Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
Hey guys,
Does anyone know if the N900 will ever support 720i HD video? The screen is well better than Samsung Omnia HD resolution by far. And yet the same hardware in term of graphic and CPU.

This should be possible to play without a problem, If the Omnia can why can't N900?

I really hope the Video recording has better functionality just like the Omnia HD. Time laps, slow mo and as for the photo camera, smile detection and all this candy bonus would be very blessing.

Don't you guy ever think this would be the great idea for N900?

Why you need a higher res-video, when the Screen outputs a max. of 800x480...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dontales For This Useful Post:
Posts: 999 | Thanked: 1,117 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ earth?
Originally Posted by maxximuscool View Post
Hey guys,
Does anyone know if the N900 will ever support 720i HD video? The screen is well better than Samsung Omnia HD resolution by far. And yet the same hardware in term of graphic and CPU.

This should be possible to play without a problem, If the Omnia can why can't N900?

I really hope the Video recording has better functionality just like the Omnia HD. Time laps, slow mo and as for the photo camera, smile detection and all this candy bonus would be very blessing.

Don't you guy ever think this would be the great idea for N900?
I suppose there is nothing stopping the community from doing this.
It just needs someone to take ownership of something and start coding.

Have you tried using mplayer?
(It's available in the repositories but mplayer is a command-line app. You have to be comfortable using the terminal)

I don't use the included media player for watching video anymore! go straight to mplayer instead.

Posts: 35 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Dontales View Post
Why you need a higher res-video, when the Screen outputs a max. of 800x480...
Samsung Omnia HD = 360 x 640 px

uncle.sam, I know that, but N900=800x480

It would be 720p, not 720i if any. (wiki) and as said it would be inefficient. You can just use a high bitrate with 800x480. That would be the maximum.

Also: Search

Last edited by jayford; 2010-01-22 at 09:45.

Posts: 25 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Bucharest, Romania
We need a way to be able to play HD content, scaling down their resolution on the fly, with video acceleration.

The only way to do it right now is by using mplayer with the software scaling.. of course that is very slow.

If I try mplayer with -vo xv, it can't scale down video that is larger than a certain resolution, ie it can't scale down 720p

Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
True true true.. I'll just wait for it to come

there will never be HD on this device. period.

Posts: 356 | Thanked: 172 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Canada
I can't honestly figure out why people would want HD support on the N900..

The ONLY time you'd be able to take advantage of it would be in some sort of streaming situation where you were streaming HD content from the device to a display that could support it.. but wait.. you can - in effect - already do that, so honestly, what's the deal?

As has been said many times over, the display on the N900 can't show you HD content, nor can the TV-out cable, so WHY would you want to bother with having the CPU/GPU work overtime downscaling it on the fly? I think you'd probably get better picture quality using a dedicated app like Handbrake to do your downscaling than having it done on the fly. You'd certainly get longer battery life.

Is it just for the convenience of not having to re-encode your HD content before you can watch it on the N900? I just don't see any other reason..