed Thread

Tags
avoid thread, fictional update, firmware, fremantle, future, goodwin's law, it will be on 12.21.2012, maemo, maemo 5, may be it's a myth?, may be next week, maybe april fools, maybe not, patience is a virtue, patience wastes your life, post generator, pr 1.2, pr1.2, product release, repost, rerun, rick roll'd, speculation, update, worst thread ever